What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trip to the bombing range North West of Auckland, New Zealand. We stayed on the hard stuff, I didn't feel like doing any digging yesterday! Still a damn nice place and hardly anybody for miles.

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

Completed an unplanned, but not entirely unanticipated, front knuckle rebuild.

As with most repairs on a 20 year old vehicle, they have a tendency to be more involved than originally anticipated. Last week I had a sudden squeal (like a disc brake wear indicator) at about 30 mph and the truck pulled to the right. Lasted about 2 seconds and then was normal. I checked the preload on the RF wheel and it was loose. Reset the preload and took it for a few mile test drive and the squeal was constant after that and I could feel the bearing intermittently seizing and releasing :frown:. Cruiser Outfitters had a knuckle rebuild kit on my doorstep in two days though... :clap:.

Turns out I had a dry inner wheel bearing and the race cracked and spun in the hub (or maybe the other way around), making the hub race seat bigger than it should be. I placed the new race to press it in, and it just freely dropped into the hub. No resistance whatsoever and even a little slop fit to boot :censor:! The hub was shot, but luckily this is the second time my parts cruiser has come through in a pinch. I pulled the hub on that one this AM and the new races pressed in just fine. As an aside, if you have room to store one, I cannot recommend enough getting a parts vehicle. Mine cost me $700 and it has paid for itself already. Like having a spare EVERYTHING :D.

bearing race.JPG

I also noticed the piston boots are torn on the brake caliper so I ordered new calipers from NAPA to arrive tomorrow. When I'm done, the LX will have new wheel bearings, new trunion bearings, new seals, new rotors, new calipers, new brake lines. and new pads on the front axle. Should be good for at least another 100K. The last front end service I have a record for is at 100K and the truck just turned 245K. It was high time for a rebuild.

Pet peeves from prior POs…
  • The use of oversized SAE hardware in stripped out bolt holes in both the wiper retainers and spindle mounting bolts.
  • The spindle bolts looked like someone had taken a hammer to them. I had to run the flats on the grinder to get a 14mm socket to even fit again!
  • RTV/Silicone on EVERY possible seal, gasket, or bolt on the knuckle/spindle. GOOD GRIEF!
Other than that it was a great learning experience and many thanks to the MUD brain trust and the hundreds of threads discussing every possible variation on this service. It made it a fun project.

IMG_8131.JPG

Done.JPG

Any DIY repair (we’re saving money, right?;)) is also an excuse to get a tool that you didn't have before. I needed a way to clean all the old greasy components and so I picked up a Harbor Freight 20 gal parts washer. 10 gallons of diesel later and I'm in business. it works great!

IMG_8132.JPG

Last edited:
Decided to tackle an exhaust leak between the manifolds and the down pipe. I was hoping for the best, but no, that didn't happen :lol:

Long story, I replaced the cats a couple years ago with magnaflow parts. While the pipes were good quality, the gaskets were not. They blew out after a year or so. When R&R them, the nuts galled the studs. I managed to clean up the threads somewhat, but from then on the nuts would not stay tight. Fast forward to this weekend, new OEM studs and nuts in hand, I started taking things apart.

Two of the four nuts came right off. One siezed and snapped the stud, the other stripped half way off and had to be cut off. I then tried to weld nuts to the studs, but welding upside down just wasn't working. So off came the manifolds. That went surpisingly easy, but dang Toyota, did you really have to add an extra stud on the rear manifold?!?!? That one was a bear to get to.

So next step was to remove the old studs from the manifolds. They did their best not to leave, but a dozen 1/2" nuts and a welder got the job done:

RHKjL_apDnj_LYNb7nCSJvbDwpqPcUxaHBoKPoJa1Lq_0drlkaiZdFRu3NjycwUHb-5mTu1xbLNRWJmc6f2kcWpqi_DN0jH5s8r3CWbCh_niOwEOxKtHisowTZi2NhxF0a7-th2ZoFbTFK145NkphCVbGD7IaUrVER_uf9_-O894ZmQC0DYAy8JmaG2Tm9a7JQl8qxFu8iznSFKT3YveXsJ_Z0ODjsi9LY6qBcXpny6jKBv65z_7AE7Ze_PZ7h2t1CJMQsFHGp3yuHkHiflg6wWdZiN3JwCqt53I1uHKxwnyrvLQ93sJy1e__jth7kV1XpJTjMRtwnyyQPg4nqKgfTqpJmok4R8Z5OETAr1KGAh6bi3Hyc71dv_YMXSAoRHDnjsL3GNaGq1Z2UlGX3Psq1ehNxqwNIE9edkpC-5Ru7Glj0iLen3dKbhswt6HGA0-SCUFU1q7Ny5JGbw9tDbADGmiOCNQXoTFLi0yrEQ4u6DIdUt5m3mY-5w5-MiJ6OEYoEhDsBBeJo5_5tG8fGsdl5dZpEBmDsWHyQvHJ4NPhZRzI3Phufu_lAW3kXBREpgKBQEWJQ4WWKIoewwVu2XIac77Qr27ucxxl0LuqVUzakwEj4xFQQuWc5G3Zg=w1278-h959-no

I'm waiting on new gaskets to finish up the job. Looking forward to not hearing an exhaust leak :bounce:

Oh, and noticed that the AC system I just resealed is leaking :bang: The rear head on the compressor is weeping oil. New seal kit ordered for that job, maybe next weekend...
After doing all that hard work, blast and paint the manifold before refitting it ;)

That's because it's a bombing range! :)

Yes, there was some tongue and cheek in the meaning when I wrote that. Actually they have a flag system, and you don't go there when the red flag is up. That said, I'm not sure what the New Zealand Air Force would use to deliver ordinance these days. Probably an 80 Series Landcruiser? They certainly don't have anything with and sting these days.

Ordered up 100 ct of body panel clips this past weekend. They came in and looked good so I ordered 200 more. Spent about 3 hrs today replacing every body panel clip on the 92 and most on the 93. Seems trivial but really enjoyed doing it.

Heading to the Snow this week, so an excuse to get some more gear!

Got a new Recovery Kit and High Lift Jack!
20170724_170110 by Shane, on Flickr
20170724_170103 by Shane, on Flickr

Got the High Lift/Shover holder kit!
20170805_152210 by Shane, on Flickr
20170805_152427 by Shane, on Flickr
Just need to buy a shovel!
2017-08-06_09-53-33 by Shane, on Flickr
Probably the last time she will fit in the Garage :(
Garage-1197 by Shane, on Flickr
Hard wired the Dash Cam, does the job for an Ebay Cheapie!
20170729_163149 by Shane, on Flickr

supraboner

Amazon was running $6 off Philips headlight bulbs, so I replaced my Sylvania bulbs with Philips 9006 CrystalVision Ultra headlight bulbs. In these photos the old Sylvania bulbs are on the passenger side and the new Philips are on the driver side. 3 minute upgrade well worth the $17.

IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1829.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom