What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my trail tailor bbq pit. Painted it and mounted it, then drove to Houston.
1422150339165.jpg

1422150364938.jpg

1422150387028.jpg

1422150410724.jpg

What lift did you put on? I like the ride height.

OME. The springs are the heavies (CS004Fs) up front and mediums (CS017RB) for the rear. I got a budget kit and some greaseable shackles from Cruiser Outfitters because I'd heard such positive things about them on Mud - and it was a good buying experience. The only thing I did different from most installs was leaving the rubber pad under the new rear springs instead of using the center bolt spacers, which I think reduces the lift on the rear end by about 1/4".

Ordered new OEM front/rear brakes (calipers, discs, drums, lines, hardware, MC, etc.), axle hardware, found two new OEM front door limiters, got front & rear axle housings powder coated.

Then I had an anxiety attack/neural meltdown when I saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11157803436...9&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

**** me sideways. . .

That rig has been for sale for months. I don't know if he took it off the market for a while or what, but it has been around for sale for at least 4-5 months.

Started taking out the headliner today. Decided to do it in sections and started with the back. Holy crap, y'all weren't kidding about the insulation being glued in. Huge PITA.

1422230301232.jpg

1422230329438.jpg

Last edited:
OME. The springs are the heavies (CS004Fs) up front and mediums (CS017RB) for the rear. I got a budget kit and some greaseable shackles from Cruiser Outfitters because I'd heard such positive things about them on Mud - and it was a good buying experience. The only thing I did different from most installs was leaving the rubber pad under the new rear springs instead of using the center bolt spacers, which I think reduces the lift on the rear end by about 1/4".
FYI - using the rubber isolator with the OME springs is dangerous. The spring pack is thicker than stock so the metal hat, with the top rubber pad, doesn't contact the U bolt plate. This allows the rubber to compress until it fails. Over time it will split, leaving the U bolts loose.

Please consider removing the isolators and hat and replace them with the centering bushing as designed.

It's a little hard to tell in those pictures, and the back is obviously already out, but the headliner was in really bad shape. I imagine most 25 year old headliners are all in some state of disrepair, but this one is really brittle, has a ton of tears, the pillars are nothing but foam, and most of the back was already hanging down.

I was already planning on getting a few gallons of grey monstaliner to do the floor so I figured I'd go ahead and hit the whole interior with it. Then I found @goldchaser's build thread and decided that this is the look I want to go for.

roof-medium-jpg.399832

Last edited:
It's a little hard to tell in those pictures, and the back is obviously already out, but the headliner was in really bad shape. I imagine most 25 year old headliners are all in some state of disrepair, but this one is really brittle, has a tone of tears and the pillars are nothing but foam, and most of the back was already hanging down.

I was already planning on getting a few gallons of grey monstaliner to do the floor so I figured I'd go ahead and hit the whole interior with it. Then I found @goldchaser's build thread and decided that this is the look I want to go for.

roof-medium-jpg.399832
Dig it, I hadn't seen that thread.
I was curious because Toyota seemed to have worked out the headliner issues by the time of the 62 and mine has held up well. If yours was trashed, then, makes sense to me...

FYI - using the rubber isolator with the OME springs is dangerous. The spring pack is thicker than stock so the metal hat, with the top rubber pad, doesn't contact the U bolt plate. This allows the rubber to compress until it fails. Over time it will split, leaving the U bolts loose.

Please consider removing the isolators and hat and replace them with the centering bushing as designed.

Thanks. I see the gap your talking about. Will keep a close eye on it and will consider taking those items out. Has anybody experienced a failure of this type? Just curious because the rubber is confined by the hat and the u-bolt plate, in compression sandwiched in by 90 ft-lb of torque on each nut, even if it split why would the u-bolts loosen?
image.jpg

installed my rebuilt starter, had no idea that little 3b could turn over so smoothly!

and cleaned all the connections on the 8274 after it tried to ground through the cable while i was holding it... (pre-clean picture)

Thanks. I see the gap your talking about. Will keep a close eye on it and will consider taking those items out. Has anybody experienced a failure of this type? Just curious because the rubber is confined by the hat and the u-bolt plate, in compression sandwiched in by 90 ft-lb of torque on each nut, even if it split why would the u-bolts loosen?View attachment 1022758
Wow, I was not able to reinstall the metal spring hat over the OME, you may be fine with it setup like that.
What @Juggernaught was referring to is if/when the rubber disintegrates there could be room leftover for things to move around.

^^ This.

Most OME spring packs will leave a 1/4" gap between the plate and the hat's feet. Either you have a light pack or you've squeezed them extremely tight. When the rubber splits and crumbles, that gap will diminish and the U bolts lose their tension. This allows the axle to move around on the springs changing the thrust angle erratically. In an unlikely, worst case scenario the nuts could fall off of the U bolts.

This is a long term problem. Your truck isn't unsafe at the moment. The rubber isolators are pretty tough. I'm suggesting that the $20 expense of the centering bushings is well worth the time to install.

Adjusted my valves on the '84 and thought about which 60 I want to put my new OME heavy kit on. I was sure I was gonna put it on the '84 garage queen but now I am thinking about putting it on the '87 hunting truck, which is full time offroad and could really use new springs after 15 years of hauling corn to feeders. Maybe I will do one and just HAVE to do the other. The :princess: has been pretty understanding about such things lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom