What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got my White Knuckle sliders on…after having them sit in my shop for 5 months!

IMG_6966.jpeg

IMG_6967.jpeg

IMG_6968.jpeg

IMG_6969.jpeg

Timothy Lake? I'm always envious of you Portland folks and your proximity to awesome wilderness.

That’s trillium lake! It’s crazy, that whole area was completely covered in snow in late October. It all melted now. We got the tree a little west on lolo pass!

Put new 70 series mirrors on the fj62 bases. Mostly plug and play but damn the screws holding the chrome on the 70 series base are soft!!! Still working to extract a stripped one from the passenger side but driver side is perfecto!!!

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7008.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

Did you use a JIs screwdriver?
I did not. Used a standard Phillips with a lot of force. My neighbor (who love challenges like this) literally just got the stripped screw out.

Adding JIS set to my kit right now.

Installed a new steering wheel. I can’t find many details on this variant so any help is appreciated. It’s identical to the late model 40 steering wheel, but in brown to match a 60 interior. I think they came out of manual steering 1981 BJ60s, from Canada and possibly the Middle East. This one in particular did come from a fellow Mud guy in Canada. It’s about 2” bigger in diameter so I tilted the column forward one click. I’m 5’10” and scrawny so I have no problems with the size. I love the amount of gauge visibility I have now, especially for my aftermarket gauges down low.

BBBF8727-706B-40FF-B8F5-623C736CC429.jpeg

I did not. Used a standard Phillips with a lot of force. My neighbor (who love challenges like this) literally just got the stripped screw out.

Adding JIS set to my kit right now.

Oh man your screwdriving experience isabout to change completely on these trucks with JIS Screwdrivers haha. A set of vessel JIS Screwdrivers was an absolute game changer for me and not stripping "phillips" heads haha

Installed a new steering wheel. I can’t find many details on this variant so any help is appreciated. It’s identical to the late model 40 steering wheel, but in brown to match a 60 interior. I think they came out of manual steering 1981 BJ60s, from Canada and possibly the Middle East. This one in particular did come from a fellow Mud guy in Canada. It’s about 2” bigger in diameter so I tilted the column forward one click. I’m 5’10” and scrawny so I have no problems with the size. I love the amount of gauge visibility I have now, especially for my aftermarket gauges down low.

View attachment 3492396

School bus conversion has now been completed! This steering wheel is awesome. Im still looking for the hj60 steering wheel center,. The wheel itself is the same as the fj62 but the center is slightly different.

s-l1600.jpg

Oh man your screwdriving experience isabout to change completely on these trucks with JIS Screwdrivers haha. A set of vessel JIS Screwdrivers was an absolute game changer for me and not stripping "phillips" heads haha
I have some JIS bits for my drill from when I did my oil pump cover on my 80, but didn't even connect the dots for this. Thanks for the heads up!

Well this was a month long endeavor of trying to find time. I had some vibration starting when I was hitting about 45 MPH. Thought it was tires being low in air. It turns out the bolts on the U-Joint to the pinion flange were backed off. 3/16"-1/4" gap between the two. The diff was covered in oil. I disconnected the drive shaft and wouldn't you know there was a fun amount of wiggle so pinion bearing replacement it is. I went ahead and drained the diff and it was oh so sparkly. So now I'm looking at ring/pinion/bearing replacement.

SOR had a full blown replacement diff for $400. You mean I don't have to pull/press bearings and make sure tolerances were in line on reassembly? Sold. I also picked up axle bearing replacement kit and drum brake kit.

FSM is solid for all of this, and thanks to this wonderful community there are plenty of videos and resources to help guide what not to and not to do.

The whole process was straight forward. I also sanded and painted drums while I was at it. The diff weighs about 70 lbs, but with the HJ on jack stands I had enough room to remove and lift the replacement easy enough. The only thing I struggled with for half a second was which direction to turn the brake adjuster to get the drums off. Really humbling moment. Greasy job, but not one to be scared of if you want to save a few bucks.

View attachment 3492396
Does the back have a part number on it? You can reverse look up the models it was for.

Diesel dripping and fume smell made me open the right panel and discovered that the venting plastic was broken.
_sY1ce9mIiQ-K1gNUfm_ct9TQj2bQBcPxG1obAX_9pQ=_plaintext_638367567096889703.jpg
1701160288962.jpeg

I bolted it temporarily until i can find a hollow bolt / stud 12 mm so I can thread it in (with some sealant that wont be effected by diesel). Also replaced some worn tubes.
1701160402861.jpeg

1701160711957.jpeg
1701160453642.jpeg

Not professional by any means but the leaking and smell was too much. (Every one kept making fun of my rig peeing diesel ....... )

wits' end and some others also sell Vessel JIS bits, which are great for whatever tool with a bit holder. I keep meaning to paint mine a different color to identify them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom