What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beautiful rig, the wheel/tire combo looks great! I need to clean my factory wheels up a bit too and remove some areas of surface rust, did you use any polish or coating after the simple green? Did the steel wool pads scratch the wheels at all? I’ve read a little aluminum foil works well too and is softer, may start with that and increase to steel wool as needed.
Thanks!
I cleaned all the heavy/loose debris off first with soap and water. Then I sprayed them down with simple green and rubbed them with the 0000 steel wool with the simple green soaking on the wheels. The 0000 is very fine so it didn't scratch the finish. This process removed A LOT of the harder rust deposits in the finish that you wouldn't think would come off.

One of my wheels is the spare that had been underneath the truck for who knows how long. It was covered in dirt and surface rust and I was amazed that it cleaned up like new. Wish I had some before and after pictures. I plan to hit them with some Mothers metal polish next to shine them more, but haven't done so yet.

1988 HJ61 @swedenhj61 instagram
Fixed turbo cooling. 30 min work.
20230403_143429.jpg
20230403_142347.jpg
20230403_142353.jpg

Built a winch tray and installed a new winch. I cut the factory bumper and it is bolted to the winch tray. Next I will fabricate plates to weld the bumper sections back into one bumper. Trying to get a factory looking install and keep the bumper in the factory location. I don't like when the bumper is moved way forward to make room for the winch.
FmaBmO5HkoomqHVy9Z9ZVSUEEzcazr_TvW-g7DpHPbaQB6DmiTkpC9b_mbekvFJaY2Q57NL7dQoRkxLgZvUojMRERzy0GbcHCz9dKwd0pLbmnxSTF3_y9q2Zx66vW3IDNpsMPm-C47skXltXCltDsRGZf4opJ32dVTUOVm4xFH8BsL1fd8YuWgZue8p6RIbb70BR7EnBCrQxRiBVi3SfxHvCr5ROO8uWesV7_lGUeIUFsRaDcQMvAk1NTddzjePZ6x58yNrqZ-h6ADwjy7E2YZLM2yqgdJqs-GLrrsaeeocQmrWFe88E7JPpUcpgetItB2wY5UmkWpaldiL3lpR0o8g8-a-T6rad-GKEpapexyQwLjC7IBj0W6mpnxTVc6mpvhNNiJq-Mn8MO5qIrj8eA6MzB9MutaNyeP0UnanRG6D4pOLdjVaUugEsITpgDldJGsXOouxnmEyAymFdM1W4S17OC3KZdIFlmpk-35tkNLC9ypub5v5whEMwVnkja7o2qz_CJe4cX0BG3AELcBM3D-V8_tjNB1kFbIVyZ784V3vfuC5IhQzXVzI5zPGol0aIhjbbloSC8KawIfzTzFlJLCgbFplMCXjgiS6ppLHXZQ10FVjw5UgCRr3_8vkG6bf2Z0409Rs_IGYE0h_l4wU1A-xGIO7Iz7QH4fzAqZUmEG7ITC0YxOldnF7P-sZcz9VFydLa5KIIfmJoL4iyS0vPjeFTB2y16fcNekt-_YzU4Anzj0Z8iuvK_7hmboxAPA78wA9Hbe8V4o7eau5uhiPvltynZ7xS8j4Cs1jmY9Hjx_qW5M1aVlX9D9T8yk-q1xlov8b5xjSsby4yKEW49oWiIj_dqZiJDfzCTEVVOZZTLAlSIiwq4-Z6MWhAVZxdrECsD1TgC5PwVStqCvP3UEiw3fu3SPulvLaf1fLUXwV-zL7Y=w678-h904-s-no

FJ60 winch.jpg

Thanks!
I cleaned all the heavy/loose debris off first with soap and water. Then I sprayed them down with simple green and rubbed them with the 0000 steel wool with the simple green soaking on the wheels. The 0000 is very fine so it didn't scratch the finish. This process removed A LOT of the harder rust deposits in the finish that you wouldn't think would come off.

One of my wheels is the spare that had been underneath the truck for who knows how long. It was covered in dirt and surface rust and I was amazed that it cleaned up like new. Wish I had some before and after pictures. I plan to hit them with some Mothers metal polish next to shine them more, but haven't done so yet.
Thanks for the info! I cleaned my wheels up this afternoon before I washed the 62, #0000 steel wool and simple green worked great! Mine are in pretty good shape except for a few stubborn rust spots, it looks like the cruiser just sat for a while at some point and water pooled in the same spot on the wheels.

Not sure these rust spots can be removed, it may actually be through the chrome, but I’m going to try a few other methods to see if I can get some improvement. The simply green did help some, may need to let it soak for a while and try again. Planning to hit them with a coat of Mothers when I’m done.

Thanks for the info! I cleaned my wheels up this afternoon before I washed the 62, #0000 steel wool and simple green worked great! Mine are in pretty good shape except for a few stubborn rust spots, it looks like the cruiser just sat for a while at some point and water pooled in the same spot on the wheels.

Not sure these rust spots can be removed, it may actually be through the chrome, but I’m going to try a few other methods to see if I can get some improvement. The simply green did help some, may need to let it soak for a while and try again. Planning to hit them with a coat of Mothers when I’m done.
I have also used barkeepers friend and that has worked wonders as well on the chrome wheels.

I used coke and crumpled up foil to clean my wheels up. It worked awesome.
Maybe when ya start needing drugs to do a project it’s a sign to hang it up there buddy.
;)

Maybe when ya start needing drugs to do a project it’s a sign to hang it up there buddy.
;)
He got those wheels cleaned REALLY quick

Your grille and headlight bezel chrome - did you buy aftermarket?
No, mine are OEM but it pretty good shape. Only real issue is fading on the horizontal slats but bought some SEM paint to address.

I need to do this at some point. It’s impossible to find a 62 seat back though.

This bolts right in the same way a 60 seat back does?
Just finished this swap, so yes everything bolts right up. I ended even using latch’s from my 60 since they are better shape then donor seat. Seat cover perfect fit also. Also the 62 seat cushion in my opinion way more comfortable.
Having a 83 FJ 60 my seat internals were rust springs that had seen better days. The 62 is a solid foam core way more support.
6CA42B17-C8E9-4988-A4E3-2118DE6354E2.jpeg
C4B527B7-822C-49EB-8DD0-45444700947A.jpeg

Any idea why the wiring harness for Depo front blinkers for a 62 don’t match up with the body side harness? Ended up just using the old bulb assembly in the new housings. Anyways this is what I did today.

View attachment 3292754

View attachment 3292755

View attachment 3292756

View attachment 3292757
I had the same issue. I think I kept the original wiring harness and just forced them into the holes on the depot light assembly. They went on pretty easy, actually. Looks good!

Took truck to smog shop for the Kalifornia smog requirement on a 36 year old truck. Their equipment is "not working" so I have to take it elsewhere. I was told by a local repair shop that many smog check places will not touch these trucks because doing so triggers the state emissions authorities alerts of potential gross polluters. Hoping the next smog shop equipment is "working" and more importantly that the rig passes emissions.

This is fen ridiculous. I don't even drive this truck enough to put out more emissions than a couple cows farting all day. Will report back later. <sigh>
After filling with premium fuel, driving to burn off accumulated emissions cra*, and installing a new "required fuel cap" , smog passed. Thank goodness. 2 more years of all clear!

After filling with premium fuel, driving to burn off accumulated emissions cra*, and installing a new "required fuel cap" , smog passed. Thank goodness. 2 more years of all clear!
Glad you made it through. My truck is from Oceanside originally and my VIN report has multiple years of "DESIGNATED GROSS POLLUTER" by the annual smog report. I think the original owner sold after multiple years of not being able to pass.

Just finished this swap, so yes everything bolts right up. I ended even using latch’s from my 60 since they are better shape then donor seat. Seat cover perfect fit also. Also the 62 seat cushion in my opinion way more comfortable.
Having a 83 FJ 60 my seat internals were rust springs that had seen better days. The 62 is a solid foam core way more support. View attachment 3296774View attachment 3296775
Are those Wagon Gear rear panels I spy? I need a set but I don't think he's making them anymore.

Took truck to smog shop for the Kalifornia smog requirement on a 36 year old truck. Their equipment is "not working" so I have to take it elsewhere. I was told by a local repair shop that many smog check places will not touch these trucks because doing so triggers the state emissions authorities alerts of potential gross polluters. Hoping the next smog shop equipment is "working" and more importantly that the rig passes emissions.

This is fen ridiculous. I don't even drive this truck enough to put out more emissions than a couple cows farting all day. Will report back later. <sigh>
The smog machine is is connected directly to state data base and automatically sends the failed report as soon as you fail. Some shops with older equipment that is not online will do a "Tune check" before hooking up to big brother. I have an out of state home and register mine out of state. I pass emissions by a huge margin but would fail visual due to my fuel injection install. So I guess clean air is not the main goal?

Are those Wagon Gear rear panels I spy? I need a set but I don't think he's making them anymore.
You spied correctly. The P.O. put them in, when I was looking for a 60 series wasn’t even one of the things I was thinking about. But after having them, love the extra storage space they add.

Owner just bought this FJ60 said it was smoking really bad.
Diagnosed it and turned out to be a broken radiator T flushing coupler. Added water and it is running cool now. found an exhaust leak that needs to be addressed.
After getting it fired up and running removed radiator and I am having it cleaned out and new hoses and clamps and thermostat being replaced.

IMG_0963.png

Helped @cruiserinsanity do a rear brake refresh on the '85. This is on the swapped in axle which had badly rusted brake components because this axle was on a 60 that had towed and launched boats over the years. We used a pipe clamp to compress and stabilize the drums for the attachment of the long upper spring. Once you know how to do it drums aren't that difficult to assemble. We had this side together in about 10 minutes.

IMG_9623.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom