What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered some bearings and seals, and dropped off my cracked tcase half to be TIG welded.
I checked on the guy rebuilding my NV4500 and he hasn't done a lot with it yet. He's going to use a Dodge diesel input shaft, but he found that most of the parts inside are chevy bits, so he's trying to decide what to reuse, and how to replace the stuff that can't be reused.
My trans has the super low granny first, and I'd like to keep that for the off road shenanigans.

Popped on the new bumper 86aggie gave me and replaced all my coolant hoses!

1682631841038.png

I ordered some bearings and seals, and dropped off my cracked tcase half to be TIG welded.
I checked on the guy rebuilding my NV4500 and he hasn't done a lot with it yet. He's going to use a Dodge diesel input shaft, but he found that most of the parts inside are chevy bits, so he's trying to decide what to reuse, and how to replace the stuff that can't be reused.
My trans has the super low granny first, and I'd like to keep that for the off road shenanigans.
Hey @Thechief86 , I have the Chevy version of the NV4500, like yours, it’s got granny gear…. Mine was completely rebuilt last year here locally after I burned it up running it w/o oil. not sure where rebuilder sourced parts from but it runs great now.

Before it got rebuilt I was going to source all the internals myself and @The Phoenician sent me this link for tranny parts in case you are looking

We crossed the point of no return today with the 3FE cleanup, re-seal, refreshed head, H55F, rebuilt t-case. @cruiserinsanity has been doing a great job with disconnecting parts and keeping them organized. He has most of the parts and we hope to have this back together by the end of May (maybe sooner).

IMG_9788.jpg
IMG_9793(1).jpg
IMG_9795.jpg
IMG_9796.jpg
IMG_9798.jpg

Air cleaner was an eye sore in my engine bay due to surface rust. Figured the $120 to have it sand blasted and powder coated was better spent than my time to clean/sand/paint. Was out of town this week so figured was a good time to not be able to drive my 62. Dropped off Monday morn and they called me that it was ready while boarding my plane that same afternoon. Just got it today.

IMG_7531.jpg

IMG_7532.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

Only issue was I didn't notice this plug/part in bottom and nor did shop till they started sand blasting which they said disintegrated it. I couldn't find a part number. Any help? Or do I just tape it closed from both sides?

Missing Part.jpg

Installed my newly powder coated air cleaner along with a new to me cool air intake (mine was dry rotted and crumbling) and well as air intake hoses #1 and #2 with new clamps from City Racer. Noticed cracking between ridges on mine so figured I'd just replace the chain.

Also swapped my Weathertech generics for Lloyd Mats Northridge in the darker grey color.

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7591.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a set of 5 used 40 Series steelies for cheap. They’re the welded variety and only a few years old. I ordered some new chrome caps from Toyota, then went to a mom-and-pop tire shop and had my rubber swapped over to the new wheels, balanced, and installed.

These were previously powder coated. I don’t think I like the color on my truck, so maybe Imll paint them. Gonna run ‘em for now though.

F822EFF2-ED8F-4F70-A17B-D397D7545B21.jpeg

669644DD-1699-4BE5-8793-0C08E7345470.jpeg

@cruiserinsanity and I dropped in on this on Saturday 2023 Family Reunion at Choccolocco Mtn Park - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2023-family-reunion-at-choccolocco-mtn-park.1305210/

The trails at Choccolocco were steep, rocky, and sometimes narrow. The FJ60 was one of the older Cruisers there, and in the minority being leaf sprung and carbed. We had a few instances of finding the shortcomings of leaf springs as compared to coils, i.e. 80 series, and long rear overhang. Gavin's proving to be a great driver on trails like these. Here he is coming up one of the steep rutted hills with loose dirt and gravel.

IMG_9851.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

IMG_9850.jpg

Picked up a set of 5 used 40 Series steelies for cheap. They’re the welded variety and only a few years old. I ordered some new chrome caps from Toyota, then went to a mom-and-pop tire shop and had my rubber swapped over to the new wheels, balanced, and installed.

These were previously powder coated. I don’t think I like the color on my truck, so maybe Imll paint them. Gonna run ‘em for now though.

View attachment 3316799
View attachment 3316800
That color looks GREAT!! Spend that money somewhere else 😆

View attachment 3316799
View attachment 3316800
Man idk....looks like a perfect match imo.

That color looks GREAT!! Spend that money somewhere else 😆
$15 in rattle cans from Home Depot ain’t gonna break the bank!

@WSOPgold2012 I think the gray wheels & white stripes don’t go together. I’m gonna drive it like this for a while and see what I think.

$15 in rattle cans from Home Depot ain’t gonna break the bank!

@WSOPgold2012 I think the gray wheels & white stripes don’t go together. I’m gonna drive it like this for a while and see what I think.
I kinda dig the look but bet the original black would look better. Maybe you could trade someone to not waste a nice powder coat job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom