What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRAIL TAILOR CUSTOMS

I have been contacted by a company that wants to buy TT CUSTOMS and move it to Seattle. I will have to postpone retirement for an additional year with this contract, but will be well worth my time, money and agreed time off for that year to proceed.

This will be primarily a Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol based custom build and maintenance shop with a secondary emphasis as a maintenance and upgrade shop for all Toyota and Nissan 4x4s.

12 lift bays , 10 build/assemby stations, with a full paint and body shop and retail frontage. Pulling in Toyota and Nissan techs from around the US to staff. Approx. 23000 sq ft facility.

I was told I could post the tentative plans so I could get some forum feedback over the 5 forums I belong to. The partner company is well into the research of this need in the Seattle/PNW area and the demographic study with the imports coming into the area.

If all goes as planned TT CUSTOMS will be under new ownership March 2024.

TRAIL TAILOR (fabricated parts) will stay AS IS with me and be up to my discretion as to what I build and what I want to promote for my retirement scale back while building, selling and promoting TT products to the new company as well.

Exciting changes in the next two years for us.

Jason
wow. Sounds great. I know when I get an appointment at Torfab they are always 3-4 months out and they are 2+ year waiting list for engine swaps. I trust them completely and they do great work and really know the landcruiser. I assume the proposed shop would as well?

wow. Sounds great. I know when I get an appointment at Torfab they are always 3-4 months out and they are 2+ year waiting list for engine swaps. I trust them completely and they do great work and really know the landcruiser. I assume the proposed shop would as well?

Quality competition keeps everyone honest and diligent.

I'm happy to hard quote a LS3/Erod swap now to compare to the current rates you are quoted locally. PM me if interested.

One of the goals is to have maintenance customers an appointment within 10 business days from call. With proper staffing and scheduling of vehicles this is easily done. If there is a back-order or delay on parts from day one we will let the customer know of this and schedule appropriately. The customer, nor us need a vehicle just sitting in wait, frustration for both.

Complete builds and engine swaps will be scheduled as they are contracted. No customer will be scheduled out more than 16 weeks (4 months) from contract signing to the acceptance of the vehicle. Prices for swaps will be hard numbers (turnkey-all inclusive) for LS3 Connect and Cruise and EROD packages. EROD packages will come with CA tested smog paperwork as well for current or future registration use once it leaves the shop. This is something NO SHOP in the US offers outside of CA or guarantees for CA registration upon inspection once swap is completed and in CA. We will NOT do swaps on junkyard pulls or engine kits supplied by others. Too much trash out there that we will not deal with or expose our customers to. NEW OR NOT is my/our policy on this.

Jason
TT

Wheeled it😎
20230220_155516.jpg
20230220_173159.jpg
20230220_134103.jpg

Land Between The Lakes near Dover,TN.

I didn't realize it was 100 miles from Nashville. A little bit of a haul, but I'll have to go out there sometime. Looks like a good place to ride. I've heard of a lot of people going out there. My neighbors took their Rubicon there last year.

This week I spend time working on the body of my 60 which was long overdue since the last time I did anything to it was 2009. My paint is shot along with minor damage from wheeling, a few on road fender benders and some minimal rust at the rockers and fenders. The patina has left at least 3 different shades of blue so I thought finding a match was going to be impossible. Turns out Lowe's carried a Krylon Fusion paint that matches my faded blue and in a matt finish which was perfect. Wire wheels, Naval Jelly, Bondo and paint and she's looking good again (well, if you like patina). I had painted the front end in a blue that didn't match at all after getting rid of some rust almost 2 years ago and my wife hated it. Now that is gone as well. I do love the patina and even did a little faux failed clear coat on the newly painted areas to try and make it match. I even found the dealer installed body trim bumpers online to replace 2 that were missing. One more crushed passenger door to fix and the body is done.

View attachment 3255789
IMG_20230222_142220918_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230213_175340519.jpg
IMG_20230220_123819047_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
This week I spend time working on the body of my 60 which was long overdue since the last time I did anything to it was 2009. My paint is shot along with minor damage from wheeling, a few on road fender benders and some minimal rust at the rockers and fenders. The patina has left at least 3 different shades of blue so I thought finding a match was going to be impossible. Turns out Lowe's carried a Krylon Fusion paint that matches my faded blue and in a matt finish which was perfect. Wire wheels, Naval Jelly, Bondo and paint and she's looking good again (well, if you like patina). I had painted the front end in a blue that didn't match at all after getting rid of some rust almost 2 years ago and my wife hated it. Now that is gone as well. I do love the patina and even did a little faux failed clear coat on the newly painted areas to try and make it match. I even found the dealer installed body trim bumpers online to replace 2 that were missing. One more crushed passenger door to fix and the body is done.

View attachment 3255789
View attachment 3255793View attachment 3255794View attachment 3255797View attachment 3255801
Sweet looking truck! Nice work.

If you are replacing your seatbelts, the “charcoal” colored seatbelts look better than the regular grey belts from seatbelt planet. The grey is more of a match to the metal lighter grey in the dash.

Here are 2 pics of them in the truck and a pic of fj62 stock rear seatbelts in my 60 for reference.

The seatbelt quality is super nice. Definitely worth it. I will say though, before you order, call and make sure they use Grey accent plastics on your seatbelts. For some reason they use black plastic bits on the charcoal seatbelts. If you ask them before they build your seatbelts to use the grey accents, they will do it. I learned this the hard way

69CB53C7-0D64-4A8F-A65F-CD7310476CF5.jpeg

E673B0FE-1804-4D82-8D50-5037F9BA4A7A.jpeg

CBFDA4EB-C398-42F2-A170-67197F17D40A.jpeg

Last edited:
Over past few weekends, did a bunch of stuff (side cover gasket, adjusted valves, and new valve cover gasket), BUT the icing on the cake was the JIM C recurved and rebuilt distributor install (still smogged but EGR disconnected). Dissy went in perfectly on first try! Truck already ran really well (after Jim C carb rebuild) but the new dissy made it run surprisingly even smoother.

Also installed new AC hoses I had made at a commercial AC shop, attached to new compressor, drier and evaporator. Added PAG46 and will take to shop to charge with R134 when the snow melts.

IMG_9404 2.JPG

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9406.JPG

IMG_9405.JPG

IMG_9407.JPG

Over past few weekends, did a bunch of stuff (side cover gasket, adjusted valves, and new valve cover gasket), BUT the icing on the cake was the JIM C recurved and rebuilt distributor install (still smogged but EGR disconnected). Dissy went in perfectly on first try! Truck already ran really well (after Jim C carb rebuild) but the new dissy made it run surprisingly even smoother.

Also installed new AC hoses I had made at a commercial AC shop, attached to new compressor, drier and evaporator. Added PAG46 and will take to shop to charge with R134 when the snow melts.

View attachment 3256558

View attachment 3256559

View attachment 3256560

View attachment 3256561

View attachment 3256562
I'm not exactly happy with the advance curve on the HEI or the bushings instead of bearings. It's does really well except I get too much advance off the line on an uphill start. And I miss the the stock unit with a vent. I'm glad to hear you are happy. I got some stuff to send to Jim.

If you are replacing your seatbelts, the “charcoal” colored seatbelts look better than the regular grey belts from seatbelt planet. The grey is more of a match to the metal lighter grey in the dash.

Here are 2 pics of them in the truck and a pic of fj62 stock rear seatbelts in my 60 for reference.

The seatbelt quality is super nice. Definitely worth it. I will say though, before you order, call and make sure they use Grey accent plastics on your seatbelts. For some reason they use black plastic bits on the charcoal seatbelts. If you ask them before they build your seatbelts to use the grey accents, they will do it. I learned this the hard way

View attachment 3256009

View attachment 3256010

View attachment 3256011

Thanks for sharing this. I was just getting ready to order some belts and was undecided on which color grey or charcoal. And the winner is, charcoal. Those look really good and I don't think they would show dirt as much either.

Thanks for sharing this. I was just getting ready to order some belts and was undecided on which color grey or charcoal. And the winner is, charcoal. Those look really good and I don't think they would show dirt as much either.
I agree. Link to the order page? I need some new belts as well since mine no longer retract anymore and are constantly getting stuck in the door.

The charcoal really looks great. Consider calling and requesting the grey accent plastics because the charcoal belts come with black accent plastics.

I agree. Link to the order page? I need some new belts as well since mine no longer retract anymore and are constantly getting stuck in the door.
These are the ones I ordered for my 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom