What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding fog lights to the bumper and didnt want to destroy one of the OEM switch covers so i 3d printed a replacement. fortunately someone had already gone throught he trouble of modeling the part so i was able to simply add supports and hit a button. I'll of course paint it black before assembly. here's the file if anyone else needs to do it! Switch covers for the 1986 fj60 dash board by joorgawt

View attachment 2450891
They make an 80s series switch that fits the slots. That’s what I used on an auxiliary set of lights I got. I can verify the part number later too if you want.

FYI
Toyota Cressida's early to mid 80's defrost switches are the same as that of 60 series...
Another option to keep that original look.. I've bought them as cheap as $10 on flea bay...

Last edited:
Last weekend I put some serious miles on the fresh H55. Awesome adventure with some even better company.
G24A6912-Original.jpg

DSC03026.JPG

G24A6909-Original.jpg

DSC03049.JPG

DSC03090.JPG

Been a little more than a weekend, nevertheless, and happy with the results.

Since buying the 62, I opted to level set and replace the common and some not-so wearable items
- spark plugs
- dist cap
- plug wires
- filter (all fresh oils)
- water pump
- all belts
- thermostat
- EGR Vacuum modulator

That started off as a simple(ish) job and turned into me trying to clean a bunch of build up and re-paint some times. Found out that I was missing the bracket holding the smog pump above the alternator. It was simply over torqued to hold it in place :mad: . Replaced that
IMG_8235.JPG
IMG_8248.JPG
IMG_8279.JPG

Not as clean as I want but a good start until I can get more time.

Since I live in the land of regulations (CA), I had to smog my rig. Unfortunately, the PO removed the catalytic convertors (guess he had a guy) with his custom exhaust so had to get two new cats. Talk bout a tight squeeze with both headers running down same side. But got everything in and she passed smog :). I also need to do some heatshield work since both are routed under my feet.

IMG_8335.JPG

The only bad thing is my Nitrogen Oxides are on the high side (still passed) but looks like I need to fix my EGR.

Next to do
- replace busted oil pressure gauge
- sound deadening material & new carpet (PO removed all carpet and bed lined the interior so horribly loud)
- transfer case park brake (PO installed rear disc brakes)
- lots of little electrical bugs

Last edited:
I put this

27F6FDFF-6A4F-4376-A2B4-9CBE10AA1093.jpeg

into this:

51390CC0-F170-4984-A010-BFFA77505253.jpeg

I also swapped in my new city racer power steering pump and high pressure line. Not quite ready to turn the key yet but 95% there.

Before the install I spent a good amount of time with the dremel cleaning up the intake manifold which must have been one of the tails of the bell curve of the accetable castings....or it had the new mold maker the day they cast it. Luckily the manifold I took off is much nicer and I'll likely end up using it in the future if I go to the 3FE manifolds.

Last edited:
Got some new wheels and meats for the ole girl. Went with Wheel Vintiques 12 series smoothie wheels in 16x8 and Road One Calvary M/T's in 285/75R16, they measure 33" tall. Wheels fit perfect without spacers and these tires are absolutely amazing. I'm blown away at how well they ride and how quiet they are. Next weekend we've got a big wheelin trip planned so they'll get a true test offroad.

Also blew out my frame and oil sprayed the inside with NH Oil Undercoating. I spray all my vehicles with this stuff and they stay rust free, although the cruiser gets parked for the winter so I only soaked the inside of the frame. The whole frame is still factory black, even inside, although very dirty right now.

Oh yeah and totally forgot I was going to roll 150k on my way to camp last night, dang.

IMG_20201003_175258.jpg

IMG_20201002_204450.jpg

IMG_20201004_144927.jpg

IMG_20201004_130427.jpg

Also blew out my frame and oil sprayed the inside with NH Oil Undercoating. I spray all my vehicles with this stuff and they stay rust free, although the cruiser gets parked for the winter so I only soaked the inside of the frame. The whole frame is still factory black, even inside, although very dirty right now.

Mine came with 2" of dirt / grease in the frame built up at the base of the rear wheel arch. I have been pondering for a year how to get it out since the holes on the bottom of the frame are way too small. I really should thank whoever put it in there since there is actually still black paint over a good portion of the frame, at least on the outside. Yesterday I was using bucket handles to stick in there and loosen it up and I pulled a bunch out but there is only so much you can do / access with your finger. So I think the only way to clean it out is drive the front up some ramps, then blow backwards with compressed air to get most of it over the hump. Then spray degreaser in there with a brush to loosen up any remaining stuff, and keep blowing it out until it comes clean. Then spray in fluid film.

Upgraded the rear to 3 point seat belts, replaced the front belts and got rid of some cheapo center console and took out the PT Cruiser seats and swapped back some OEMs after using some donor fabric to fix the seat bottom. Also put on the dash cap. (Pics partway through).

20201003_135029.jpg

20201003_174137.jpg

Upgraded the rear to 3 point seat belts, replaced the front belts and got rid of some cheapo center console and took out the PT Cruiser seats and swapped back some OEMs after using some donor fabric to fix the seat bottom. Also put on the dash cap. (Pics partway through).

View attachment 2455922

View attachment 2455923
I was just about to buy pt cruiser seats, why didnt you like them?

They were fine. I just don't believe in Chrysler parts in a Toyota.

I have the same cringe feeling whenever I hear PT cruiser mentioned in same line as FJ60. Could be the best seats in the world but my inner snobbery against the PT cruiser will always be a hurdle. :rofl:

Got some new wheels and meats for the ole girl. Went with Wheel Vintiques 12 series smoothie wheels in 16x8 and Road One Calvary M/T's in 285/75R16, they measure 33" tall. Wheels fit perfect without spacers and these tires are absolutely amazing. I'm blown away at how well they ride and how quiet they are. Next weekend we've got a big wheelin trip planned so they'll get a true test offroad.

Oh yeah and totally forgot I was going to roll 150k on my way to camp last night, dang.

View attachment 2455594
Your new wheels and tires look great. Thank you for the info. on the tires!

Hope that you don't mind me asking, but what front bumper are you running? I've got an ancient ARB rear bumper on my 62, which needs some refreshing., and the OEM bumper up front. The old ARB would pair nicely with the one that you're running. There are so many ways to hemorrhage money on these trucks :D

All the best,
O.N.

I have the same cringe feeling whenever I hear PT cruiser mentioned in same line as FJ60. Could be the best seats in the world but my inner snobbery against the PT cruiser will always be a hurdle. :rofl:

Ugh same. I’ve always despised the PT Cruiser (it’s not as bad as the Nissan Murano Cabriolet). No way I’d be able to put part of one onto my cruiser.

Your new wheels and tires look great. Thank you for the info. on the tires!

Hope that you don't mind me asking, but what front bumper are you running? I've got an ancient ARB rear bumper on my 62, which needs some refreshing., and the OEM bumper up front. The old ARB would pair nicely with the one that you're running. There are so many ways to hemorrhage money on these trucks :D

All the best,
O.N.
I built the front bumper myself, it's sort of a copy of the new ARB without the hoop, which I hope to add this winter. Then I'll be building a rear bumper with tire and fuel carriers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom