What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw some posting somewhere of a hanging shelf. Decided to copy the concept and I expect this to be useful. Plywood is 50 cm x 75 cm and hangs from the roof rack by 3 or 4 mm braided cord. I implanted 1/4" rivnuts into the rack tubing and screwed in eyebolts. This extra space should be very handing with camping or holding tools. Easy to build and easy to set up. I'm going to place rivnuts on the passenger side so that I can used this on either side.

View attachment 2440925View attachment 2440926View attachment 2440927View attachment 2440928
Was it mine that you saw by chance? haha

DSC02969.JPG

Just completed a cross country journey from Wilmington, NC to Manhattan Beach, CA. Stopped over in Oklahoma for a few days before continuing west. We managed to hit the hurricane in Tennessee a few weeks ago and the heat wave in Las Vegas the following week. Temps up to 116 in the Mojave. I was worried a bit about overheating with the mountains and being so weighed down, but the truck did great. At one point, I was going so slowly (while floored) that a 60 passed me, even at altitude. A few highlights here below

View attachment 2440088

View attachment 2440091

View attachment 2440093

View attachment 2440095

View attachment 2440096
Excellent pics, and a great looking truck. The PX on the back is right on too!

Howdy, All,

I know it's not the weekend anymore, but I've been putting in a few hours in the evenings. Began to disassemble the interior of my truck. Pulled up the rear carpet and removed the cargo cards. Found almost no rust (already treated the minimal rust in the exterior of the outer wheel wells). I've been using "Black Star" rust converter in a rattle can, then adding a top coat... herculiner in the exterior wells. Seems to be a good combo so far. Going to treat the minimal interior rust with Black Star then add fatmat throughout. All of this is to prepare for an all over carpet install (carpet provided by David @dnp ). Started taking the seats out. Just going to leave the driver's seat as this is my DD.

When I got my cargo cards out, they were toast. Cut some new ones. Anyway, lots of good stuff going on. I want to thank the members at this forum. The information that you have gathered here over the years is a goldmine!

Here are few pics:
New cards... drying after waterproofing. The middle card on the driver's side was the only one worth saving, which was great. That one would have been more difficult to make.
View attachment 2437751
View attachment 2437752
I've got to WD-40 my floor to get the old carpet glue off before installing the fatmat.
View attachment 2437753
Lots of dirt but no rust...

The other well was the same. Thank goodness.

Ok. I'll stop there.

With all my best,
O.N.

I have some querstions! I want to do this same thing, I think the outer leather on my panels is salvagable, but the cardboard is not, what was your process for making these? What material did you use? Just tracing it out ? Thanks

I have some querstions! I want to do this same thing, I think the outer leather on my panels is salvagable, but the cardboard is not, what was your process for making these? What material did you use? Just tracing it out ? Thanks
I used 1/8 in. masonite (got it at Home Depot). A 4x8 sheet was around $11.00. I got the type of board with a "slick" side (used the slick side as the exterior of the new cards). Took out my cargo cards (I haven't done my doors yet, but I'm sure the process is the same). Removed all of the carpet/trim staples from the back of cards, removed the carpet/lining and then used the old cards as a template for the new cards; just laid the old ones over the new masonite and traced them. Used a jig saw to cut out the cards and then a paddle bit and regular bit to drill out the wholes for the clips/fasteners (I should have done my drilling with a thick piece of wood under the masonite... stupid. Every spot that I drilled left tearing on the back). Used the paddle bit to cut a hole for the speaker openings then the jig saw to cut those out. Cleaned up the back of the cargo card carpet, and applied water proofing spray to the new cards. Installed Mega Mat on the interior side of the cards (just traced and cut it to fit). Punched out wholes in the Mat for the clips/fasteners and cut out the speaker holes. I put my carpet back on with two-sided tape (haven't had the time to get the 1/8 inch upholstery staples/stapler yet.

The cards came out great. The carpet fits nice and snug. But as they are a little thicker than OEM, I had to get new clips and fasteners. Mine ancient ones just pulled out and wouldn't hold the cards in place. Bought these: Amazon product ASIN B0040CYYWE and they do the trick! I found those clips when searching through old Mud posts. @TRAIL TAILOR recommended them, and he was right.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps.

Edit and P.S. A couple of my cards were totally shot. They were being held together by the carpet. Grim stuff. I fitted those back together and was still able to use them to trace onto the new masonite. No problem at all.

Last edited:
I'm cleaning up my rusty 80 front axle and I'm noticing some weeping from the mostly de-rusted surfaces. This is the knuckle where the wipers go. I'll soak it in de-rusting solution to get it all off but I think this weeping is coming from the metal itself which seems to be cast. Is it porous? If so I think I'll need to heat it up in an oven to drive off the moisture before painting. Has anyone done this?

20200924_094714.jpg

Removed all the crappy wiring from @swingoftheaxe ’s 62 “Gretchen”. Tons of crimp locks, bad tape jobs, residential wiring, half-assed trailer harness and so many zip ties where zip ties shouldn’t go. Waiting for the little brake light cushion so his brake lights will turn off when you hit the pedal.

8C46E526-7228-4781-9216-FB4AA7D8EE93.jpeg
8F83C4EB-CC16-4C2A-BA7F-8E00C2225E84.jpeg
76A4CD44-9D52-40B9-8248-B6AA9151488C.jpeg
D9653A87-E7F5-47DF-A8E1-23E88ACCEB50.jpeg
77EDAC26-1DDF-48AE-9768-E8E072EF1B26.jpeg

Hiked into the wild and did some fly fishing on an amazing river in Oregon. Camped out of the rig. Amazing place!
Your cargo setup (and your truck) are beauts. The scenery is lovely and the trout... what a great weekend. Used to go fishing for steel head up in Michigan with some old buddies every fall. Seeing your pictures reminds me that we should never have let that yearly tradition lapse. Thank you for sharing those pics.

A couple of small things (pedal pads and turn signal lens gaskets) and a larger one (hood insulator with hood support re-glue)
part bags.jpg
turn signal gasket.jpg
Hood insulator2.jpg
Hood support reglue.jpg
Hood insulator.jpg

Adding fog lights to the bumper and didnt want to destroy one of the OEM switch covers so i 3d printed a replacement. fortunately someone had already gone throught he trouble of modeling the part so i was able to simply add supports and hit a button. I'll of course paint it black before assembly. here's the file if anyone else needs to do it! Switch covers for the 1986 fj60 dash board by joorgawt

lc.jpg

Adding fog lights to the bumper and didnt want to destroy one of the OEM switch covers so i 3d printed a replacement. fortunately someone had already gone throught he trouble of modeling the part so i was able to simply add supports and hit a button. I'll of course paint it black before assembly. here's the file if anyone else needs to do it! Switch covers for the 1986 fj60 dash board by joorgawt

View attachment 2450891
Sweet! How about a model for the front speaker grills :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom