What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Followed a Troopy around on dirt roads in the Tillamook State Forest this weekend. Drove lot's and lot's of miles through the forest and camped on a windless, clear Saturday night. This is a working forest with plenty of logging activity. Kinda nice actually as you can get on top of the mountain for great views. My friend was lucky enough to see a bobcat.

The Tillamook State forest is about an hour or so due west of Portland. Another 30 minutes or so west and you meet the Pacific.

Check out my Portland Troopy Build in the 70's section.

TIllamook.jpg

Tillamook 2.jpg

Tillamook 3.jpg

Yeah Joes kid was going to mud bog it. It had a gator skull glued to the dash too.
A REAL skull? I want to see! That would be super cool to have. Are you guys keeping it? I’d totally take it if it’s garbage to you.

Tuned my 4L60E with HPtuners. Crisper shifting, better engine braking, quicker kick-down - don’t need to plant the pedal to downshift to third. Really nice...
View attachment 1717062

Very cool!

How difficult/easy is HP tuners to learn and use? Intrigued by the idea of tuning myself but I don’t have time or desire to learn a complex porgaming system.

Thanks!
Ed

Very cool!

How difficult/easy is HP tuners to learn and use? Intrigued by the idea of tuning myself but I don’t have time or desire to learn a complex porgaming system.

For what I just did with the tranny, it’s pretty easy. If you want to get into fuel and spark, that’s a little more involved. I haven’t done that yet with HPTuners, but I do have some experience with a car I no longer have, a 1970 BMW 2002 that I converted to EFI using Megasquirt. The problem is TIME. I had to read, re-read and read again before it started to make sense to me. I’ll do some minor tweaking with the engine, but need to be careful not to foul up the emission. I’m in California and need to pass the smog test every two years.

Regarding the tranny, there’s lots of stuff you can mess with but I kept it simple following this guide:

4L60/65E Transmission Tuning

BTW, I bought HPTuners to troubleshoot why I couldn’t get my Evap monitor to fire. I found that I had to re-calibrate my fuel level sender.

-John

It’s not the weekend yet, but I found Bean! Visiting Torfab for some mantainence work.

8B49B624-7ACE-4A83-AE1B-FB09CB38B3CF.jpeg

53E0A068-1A55-4078-9F44-B7780FD2AFD0.jpeg

9B4B5949-3768-47B9-BDE7-BD6B70C25046.jpeg

288B2953-C483-4925-9B45-3B8794A0BC49.jpeg

New CSF radiator to replace the broken champion. Looking forward to a much cooler engine. Will be putting the new fan clutch in tomorrow after replacing factory 3000 cst, with a mix of 10,000, and 3,000 cst
6D468230-3A73-4A69-BD94-FE1F710CD283.jpeg

Slowly prepping for SAS in August. The original seats were toast. After some reading I found the Procar seats. They are direct bolt on onto the oem seat rails. An unexpected benefit is these seats create a ton more leg room which is great because I'm not a small guy. Fed Ex forgot the driver side seat at the distribution facility so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Initial thoughts, they are worth the money.

Now I continue to patiently wait for my headers from Man-A-Fre to come in...

IMG_0368.JPG

^^. Nice. How much if I may ask?

Slowly prepping for SAS in August. The original seats were toast. After some reading I found the Procar seats. They are direct bolt on onto the oem seat rails. An unexpected benefit is these seats create a ton more leg room which is great because I'm not a small guy. Fed Ex forgot the driver side seat at the distribution facility so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Initial thoughts, they are worth the money.

Now I continue to patiently wait for my headers from Man-A-Fre to come in...

View attachment 1719136
I have these in my 60 as well, definitely a great upgrade from the stock seats. Only downside to them is that the vinyl gets SUPER hot after sitting in the sun for a while.

Ditched the ugly Smittybilt front tube bumper. Was attempting to wire wheel and discovered under the bad paint job a bunch of rust holes. Sheared w/ delight, 4 of the 8 bolts taking it off. Digging the no bumper look. Thinking I might tackle the rear as well.

FF986E0D-DA79-4A47-9151-7213A55E2419.jpeg

Didn't work on the 60 but did order some parts.
Ordered a new Landtank Fan clutch from WitsEnd.
Should be arriving next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom