What did you do on your 70 series today? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Girls first synthetic oil change Saturday. While it was draining I did a few small things. Cleaned battery posts and clamps then replaced the covers. New vent hose and clamps, hood latch R/R. Hood latches and releases so much more better now >

IMG_9371.JPEG

IMG_9375.JPG

IMG_9376.JPG

IMG_9377.JPG

The cable that goes from my heater thermostat to the heater control valve broke. The little hook that attaches to the thermostat snapped off at some point, probably because the control valve was seized and someone tried to force the issue. I was able to remove the heater control valve, clean it and lube it so that it functioned again.

The cable was a different story. I bought a new cable but routing it through the firewall and through the dash was impossible because the old cable housing is held in place by 40 year old plastic tabs that won't budge. So I managed to pull the old cable out. Then I managed to push a new wire through the old housing. This took many attempts because the wire would inevitably kink as I was pushing it through. But eventually I got a wire all the way through. Then it was a question of bending the wire into a hook that would approximate the old one and attached it to the heater thermostat. Once that was done, I looped the other end to the heater control valve stud.

Now, you can turn on and off the heat!

cable.jpg

cable2.jpg

Added some graphics to the 73!
IMG_0265.jpeg

The cable that goes from my heater thermostat to the heater control valve broke. The little hook that attaches to the thermostat snapped off at some point, probably because the control valve was seized and someone tried to force the issue. I was able to remove the heater control valve, clean it and lube it so that it functioned again.
That's great - I'm sure it was a freakin' hard job. I have to tear in to mine and figure out why I have great heat but absolutely zero defrost on the windshield. I'm sure the cable has broken or slipped out of its tab.

Perfect job on the decals John. I like the 3D optical illusion effect over the rear wheel well.
Thank you!

Yes, that was a bit of a conundrum, they were made for trucks (and 4 door/ longer wheelbase) with flares so there wasn’t a way to cleanly run that part continuous over the fender and the stopping point leaves a gap without the flares.

I am still considering a slight update in that area, just haven’t yet decided exactly how. Adding flares would be great, not certain that is feasible.

I am very happy with how it turned out and created a little separation from the other gray 73’s!

Not in the EU any longer as they didn't want to use that funny metric stuff that has been taught in schools for around 50 years... And they wanted to go to the shops and ask for a pound of something....

Used on all roads in the UK, not just highways/motorway.

As Gun runner says, all count down signs are in yards...
1 minute of latitude=1 nautical mile(1.2 statute)=2000 yards=6000feet...............There are units of measurement in the English system based on absolutes in the world and the multiples lend themselves well to people who were adept at visually doing fractions, but not necessarily literate at math beyond counting money.(It was better in the days of old before free compulsory public education)

Last edited:
Im an 80s child so… flares, KC lights, knobby tires and stripes for me!

I was kinda sad taking my flares off, but I like it either way now.
Did someone say KNOBBY

interco-super-swamper-tsl-bogger-b-33-14.00-15-n1053984-1__22678.jpg

All jokes aside, being from Hawaii you will find this on 90% of pickups/4runners if their owners haven't hit maturity yet.

Hmmmm, I guess today has actually been a few months... Had a blown out front shock absorber fixed in Bogota, then got new no name springs and shocks for the rear to compensate for the added weight. Had a roof rack welding shop make me a small front basket for the roof ($60) and slid the tent back 15cm to fit it. Then while driving to Medellin found a guy selling old ammo boxes and got a few for cheap for recovery gear and a few other things, plus more importantly room to store jerry cans with diesel for the long south american stretches (also fuel cost can vary 2-3x between countries). Had the bottom painted, then the fenders also painted, left the windshield broken for now. Finally bought some $2 jerry cans and crossed into Ecuador, where it turns out I don't really have to pay the international price anyways and filled up for exactly 1.75USD per gallon/

But today specifically? I guess I didn't *do* anything except blow out a birfield and realize there's a parasitic draw, after spending 2 days in Cotopaxi. Arguably the most spectacular place I've seen on this trip... So I had to share.

P1010677.jpg
P1010653-3.jpg

P1010691.jpg

If you drive off without placing your gas cap back just order it off of ebay. I talked to a dealer and two parts websites and none of them had any in stock. This is the most recent part number for a kzj78 gas cap.

gas cap.jpg

1 minute of latitude=1 nautical mile(1.2 statute)=2000 yards=6000feet...............There are units of measurement in the English system based on absolutes in the world and the multiples lend themselves well to people who were adept at visually doing fractions, but not necessarily literate at math beyond counting money.(It was better in the days of old before free compulsory public education)
I will also add that when all those that would be your potential enemy "think metric", have artillery and other systems all designed for metric it is benneficial for your defense if all your road signs maps and measurments are "English" should you ever be invaded. Which absolutely has been a concern for the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom