What did you do on your 70 series today? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Parked the Ute outside at 20F for about 1:40hrs wanted to see what kind of drama there would be not having a glow screen at those temps. The 12HT fired right up.good to know. I drove it around a little bit first till the water temp needle moved off the peg

E8678FFE-01C7-47C0-BF6C-E3C5598607AD.jpeg

Howdy! I'm in the hunt for seat covers, ordered a set from Escape Gear but I was informed my headrest seem 'slimmer' than the ones they have modeled after 🤷🏻‍♂️ It didn't came to my mind there where different headrests 'sizes' or shapes... Mine is a VDJ76 2022 GCC spec... By looking at your pictures I think my headrests are similar to yours, care to share where you got those, which brand?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy! I'm in the hunt for seat covers, ordered a set from Escape Gear but I was informed my headrest seem 'slimmer' than the ones they have modeled after 🤷🏻‍♂️ It didn't came to my mind there where different headrests 'sizes' or shapes... Mine is a VDJ76 2022 GCC spec... By looking at your pictures I think my headrests are similar to yours, care to share where you got those, which brand?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah these are Escape Gear. So yeah on the topic of the headrests. I managed to get the front seat cover headrests on but not the back bench seat before I realized the differences as you mentioned. The fit is extremely tight and not a lot of give to the fabric.

Yeah these are Escape Gear. So yeah on the topic of the headrests. I managed to get the front seat cover headrests on but not the back bench seat before I realized the differences as you mentioned. The fit is extremely tight and not a lot of give to the fabric.
Geez... Such a predicament... 🫤😢 Thanks for your feedback! 👍🏼

PS. I've also included in the order the dash cover but most likely the one offered by then is RHD (my vehicle is LHD) so I just replied 'please cancel the order' to their last email

Geez... Such a predicament... 🫤😢 Thanks for your feedback! 👍🏼

PS. I've also included in the order the dash cover but most likely the one offered by then is RHD (my vehicle is LHD) so I just replied 'please cancel the order' to their last email
Agreed!

I believe there is a RHD or LHD option for the dash cover. The transmission cover is also super handy!

Agreed!

I believe there is a RHD or LHD option for the dash cover. The transmission cover is also super handy!
I'll wait for their response... If that so, then I guess they'll let me know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh yes, I ordered the gear cover but they made aware theirs definitely wont fit... Vehicle is 70th anniversary edition so console is different... Makes sense 😬

FYI Cup holders on cup holders are

Swigzy Car Cup Holder Expander Adapter​

for anyone wondering 😬

1674428252467965795200143969488.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed!

They have a LHD version. I’ve seen a couple.

The headrest cover fitment was terrible on the escape gear covers when I was using them on the original seats before I went to scheel-mans but I was like whatever and continued to use them.

C9234478-1A42-48E2-A41D-7E71FF1236A0.jpeg

I wonder if they have changed design since. My seat covers look different from yours.

I had the side pockets facing towards the door side due to the lumbar knob on the drivers seat left side (RHD config). Maybe that is why.

Edit; Nevermind...I see yours have a different sewing pattern.

covers.jpg

Lots of people these days seem to want the retro utilility look of steelies. Steel rims can also be repaired trailside with a big 5lb hammer and a ball peen, if you dent a bead runing low pressure. 16" gives you more tire options than original 15"s. If that's you then here's a few options: 1. $70+- Tacoma 16" steelie with 1" spacers and dubious attention to install(loctite/torque spec) and follow up after several hundred miles and after tire rotations(retorque).
2. The very nice aluminum aftermarket rims that look like steelies more $ but a more sound choice minus the trailside repairability. Google this and you will find more than one company that makes them.
3. Modern 70 series 5 lug split rims with 6-5 lug conversion spacers. You will occasionaly find these on Ebay. They are likely coming off of overseas toyota trucks and LC's brought stateside for modifications and sent back overseas. With this rim you would have to spacer/adapter issues and the issue with having to use tubes and proper liners. I would have gone this route as I had a chance to score for free, but I had already bought my tacoma steelies.
Thanks for the rundown. The 75 that's on its way here has 3 16" steelies and one 16" split rim.

Have found the following options but don't want to derail the thread.

Volk TE37 17x8 -20 BS: 3.71
Mickey Thompson Classic III 16X8 -22 BS: 3.63
EvoCorse 16x8 -20 BS: 3.71
EvoCorse 16x7 -10 BS: 3.58
SCS F5 16x8 -25 BS: 3.5
SCS F5 17x9 -38 BS: 3.5

Cheapest are the Mickey Thompsons and the SCS F5. And honestly I've found more option in 15" and 17" than 16".

Looking for 33's without rubbing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rundown. The 75 that's on its way here has 3 16" steelies and one 16" split rim.

Have found the following options but don't want to derail the thread.

Volk TE37 17x8 -20
Mickey Thompson Classic III 16X8 -22
EvoCorse 16x8 -20
EvoCorse 16x7 -10
SCS F5 16x8 -25

Cheapest are the Mickey Thompsons by far. And honestly I've found more option in 15" and 17" than 16".

Looking for 33's without rubbing.
Nice list. I would assume backspacing is also important to know for all of these

Sorry to hear the issues with the leather @Bogan, curious if anyone with full cloth has had issues, I feel like the leather is a bit less common. Sucks as its an upgrade anyways. Have you reached out to see if they can do anything about it?

In other news, took the Troopy to Yosemite, glad I threw a little diesel heater in before, got down into the teens 🥶. Those things really pump some heat, it was almost too hot with lowest setting, 18f outside, 65f inside. I have done some insulation work and made window covers but my door seals are swiss cheese so I was pretty surprised. Also added a winch to recently, cheaped out and went Badland 12k. BUT actually got to use it to save a van full of kids on a school trip stuck in the ice/snow so cant complain thus far!

Lastly, I really need to get rid of these Michelin XZLs. They look damn cool but cold weather grip not great and the ROAD NOISE. Ears still ringing haha. Obligatory half dome shot:

IMG_2628.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom