What did you do on your 70 series today? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent two weeks touring through the Mojave. The first week was just us solo then we were joined by some friends: another 75 series, a GX470, and a 4R. So many good spots. Lots of solitude, stunning vistas, dust in every crack (just did laundry in Palm Springs,) and got to use the Webasto a bunch. Suddenly those 5º nights ain't so bad!

My heart will forever be in these dry and arid places.

View attachment 3208429

View attachment 3208430

View attachment 3208432

View attachment 3208435

View attachment 3208436
Amazing pictures!
Congrats!

I've started in on replacing/fixing my radiator and waterpump. The radiator started leaking so I ordered a new aluminum off of eBay. Unfortunately, it's too wide and I don't have any fabrication skills so it's getting sent back. Hopefully, the radiator shop in Missoula can fix my old one. I have virtually no mechanical skills other than changing oil and a few other basic things so this has been a fairly enjoyable problem solving project. I haven't encountered any fasteners yet that either broke or seized so it's been alright.
IMG_8630.jpg
IMG_8639.jpg
IMG_8634.jpg

One of the very few wooden bridges remaining in the state. (No fancy guard rails). 😊
263885F2-4518-4919-8F0F-47D126E44EA1.png

Last edited:
Hopefully, the radiator shop in Missoula can fix my old one.
Please keep us posted on their repair. I am about to do the same shortly here.

I installed a Wheelskin, that skinny slick wheel is not good with sweaty hands when off-roading in Texas heat. I like how it looks and feels, took about an hour to install. Fits pretty good. Also witting for a new rearview mirror to arrive from AUS, mine is slowly coming apart from years in the sun...small details
wheelbj.jpg

I installed a Wheelskin, that skinny slick wheel is not good with sweaty hands when off-roading in Texas heat. I like how it looks and feels, took about an hour to install. Fits pretty good. Also witting for a new rearview mirror to arrive from AUS, mine is slowly coming apart from years in the sun...small details View attachment 3221044
This is the way... 🙌🏼

I noticed: The original tail lights assemblies on my 1985 BJ73 are NLA and really rare and very expensive (if you could get some at all).
I have the EU rear fog light on the left side, which apparently is pure unobtainium.
So I removed my precious originals and replaced them by some aftermarket assemblies. Good enough to get scratched or even broken.
Planned to replace the front narrow nose Turn signal housings, too, but those aftermarket items were totally crap. The lens didn't fit the housing, there was a 4mm gap, causing the thing to not be seal. ☹️. Had to return those and look for an alternative.

The new tail assembly on the left does not have the rear foglight, but a backup light instead, which is more usefull anyways.
I was pleased to note: Although there was no backup light on the left before, the harness connector is fully pined for a backup light, still. Plug and play.

Interesting fact you might not know:
The early models 1984-1990(?) had a different sequence of the lights in the assembly than later models (top to bottom):
Old: Tail Light / Brake, Turn signal, Backup / Fog
Today: Tail Light / Brake, Backup, Turn signal.
That's why the older version is that rare.
Cheers Ralf

Last edited:
I did a scheel-man test fit and install using brackets supplied by @sleepydad69 which allowed me to use the suspension base+scheel-man seat. It was a bit of a learning curve but the install went well. I took it out for a test drive and wow.....new foam defiantly makes a difference. This seat is way way more comfy than the OEM one. So amazed. Time to get the passenger side once I put some miles on this new one to get a better feel of it.

I didn't like some of the hardware I used so I will probably get some better hardware and redo the whole thing again like some flange bolts which I couldn't find today.

scheel6.jpg
scheel5.jpg

I did a scheel-man test fit and install using brackets supplied by @sleepydad69 which allowed me to use the suspension base+scheel-man seat. It was a bit of a learning curve but the install went well. I took it out for a test drive and wow.....new foam defiantly makes a difference. This seat is way way more comfy than the OEM one. So amazed. Time to get the passenger side once I put some miles on this new one to get a better feel of it.

I didn't like some of the hardware I used so I will probably get some better hardware and redo the whole thing again like some flange bolts which I couldn't find today.

View attachment 3221316 View attachment 3221317
I'm seriously considering this upgrade some time in the future... My VDJ76 only has 118km 😂😂😂😂

I'm seriously considering this upgrade some time in the future... My VDJ76 only has 118km 😂😂😂😂

I have no idea what new 70 series seats are like such as the ones in your cruiser to compare but man...these scheel-man are the bees knees.

I have no idea what new 70 series seats are like such as the ones in your cruiser to compare but man...these scheel-man are the bees knees.
That's exactly why I'll do some 'testing' period... If/when the time comes I'll follow your steps with a seat upgrade 👌🏼🙌🏼

View attachment 3221316 View attachment 3221317
Looks great! What model of sheel-mann seat is it?

I did a scheel-man test fit and install using brackets supplied by @sleepydad69 which allowed me to use the suspension base+scheel-man seat.
@sleepydad69 is so awesome. A huge benefit to everyone here.

Those seats look AMAZING!!! I'm most jealous that they are heated. Even in Texas, that's gotta be nice.

Spent two weeks touring through the Mojave. The first week was just us solo then we were joined by some friends: another 75 series, a GX470, and a 4R. So many good spots. Lots of solitude, stunning vistas, dust in every crack (just did laundry in Palm Springs,) and got to use the Webasto a bunch. Suddenly those 5º nights ain't so bad!

My heart will forever be in these dry and arid places.

View attachment 3208429

View attachment 3208430

View attachment 3208432

View attachment 3208435

View attachment 3208436
such a great trip - let's do it again sooooooon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom