What did you do on your 70 series today? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thems some purdy welds...

New lift, wheels, tires, EGR delete, EGT gauge all went in this week. Very pedestrian for most of you, but quite exciting for me.
More to come soon.

300812036_402959315282806_9135098841384046800_n.jpg

301179348_491865146111638_8108622810176050668_n.jpg

301192858_3262977183936620_4298537467071324474_n.jpg

Rusted through freeze plug repair:. Taking my boy to school Friday the temperature in EGT gauge both going up past normal within 10 minutes of the house. Pulled over pop the hood to find one of my freeze plugs had rusted through and was leaking a lot of coolant. Headed back to the house doing the drive a few hundred meters shut down for a minute or two drive a few hundred more.

I repaired using rubber freeze plugs that are available in The help section of most auto parts stores. This is a fairly permanent repair. That doesn't require you to be able to swing a hammer at a socket to insert a traditional metal freeze plug...... I normally carry JB weld putty which can seal things in a pinch to get you home, but should not be relied on for a permanent repair.

When first looking at it you think "how in the world can I swing a hammer and a screwdriver to get that old freeze plug out without major disassembly?"...... Well a air impact hammer can be finagled into position and works wonders. Just don't tear up your block with it.

Did a cooling system modification quite unconventional but effective in pushing the 3B past it's normal limits in the Land cruiser and keeping it cool. I'll post about it after tomorrow's further testing.

IMG20220827185404.jpg

IMG20220827185115.jpg

IMG20220827184956.jpg

IMG20220827175826.jpg

IMG20220827171735.jpg

Installed my serviced injectors (new 1HD-T nozzles) and took it for a spin, seems to run smoother, less clackity-clack old diesel noise, but maybe its just me. Curious to see if I get better fuel economy or less smoke.

Looks like you're already turning ladies' heads! She's checkin' you out!
Ohhh she was checking me out alright. Probably more to do with if I was going to carry her groceries upstairs for her or not, but might have been the shiny new Mickey T wheels...
haha

Got my bumpers front and rear painted after some dent repair on the rear bumper. Reassembled it all yesterday to be ready for a car show today.
Went there, but found it had been canceled 😕.
But it was a nice tour, though 🙂.
Looking forward to the Buschtaxi-Treffen in two weeks 😀
Cheers Ralf

New parking spot.
20220828_152142.jpg

Went wheeling with some friends in OK for the weekend with the crawler . Once I got home I hooked another 73 to my Toyota Epic boat to take skmd pics as this one will be listed for sale pretty soon, turns out I am not much of a boat fanatic and it just sits in the shop under a cover .

EE6F3827-6E87-4F76-9587-56AB4DD03B83.jpeg
74DB85EE-DAC2-4929-9D73-9367139848F9.jpeg
EC27F0EA-36B1-4AD7-9ED7-CB40E85338DD.jpeg
AAFB0963-178B-4A8E-BBA5-24379AA1136A.jpeg

Last edited:
Experimented an auxiliary radiator tied into the cooling system on my bj73. I previously had an air to water intercooler that used a radiator from a Geo Metro as the heat exchanger. This radiator was located between my roof rack and the roof. 2 x1/2 in copper lines painted black are bundled with my snorkel and run from the rear the corner of the hood up the snorkel to the roof rack. There is a 1-inch spacer between the hood and the rear hood hinges giving an extra Gap at the back of the hood to increase air flow and clear these pipes......... I removed the intercooler and got a more free-flowing intake crossover pipe which increased my boost substantially better running and better airflow.... But an issue with heat build up at speeds over 65 mph on a warm day with the air conditioner on.

Just to see what hat would happen I hook that radiator under my roof rack parallel in my cooling system to the heater lines. Substantial drop in coolant temperature. No heat problem at all at 65 plus mile per hour with the air conditioner on on a 90° day. I even have a 30° drop in my egts due to the head/engine being cooler.

For those of you out there pushing your 3B beyond its intended purpose and having heat troubles an extra radiator helps. They used the 3B in Dyna one ton trucks, and 20 ft coaster buses. I'm guessing that works cuz they had big front ends and big radiators. My setup is a little ugly, but it could be done in a method that is far less noticeable if I wanted to. I have a new aluminum radiator, and a high flow 17 inch radiator fan in addition to this.

IMG20220828165931.jpg

IMG20220828165923.jpg

Experimented an auxiliary radiator tied into the cooling system on my bj73. I previously had an air to water intercooler that used a radiator from a Geo Metro as the heat exchanger. This radiator was located between my roof rack and the roof. 2 x1/2 in copper lines painted black are bundled with my snorkel and run from the rear the corner of the hood up the snorkel to the roof rack. There is a 1-inch spacer between the hood and the rear hood hinges giving an extra Gap at the back of the hood to increase air flow and clear these pipes......... I removed the intercooler and got a more free-flowing intake crossover pipe which increased my boost substantially better running and better airflow.... But an issue with heat build up at speeds over 65 mph on a warm day with the air conditioner on.

Just to see what hat would happen I hook that radiator under my roof rack parallel in my cooling system to the heater lines. Substantial drop in coolant temperature. No heat problem at all at 65 plus mile per hour with the air conditioner on on a 90° day. I even have a 30° drop in my egts due to the head/engine being cooler.

For those of you out there pushing your 3B beyond its intended purpose and having heat troubles an extra radiator helps. They used the 3B in Dyna one ton trucks, and 20 ft coaster buses. I'm guessing that works cuz they had big front ends and big radiators. My setup is a little ugly, but it could be done in a method that is far less noticeable if I wanted to. I have a new aluminum radiator, and a high flow 17 inch radiator fan in addition to this.

View attachment 3100040

View attachment 3100041
determined! :D

I could probably have a lead on a 24V Alternator with Vakuumpump 27030-5032-84.
Spec says for HJ45 / BJ40.
Anybody an idea whether that would also fit my 1985 BJ73 3B?
Thank you for advice Ralf

Question: do the drag link ends need to be adjusted out of the box? Is that preload adjustment just to compensate for wear?
I did not adjust mine when I installed them 1.5 years / 3500 mls ago. I checked for play after the install, though. The rubber boot must not move lateral. They were fine.
But recently I experienced significant play in both adjustable drag links and had to thighten them. Not sure why or whether they are worn out again that quick. Had been greased regularly. I actually expected them to hold up longer. Let's see how long they'll last now.
Cheers Ralf

Been mountain biking/rafting/fishing in Carbondale all weekend and last night, I made my way to Silverton to pick my lady up from a backpacking trip in the San Juan mountains. Drove up Ophir looking for a campsite... The Cruiser has been doing great. Had an annoying rattle/click in 4Low that was driving me mad since it's a rebuilt t-case, diff, and rear axle but it was just a rock in the brake guard. o_O

Ophir-9.jpg

Ophir-17.jpg

Ophir-2.jpg

Ophir-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom