What did you do on your 70 series today? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ Very nice! @FJ73Texas More info on that please!

@NM Frontier

I came across the bumper while looking at another Japanese site which had a photo of one with it and after some digging, I found that they are made by a Japanese company called moto-rage and is marketed with the option of having the lights or without the lights. It is not a cheap bumper but the construction of the bumper is perfect and it fits like a glove. You can use the OEM plastic trim on top of it and it is obvious the bumper was designed to work with that OEM trim as it goes around it perfectly. With the exception of the lights, the bumper is obviously Japanese made.

Someone could probably make a copy but anyone that can do so perfectly probably wouldn’t do it for much less. The steel used is almost a quarter of an inch-thick (or 6mm) and it is all welded together really well. I am not sure why it is only marketed towards the 76/77/78 prado but that is how they are listing it. I would imagine it would work on 73/74 platform as well but perhaps I am wrong.

Link to site: 70 | モトレージ - https://www.moto-rage.co.jp/product-category/product/toyota/landcruiser/70 (the side trim is also listed on there as well)

and some photos of the bumper from the moto-rage site and the other Japanese site I was looking at:

bumper1.JPG

bumper2.JPG

IMG_7589.jpg

ランクルGRJ76 リア コーナーバンパー LINE-X.jpg

I guess I've never seen factory ones on the wide nose. The rear ends don't look factory??

I think some of the Australian upper trim models 76 series have OEM flares. The VDJ76 GXL model?

Maybe they are from the same company I got the bumper from. They also sell aftermarket flares. Their site that I linked to is in Japanese but you can see the photos of the flares they offer.

@NM Frontier

I came across the bumper while looking at another Japanese site which had a photo of one with it and after some digging, I found that they are made by a Japanese company called moto-rage and is marketed with the option of having the lights or without the lights. It is not a cheap bumper but the construction of the bumper is perfect and it fits like a glove. You can use the OEM plastic trim on top of it and it is obvious the bumper was designed to work with that OEM trim as it goes around it perfectly. With the exception of the lights, the bumper is obviously Japanese made.

Someone could probably make a copy but anyone that can do so perfectly probably wouldn’t do it for much less. The steel used is almost a quarter of an inch-thick (or 6mm) and it is all welded together really well. I am not sure why it is only marketed towards the 76/77/78 prado but that is how they are listing it. I would imagine it would work on 73/74 platform as well but perhaps I am wrong.

Link to site: 70 | モトレージ - https://www.moto-rage.co.jp/product-category/product/toyota/landcruiser/70 (the side trim is also listed on there as well)

and some photos of the bumper from the moto-rage site and the other Japanese site I was looking at:

View attachment 2865837

View attachment 2865838

View attachment 2865839

View attachment 2865840
Hard not to like that. 😊

I think some of the Australian upper trim models 76 series have OEM flares. The VDJ76 GXL model?

Maybe they are from the same company I got the bumper from. They also sell aftermarket flares. Their site that I linked to is in Japanese but you can see the photos of the flares they offer.

factory flares ..

20210422020000-bfd744e5-me.jpg

@NM Frontier

View attachment 2865837

View attachment 2865838

View attachment 2865839

View attachment 2865840
I'd be a little curious about the strength of a two-piece bumper. Depends on what you do with your bumper. When you put the lights in the bumper like that it does allow you to put bigger swing outs on both sides that cover up the factory lights.

Changed out the oil on the transfer case on the bj73 today. Transfer case noise quieted a little bit but it's still there. Oil that came out was black and had some blobs in it from water....... Going to be going into that transfer case after the holiday.

Put a relay in line to my 12 volt 40 amp power supply that runs my 12-volt accessories. It was direct to battery and always on but it pulls current even with no load. Kills my batteries in a cold weather in a couple days. Relay now switches the power supply on at the ACC. I lose my radio stations memory but it shouldn't kill my battery now.

My Amazon $12 electric fuel pump died in less than one year. I replaced it with a $50 unit from carquest. Pulls fuel from the tank and pushes it through the filter to the IP. 5 to 10 second hold on the manual glow plug switch and that time builds the pressure to the IP starts are now instantaneous.

Visited an expert shop for rust prevention and body cavity preservation today.
They inspected the body's cavities and frame with a camera and came up with a plan for preservation:
- Overall condition is quite good, but rust has started at some points. The body had welding been done, which requires preservation now. That'swhat I expected.
- Underbody sealant is actually quite good. Some loose spots to be remove and fixed. All underbody to be treated with FluidFilm A, which will plastify the existing sealant and penetrate into fissures. Then sealing with Permafilm. They were not in favor of removing all underbody sealant by dryice blasting. Another shop had suggested that, without having lifted the truck for a closer look. Made me run.
Here they said, it wouldn't work well on that type of sealant and is absolutely unnecessary with this condition of the original sealant. Would be a waste of effort and money. Rather spend the money for preserving matter, e.g a coat of Permafilm. Makes sense to me.
- Frame will not be treated with fat, as this would eventually mix with sand from offroading, but will be treated with FluidFilm AR. This can easily be cleaned and renewed at times.
- Body gets Mike Sanders fat.
Unfortunately they are occupied until mid March. Anyway, a late Christmas gift then.

Last edited:
It has Texas registration sticker too. :hmm:
I had assumed it was a foreign traveler spending time in the U.S.
Either way it is very cool.

I had assumed it was a foreign traveler spending time in the U.S.
Either way it is very cool.
That was my first thought also, then I saw the sticker. I wonder if it is @joekatana ’s old troopy? I don’t remember what color interior his was.

That was my first thought also, then I saw the sticker. I wonder if it is @joekatana ’s old troopy? I don’t remember what color interior his was.
Nope , that one belongs to a mutual friend in Austin , remember where you picked up that 1PZ from me 😉

To misquote Seinfeld, it’s real, and it’s spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom