What did you do on your 70 series today? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had Tough Dog on the FJ73 that I got from trail tailor and OME on my current HZJ77.

I liked the Tough Dog more than the OME. OME does have kind of a lean to it in the beginning but it does settle down over time.

Didn't have this issue with Tough Dog kit.

What did you think of the ride and shock feel?

What did you think of the ride and shock feel?

As Joe pointed out, I should have been comparing the two kits on the same platform. I wasn't since it was MWB vs LWB.

To answer your question though, the Tough Dog was superior in ride, less bounce, and the Tough Dog shocks are better and handed turns better compared to the OME shocks. Absolutely no lean from the start too.

With Summer rapidly approaching in Southern Georgia, I assumed the factory tinting wouldn’t cut the mustard with our long hot days so I did a little upgrade. The young man that helped admitted that he had never seen a vehicle with vent windows. 😁
C317351C-FAD6-4129-BA21-1B59EFA9403F.jpeg
1EFC4304-1DC8-4000-8869-8EB770195DF6.jpeg

Gun Runner, is that window film or tinted glass?

Gun Runner, is that window film or tinted glass?
Film
The installers have been in business for quite a while, offer a lifetime warranty and are normally booked 2-3 weeks in advance. I took all of that to be a good sign. I could tell an immediate difference inside the cab.

Last edited:
As Joe pointed out, I should have been comparing the two kits on the same platform. I wasn't since it was MWB vs LWB.

Yes and no, but the MWB had tough dog and rides better than the LWB,,,, that says alot to me,

I'll be putting susp on my 75 and its looking to be between tough and dobby.

Thanks for the 2 cents

@peterb .... “Get back in. That should be sufficient.”
——————————————————————————-
Even after I ate dinner it still wouldn’t fit. 😊

G'Day Fella's,

Nothing to much but the "Battle Cruiser" did achieve a bit of a Kilometerstone (aka-Milestone) today.
I have owned this BJ73 since New (Feb 1990), and it has taken me to some Great locations in Australia, along with some Great Mates, over the decades.

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN4337.JPG

DSCN2797.JPG

DSCN3380.JPG

Conways Gap.JPG

DSCN3294.JPG

No. s***. Is that Wadbilliga Road? (Conway's Gap) - I rode my bicycle up that road years ago. I miss riding down there.

Just installed new seats into my FZJ73. Had to get the seat mounts for the new Corbeau seats designed and fitted by RCI Jeep in Melbourne Florida.

IMG_8900.JPEG
IMG_8906.JPEG
IMG_8905.JPEG
IMG_9345.JPEG
IMG_9347.JPEG

@peterb .... “Get back in. That should be sufficient.”
——————————————————————————-
Even after I ate dinner it still wouldn’t fit. 😊
I used science (e=mc2 / x=y-r+z kinda stuff) to seek a solution. Every result lead me in the same direction (hang a tennis ball). 😊
A1EEEFBD-C726-4071-BA85-E020C032DA40.jpeg

Been fairly busy on my BJ70. I replaced the stock 29" tires with 31x10.5 Yokohoma's, installed OME medium lift, new clutch, recored radiator, new water pump/hoses, tie/relay rods, removed the pin stripe (which oddly seem common on Canadian BJ70s, not sure if it was a dealer thing). Before and after:

Nice. What rear springs did you go with? CS017R A or B ?

Nice.
Regarding tires and OME kit, I did the same. (And most of the other stuff, too).
Is yours actually level? Mine leans to the left (like apparently many trucks do with OME fitted)

I also installed the OME medium kit recently (on my '89 LHD BJ73). Per Cruiser Outfitters' recommendation, I avoided the A & B combo and went with two A springs. Mine currently leans to the left. Wondering if a B spring on the right would have been the better option... I have no aftermarket accessories mounted. In the OME installation guide, they actually recommend an A/B combo in the rear but I didn't see that until after install. Curious to hear other accounts of spring choice, settling, and lean with the OMEs.

1620670249718.png

Nice. What rear springs did you go with? CS017R A or B ?

I also installed the OME medium kit recently (on my '89 LHD BJ73). Per Cruiser Outfitters' recommendation, I avoided the A & B combo and went with two A springs. Mine currently leans to the left. Wondering if a B spring on the right would have been the better option... I have no aftermarket accessories mounted. In the OME installation guide, they actually recommend an A/B combo in the rear but I didn't see that until after install. Curious to hear other accounts of spring choice, settling, and lean with the OMEs.
Here in Germany I don't think you have a choice. Our beloved technical control authorities (TÜV) require manufacturers or importers to do a lot of technical testing in order to issue an official certificate of approval on parts like this. There is only one importer for OME springs in Germany who did this. And they are bond to what they had handed in for approval, which was A and B configuration. So that's what they supply. TÜV has to check every installation and the certificate needs to be presented and the mod is recorded in the vehicle's papers. Any deviation from the certificate renders the vehicle's licence an insurance invalid.

The importer also offers installation; for quite some €€€. So I did it myself. When I noticed it leans, I called the importer for advice. They refused, calling on they didn't do the install. Thank you for nothing...
I did some research. There are also a couple of threads on MUD here.
Apparently, a right back high is observed in many LHD vehicles (provided A and B were mounted to spec, considering that A= "driver" in the countries of manufacturing of vehicle (JP ) as well as the springs (AU) is on the right!).
Swapping the setup usually just swaps the issue. If feasible, one can try to get a "minus" A spring for the right and a "plus" B spring for the left. Other than that, tempering with the spring layers is mentioned. But who can handle this ?
And many just recommend to load the truck and hope for it to settle... ... or they f## don't care (any more), like me. 😁

My 70 found a friend. Finished Phase I of the trailer over the weekend. Frame and all bits down to metal then painted, new hardware, lights Dexter trailer brakes and Redarc Tow Pro installed. I've owned it for 20+ year and it's been in pieces for the last 4 years. Good to see it behind a Cruiser again.

m416-1.jpg

m416-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom