What did you do on your 70 series today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rebuild both front brake calipers and replaced the brake hoses. WiIl also put new brake fluid, of course.
This job was well overdue. The PO just sprayed the calipers to make them look nice. Brake fluid hadn't been changed for a long time.
20210313_145147.jpg
20210314_110249.jpg

The boots on the left where ok though, but the ones on the right were all gone. There was lots of gunk in the calipers, but I was happy to find pistons and zylinder to be ok :D :bounce:
20210314_115044.jpg

All cleaned and rebuild..

20210314_155312.jpg
20210314_172130.jpg

Rotors will be replaced once the knuckles are due. Will happen some time this summer.

Next task: Fill and bleed :nailbiting:
I actually don't want to pump the master cylinder that much. But I can't get any pressure bleeder attached pressure tight to the reservoir as it has no screwing lid.
And those vkuum bleeders also ain't working well as the bleeding nipples suck air trough the thread and they only make small volume.
Trying a "gravity bleed" but actually nothing is coming yet. Will leave it over night.
Any suggestions?

Cheers Ralf

Last edited:
My bleeding system is the definition of nothing special. The challenge is keeping the tiny reservoir topped off. So long as the hose end is well submerged there won't be any air coming back in. Although it seemed like really fine bubbles were getting in around the nipple threads, my brakes were as firm as any. Also have the hose arched higher than the nipple of course.
20210314_133932.jpg

Rebuilding calipers
Made the trip home tonight including 100miles at 65-75mph on the interstate. No issues with the BJ73. I was not running the AC. I don't think I can run 70 with the AC going without it heating up. An interesting note however is that I can drop my EGT's by 50-75 degrees Celsius if I draft in about 25-40M behind a semi. I can run 74mph drafting a semi and my EGT's are less than 600C. This is the best way to make decent speed with the 3b. Pick a truck that is running somewhere around the speed limit and tuck in behind him and let him part the air for you.

Slowly piecing the new turbo setup together. So far I’ve got the TD04l-13t turbo, a 3 inch dump, along with a TD04 -> CT26 adapter mount. Just waiting on the exhaust flange, oil / coolant line fittings, and new intake / charge pipe hoses. Give or take a week or two and the 74 should be back on the road.

Slowly piecing the new turbo setup together. So far I’ve got the TD04l-13t turbo, a 3 inch dump, along with a TD04 -> CT26 adapter mount. Just waiting on the exhaust flange, oil / coolant line fittings, and new intake / charge pipe hoses. Give or take a week or two and the 74 should be back on the road.
Curious on the TD04 vs CT26. I turbo'd my 3B with a TD04l-13T. It works well across the RPM range with no real turbo lag. People say the CT26 is really oversized. All that said the shortcoming in power/boost with a turbocharged 3b is at high boost high load highway speed with hills. I wonder sometimes if a bit larger turbo would be better under high load condition even if sacrificing a bit on the low end. I assume you drove the 74 with a CT 26. Be interesting to see your comparison.

Curious on the TD04 vs CT26. I turbo'd my 3B with a TD04l-13T. It works well across the RPM range with no real turbo lag. People say the CT26 is really oversized. All that said the shortcoming in power/boost with a turbocharged 3b is at high boost high load highway speed with hills. I wonder sometimes if a bit larger turbo would be better under high load condition even if sacrificing a bit on the low end. I assume you drove the 74 with a CT 26. Be interesting to see your comparison.
I’ll definitely have to report back when everything is squared away. Might be a couple weeks but I’m just as curious as to how the turbo will perform over the oem version.

I’ve had the Red Rocket for a year now, and have put about 27,000kms on it since last March, not too shabby. It’s seen a lot of sand, mud, clay, water, you name it, and I’ve crammed 16-17 people in it before. I guess you could say I’m using it a pretty decent amount. I’m beyond blessed to be just 18, yet I’m driving a Troopy around in the USA. I would have never imagined a year ago that I would have an imported Land Cruiser as my daily, or that any cruiser could get 20+ mpg! Anyways, here are my top 5 favorite photos I’ve taken of it, hopefully everyone enjoys them as much as I do! Also funny enough, half these photos were taken right where @robmobile73 was on Sunday haha.

DC141B14-F446-4F1C-8807-EF4842B6A6E5.jpg

9CFE96F5-B2B2-4AD0-B145-471E52F3DB65.jpg

1587B52F-3044-4518-8DF8-5A291E5B67F6.jpg

08947077-7CF3-40DC-ADE8-E5D3CDDEE666.jpg

41DF2CD4-0ECF-4B8C-AA31-68BEC0BEF1F3.jpg

Went camping in the mountains, found a couple of mines to explore.
9ACEC351-A4F3-49B2-A081-2C5E45995B8A.jpeg

0AF0CA7A-8E5F-4414-A2D6-863231AFF3D3.jpeg

I’ve had the Red Rocket for a year now, and have put about 27,000kms on it since last March, not too shabby. It’s seen a lot of sand, mud, clay, water, you name it, and I’ve crammed 16-17 people in it before. I guess you could say I’m using it a pretty decent amount. I’m beyond blessed to be just 18, yet I’m driving a Troopy around in the USA. I would have never imagined a year ago that I would have an imported Land Cruiser as my daily, or that any cruiser could get 20+ mpg! Anyways, here are my top 5 favorite photos I’ve taken of it, hopefully everyone enjoys them as much as I do! Also funny enough, half these photos were taken right where @robmobile73 was on Sunday haha.
Congratulations on that anniversary! Great pics. I have been looking at your posts earlier. A bit jealous as you are not only driving a great rig, but also can do this in an obviously great area, and you are lucky your rig is sturdy and could cover 27kkm.
Please keep on posting nice pics for us to share your dream.
I will have mine for a year in May. And I'm still struggling to make it reliable. I strive for having it in shape by then in order to enjoy it with confidence on trips in summer.
Best regards Ralf

Ralf, were you able to bleed your brake system?
I made a pressurized bleeder for mine.

Great pictures and adventure!

Watch out for bad air in those mines.... I used to go in tons of old mines when I was a teenager, and had no idea the danger I was putting myself in. I'm surprised I'm still alive (now that I know better)!
We have an oxygen monitor that we carry with us for that very reason. Generally the mines with multiple entrances are self-ventilating, but occasionally we will get in one that is pretty stale. So far no properly dangerous air though!

Changed broken u-joint
check yours!
F8463CBE-A17D-4550-876F-0209FF2253FC.jpeg
1C0CAE8D-147B-4E91-975D-82BCE4BEDFED.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom