What did you do on your 70 series today? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seats that actually match the interior. 😊
801BE436-D419-4021-9666-7C8DEDD22B5C.jpeg

Can JBL audio be installed on a Land Cruiser?
I meannnn this JBL Charge 4 does the job amazingly. $120 for Bluetooth and plenty of loud sound, even to the back of a Troopy with all the windows down. AND it matches the paint 😄

IMG_3120.jpg

I meannnn this JBL Charge 4 does the job amazingly. $120 for Bluetooth and plenty of loud sound, even to the back of a Troopy with all the windows down. AND it matches the paint 😄

View attachment 2473999

Your troopy must be MUCH quieter than mine, or your JBL is much louder than my UE blue tooth speaker. I went with grey to match the interior.

auber gauges 01.jpg

I know it's tropical wax, but careful it doesn't melt in the clock pocket :rolleyes:

That was 30 years ago. I don't remember a jack handle or jack. The 2F motor goes up tremendously in my book as one you can make go no matter what after learning about hand crank.
You need to have a special nut on the crankshaft pulley with two claws to mount the handcrank to.
When the engine fires up, this nut will unwind from the handcrank. Otherwise the handcrank will rotate with the engine and break your arms.
So a look at the nut tells wether a vehicle can be started that way.
I had a Landrover Series 3 some years back thst could be handcranked. Great party game 😁

You need to have a special nut on the crankshaft pulley with two claws to mount the handcrank to.
When the engine fires up, this nut will unwind from the handcrank. Otherwise the handcrank will rotate with the engine and break your arms.
So a look at the nut tells wether a vehicle can be started that way.
I had a Landrover Series 3 some years back thst could be handcranked. Great party game 😁
I'd love it if there was 2x2 compression release device that would let you do that with the diesel. Get it spinning close release on 2cyl let them fire and then close release the other 2. Probably too much friction. 20HP 2cyl lister diesel has pistons bigger than a LC diesel, but it is roller bearing and has a much heavier flywheel.

So last Saturday I bought another cruiser. My friend Barry ('Steelhead') had a near identical BJ74 that suffered a catastrophic oil loss last year. Long story; it still runs, but needs a total engine rebuild. He had installed new suspension just before the oil loss. I didn't really want another project, but.... I needed new suspension. My BJ is on the left; his on the right. His has a bit of rust, 275km, standard. Mine is 155 km, pretty clean, auto.

So, I now have a parts cruiser. I had to build a small shelter to store it, then we spent a day getting the suspension off his rig. Winter came early, so we were working while it snowed...and then rained. I wish i had a heated shop!

IMG_0853.jpg

it took two partial days to take the suspension off mine, and then a day to put the donor suspension back.

IMG_0884.jpg

What an improvement in handling! Potholes? Hardly notice compared to the old and tired suspension.

The last day was about minus 10 in the morning, so it was a bit of a chore as I don't have a heated garage. But I'm super happy with the new suspension. And now I have a parts cruiser parked out back.... Thanks to Barry for the help and the cruiser; it has a good home!

Took care of some engine oil oddities this week on my '89 BJ73: The 3BII motor came to me with the oil sending unit installed into a glowshift sandwich plate (between filter housing and filter). In place of the sender on the engine block was an old analog gauge. Meanwhile, the pressure indicator in the cabin always read low and I never trusted either instrument.

1603658203153.png
.... wtf

This weekend I got around to replacing the analog gauge with a new 24V sending unit - made in Japan by Sankei. The sandwich plate, old sender, and filter were removed and replaced with Toyota filter 15600-41010 (original big guy, made in Japan).

After the replacements, the pressure indication in the cluster came back to middle positions (between two middle lines) and tracked much better to engine speed. What a relief to know the pressure loss wasn't real and that I now have a dependable indication in the cabin!

I loaded the 3BII back up with 5W-40 full synthetic for the winter, just in time because we just went from 60F to 10F overnight in Colorado and a winter storm is upon us. Looking forward to some proper 4WD snow driving with BFG all-terrains instead of the old mud-terrains I had on last winter which were TERRIFYING on snow.

IMG_3437.jpg

Took care of some engine oil oddities this week on my '89 BJ73: The 3BII motor came to me with the oil sending unit installed into a glowshift sandwich plate (between filter housing and filter). In place of the sender on the engine block was an old analog gauge. Meanwhile, the pressure indicator in the cabin always read low and I never trusted either instrument.

View attachment 2476041.... wtf

This weekend I got around to replacing the analog gauge with a new 24V sending unit - made in Japan by Sankei. The sandwich plate, old sender, and filter were removed and replaced with Toyota filter 15600-41010 (original big guy, made in Japan).

After the replacements, the pressure indication in the cluster came back to middle positions (between two middle lines) and tracked much better to engine speed. What a relief to know the pressure loss wasn't real and that I now have a dependable indication in the cabin!

I loaded the 3BII back up with 5W-40 full synthetic for the winter, just in time because we just went from 60F to 10F overnight in Colorado and a winter storm is upon us. Looking forward to some proper 4WD snow driving with BFG all-terrains instead of the old mud-terrains I had on last winter which were TERRIFYING on snow.

View attachment 2476057
I had BFG A/T’s on my BJ70 and they sucked in the snow/ice. They were good on my first gen Tacoma. I got BFG M/T studded and sipped and they are awesome, 255/85/16 skinny.

BFG A/Ts suck.

Yeah, well it's still true. I have had several sets of those s***ty tires and I am truly embarrased to admit that it took me that long to figure out how bad they are. :meh:
Tread separations, tire-pulling, Vibrations, cracking, balance issues....... ad nauseam.

Oh, you can't wear them out. Which is one reason they suck. It makes it miserable while you wait to a point where you can defend replacing them.

Last edited:
"Extra Grip" Recaps Tire Size | LT235/85R16 Retread Extra Grip M/T | Tire Recappers

Do they grip well in the woods, mud, and rocks?-Yes. Do they surprise you and others with their performance off road?-Yes. Are they cheap?-At $105 each that's a yes. Do they look good?-Yes, skinny old school cool tread pattern. Are they loud on the road?-Of course they are, what do you expect from $105 mud grip recaps.....................I'm really curious if BF good rich mud terrain TA are quieter or have as good traction as my extra grips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom