What Did I Do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Merle at Classic Cruisers (conversion extraordinaire) told me AA makes an adapter to mate the L460E to the Toyota TC. Not so?

No, it still exists and very viable. This adapter makes the whole process a little easier and I've seen couple of these. I don't know if it's an expensive adapter or not these days.

I believe the adapter is being imported by AA from Mark's in OZ. I seem to recall it was not cheap.

Do you mean that it would make sense to just get a 100 to get the V8 or that the motor from a 100 would make more sense? The 100 has the same motor as the 2002 Tundra, 2UZ-FE, if that's what you were getting at.

I meant that it would make more sense to build a 100.

Like you!

I believe the adapter is being imported by AA from Mark's in OZ. I seem to recall it was not cheap.

the Mark's adapter that Kirk in OH used for the mating from the LT-1 to the A442F tranny was well over $1000 not including shipping--he bought straight from Mark's in Oz because AA was backordered for 6 months.

You might get better results, Juane, if you contact and work directly with Mark's in Oz.

Yeah, that'd be expensive, I agree. However, I'd change the trans to L460E or some American thing. Hopefully that'll make the project easier and cheaper. The ratio on our trans sucks - as in too far apart between 2nd and 3rd gear. Hopefully the GM trans has a closer ratio. Also, it's cheaper to tweak domestic trans vs what we got.

I meant that it would make more sense to build a 100.

Like you!

Maybe a SAS on a 100 would be easier than a Chevy transplant into an 80.

Maybe a SAS on a 100 would be easier than a Chevy transplant into an 80.

An SAS on a Hundy would be well over $15K to do correctly (IIRC, the Blueberry 100 that Christo did cost over $20K!).

A V8 swap--done correctly--would be less than $10K.

As long as prices are being flung about, how much would an SAS on a 3rd gen 4Runner be?

Don't know about Gen3 4Runners (four coils?). Kits for mini's is around $1100-$1400. Ryan once said he would do a SAS for $1000. Plus the axle.

An SAS on a Hundy would be well over $15K to do correctly (IIRC, the Blueberry 100 that Christo did cost over $20K!).

A V8 swap--done correctly--would be less than $10K.

If someone is willing to spend $10K to make a Toylet, $15K doesn't seem that much more of a stretch to keep it a Toyota. Either way, both of those would be outside of my affordability range.

Juane--there is a 2002 Tundra at the PnP in ABQ--there is a 2UZ-FE Toyota V8 available. You should reconsider and put a Toyota heart back in.

:)

the motor is gone. I saw the truck and briefly got excited on Monday, but it's cleaned out in the engine bay. :-(

But, in that same vein, check this out:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...-v8-swapped-1991-fj80-toyota-landcruiser.html
save yourself time, money, and frustration. Just please don't bid against me.;)

As much as I love that vortec 350, this would be an awesome rig.

save yourself time, money, and frustration. As much as I love that vortec 350, this would be an awesome rig.

I agree with David. You could be in that rig for a net $2-3,000... maybe less depending on how much you could get for yours after you strip off the goodies. Or you could buy that V8 rig and keep yours and still be in the whole deal for $5,000 less than rebuilding a Vortec and retrofitting.

There is a build thread for that rig in the 80-section. The guy really knows what he is doing with engine swaps.

-Mike-

Is this the SAME Beno who said thus?

"I must say that without a doubt the V8 is THE correct engine for the 80 series".

IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - V8 Swap Project Begins!

I should have disclaimered it by saying:

1. If you have the money and time...
2. If you have the skill set that Kirk does....
3. If you want it to be something other than a Toyota.

4. I think I said that in 2006!! Times change. People change.

5. I would do a V8 in a heart beat....if it was a 4.7 or a 5.7 Toyota engine.

:)

Ahh, the before and after effects from the "brain washing"....

Ahh, the before and after effects from the "brain washing"....

That must be it ... and Onur is not the only victim. Like I've been saying, I'm not convinced the 1FZFE is the Holy Grail of Toyota's I6 engines. I will admit that a Tundra/4Runner/100 vee8 would be a nice replacement for that problem prone engine.

:beer:

While I will admit that I enjoy the power and smoothness of the 2UZ-FE, doing any kind of work to the front of one (installed in a 100-series) is a major PITA. I had to remove every accessory from the engine to do a timing belt. the number of bolts, brackets and covers was ridiculous. Just something to keep in mind. Thankfully it only happens every 90K and with my few thousand miles a year, I don't expect to do it again while I own the truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom