What Did I Do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I know what I just did.
Not sure how well advised it is.
But, sometimes ya gotta jump when the opportunity avails itself.
Looks like I've just embarked on a long term project.
One thing for sure, I'm gonna need the resources that only this forum can provide.

What DID I do?
I just bought a 1998 Tahoe. Totaled but with intact drive train.

juane
Reminding myself that the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

Swap into the 80 series Juane? Swapping out the rear axle with a Corporate 14 bolt (that would be a way cool mod. CruiserDrew is trying to convince me to go with a 14 bolt for my tail end).

No doubt Juane wants the veee-8.

Well that's interesting!

First you had the V-8 60 series, and now potentially the V-8 80 series...

You better hurry - Cruise Moab is only about 4 months from now!

Yeah, well....
For a couple of reasons:

That 1FZ-FE just won't pull itself, two adults, four kids, a dog, a roof rack full of camping gear and a trailer with two rafts and assorted gear over the passes around here.
I considered a supercharger but was advised (by Robbie no less) that my engine might have too many miles on it.

There's just a mystique surrounding a small block Chevy. Besides, there is a legacy here. How many of you are aware that the original Toyota F- engine was based on the old Chevy Stove bolt six?

Let's see, I'll loose perhaps two hundred pounds.

I'll get a chance to remedy those terrible gear ratios by replacing the Toyota tranny.

I'll appease, to a degree, my sense of American patriotism (I'm a redneck wanna be).

And best of all, there is nothing like the sound of spruced up V-8. I just never liked the sewing machine buzz of a straight six.

All this is assuming I can make it happen before gasoline is $10/gallon.
I'm under no illusion that this will be an easy swap. Like the 60 was, which I did not do.

Well, obviously....

I'm just trying to figure out why he'd go with a crappy American engine in a Toyota...

;p

:hillbilly:

I'm just kidding ya....

Contact "kirk" on mud...he's a good buddy Ohio (former boss) and he put an LT1 into his 1994 80 series with some good stuff from Oz.

Be prepared for some serious dough shelling out.

Oh yeah, I've got dibs on your 1FZFE long block and tranny.

:)

I'm just kidding ya....

Contact "kirk" on mud...he's a good buddy Ohio (former boss) and he put an LT1 into his 1994 80 series with some good stuff from Oz.

Be prepared for some serious dough shelling out.

Oh yeah, I've got dibs on your 1FZFE long block and tranny.

Right on. I'm gonna need all the resources I can get.

Evan, I think I'll sign up for CM 2010 - 1FZFE and notebook in hand. And aim for CM2011 with FZJV8-80.

Cruiser Dan will never speak to me again....

And best of all, there is nothing like the sound of spruced up V-8. I just never liked the sewing machine buzz of a straight six.

Turbo diesel. Flathead six.

There. I found you some things that sound much cooler than any V-8--spruced up or not. Don't make me go find some V-1650 or V-1710 sounds for you...

Sounds like a project. Would you be swapping the entire driveline, or just motor and adapt it to the tranny?

Dan

Amen to that Brotha, the true sound of a sweet V8 is intoxicating indeed. Good job and take good notes. :D

There are so many v8 80s and gm diesel 80s in AU, too bad they are too new to import, you could get one already done. :)

that will be awesome, how many miles on the tahoe? I really want to put that motor in my poptop troopy, but I sorta want to build my 45 crawler first. I hope you work faster than I have lately. Wish I could help, sounds like a fun project. If you change your mind and want to sell the Tahoe, let me know. :)

Amen to that Brotha, the true sound of a sweet V8 is intoxicating indeed.

Yep, it's the harmonics. 1 revolution of the camshaft(s) = 2 of the crankshaft = 8 firings = 16 valve clacks.

I considered a supercharger but was advised (by Robbie no less) that my engine might have too many miles on it.

A 1FZ-FE rebuild and a supercharger will cost you half of what the Chevy V8 conversion is going to cost you and it could be done in much less time; days instead of months.

Probably the same HP and torque but not the V8 rumble.

Greg keeps trying unsuccessfully to convince us that his V8 project is the reason that Janet dumped his sorry butt. Are you going to do the project yourself or farm it out like you did on the 60? Are you going to lose the new GF over this thing? :D

-Mike-

A 1FZ-FE rebuild and a supercharger will cost you half of what the Chevy V8 conversion is going to cost you and it could be done in much less time; days instead of months.

Probably the same HP and torque but not the V8 rumble.

I agree with Mike on this.

I guess I'm a purist. I would never think of putting something other than a Toyota engine into my Toyota.

That's the reason I bought this thing--I guess when you take the heart of a Toyota out, it ceases to be a Toyota and becomes a Chevota.

It is going to cost an arm and a leg to fit a V8/tranny combo. It's been and it's been well-documented, but it ain't cheap--especially if you are going to keep your Toyota xfer case and mate it to one of the GM products. No one stateside makes a product for that. You will need to either source one from Oz or South Africa or you will have to have one made for you. Then you have driveshafts--you will have to have new ones made to accommodate new lengths. the A442F is a hydraulic xfer case (with a couple of electronic solenoids) so you will have to take that into account with the addition of a GM tranny and making sure they work together when you drop the tranny into Low....unless of course you are going to go with something like the NV4500 which would then mean some metal fab work for the tranny shifter and extra pedal.

But it's do-able and would be an interesting swap. Just not one I would do because it is now a GM product.

That being said, you can get parts at your local Napa and it will 99% be in stock.

Juane--there is a 2002 Tundra at the PnP in ABQ--there is a 2UZ-FE Toyota V8 available. You should reconsider and put a Toyota heart back in.

The ONLY reason Beno is a Toyota Purist is because he can now afford to be. Things probably would've been different if he still lived in OH :flipoff2:

Good thoughts, all, that I appreciate.
A Toyota V8 would be sweet indeed. But a 100 series would probably make more sense. I love my 80, but I'm not married to it.

Merle at Classic Cruisers (conversion extraordinaire) told me AA makes an adapter to mate the L460E to the Toyota TC. Not so?

Truth be told, I'm pretty intimidated by the swap. I'm most concerned with my lack of perfection, patience and attention to detail.
Maybe I can rope my girl friend into helping with the logic stuff, Mike. She's one of them Mensa types.
On the other hand she doesn't know which end of a screw driver to use. Typical Mensa. (apologies to Steve).

I've also been hankering to build a small block. Now that I have a heated, well lit garage to spend long winter evenings in. Just a hobby kind of thing.

So, who knows. First thing is to build the engine. I've done that before and feel reasonably confident, however a Vortec will be a big learning curve.
This one: 198,000 miles, but it seems really tight. No smoke, NO OIL LEAKS, no knocks or ticks. Compression is 120 all around.
We'll see how the rebuid goes. Then decide what to do with it.

Maybe I'll get a 40 to stick it into!

Good thoughts, all, that I appreciate.
A Toyota V8 would be sweet indeed. But a 100 series would probably make more sense. I love my 80, but I'm not married to it.

Do you mean that it would make sense to just get a 100 to get the V8 or that the motor from a 100 would make more sense? The 100 has the same motor as the 2002 Tundra, 2UZ-FE, if that's what you were getting at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom