what color to paint the 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 69 40 was originally nebula green. I painted it orange 11 years ago. Should I repaint it orange or spring green. I like the spring green. Bit can't decide

WP_20170423_22_39_37_Pro.jpg

I love that green. I think I will go that route

That's funny, my 78 was Forest green and I painted it Amber Fire Pearlcoat (orange) been that way for 14 years,
now I'm rebuilding and plan to paint it FJ Cruiser Army Green, Land Rover Defender Marine Green or heaven forbid Chrysler Jeep Sarge green.

For me, my story is simple : I had been up in the air about repaint color - FOR SEVERAL YEARS !!

I'm the 3rd owner of mine, and have had mine for well over 20 years. Most all of that time, she has remained garaged & totally undriven. She's now completely dissembled, and I'm ready to rebuild her.

Below is NOT a pic of mine, but mine was precisely like this one : blue-green metallic, "Turquoise Green." How I happened to come across this picture - I've NO Clue !! And mine even sported the same white rear wheel flares, although had the standard white wagon wheels, that came with most of the 1977 through 1980 vehicles. Almost twenty-five years ago, while in college, I instantly fell in love with her at first sight. And only after that did I then notice a 'For Sale' sign stuck to one of vehicle's rear windows. I was told she was a 1979; determined I could make monthly payments to my bank for her; and purchased her that same day. ... Back then, while driving her on the streets of Atlanta & parts of North Georgia, people continuously stopped me, while on the road, and asked to buy her from me. ... Although I always smiled, I always politely said, "NO !!!"

tcz.jpg

It was the second owner of my vehicle who had repainted her the metallic blue-green color. The paint job was as if preparing her for a quick sale - it was super-inexpensively painted over the vehicle's original color - being that of 'Sky Blue.' ... Interestingly today, on each side of the vehicle, on the sheet metal of the top, there just below the windows, one can still see through the blue-green paint to where the dealership's Toyota decal had once been. All along the entire lower portion of the top, in large, bold lettering, it can be easily made-out that it once said, "T O Y O T A," which would have been in all-white.

I continue to LOVE the blue-green metallic color, that looks exactly the same as the pic above. My vehicle's detached body parts are still that same color. And I've been overly tempted for years now to keep her that same color. Previously, I had always swore to myself that she would ALWAYS remain that same color.

But more recently, I've surmised that unless a 40-Series vehicle's engine has been swapped-out, to let's say a V8, or a V6, etc, the 40-Series vehicles, characteristically (if not spiritually), should remain as a solid (non-metallic) paint. It's the forever 'soul' of the 40-Series. When I now see a metallic painted 40-Series LC, I immediately think to myself it now has a V8 under its hood. Yes, metallic is beautiful, as it's far, far more dimensional & far more depth-related than virtually any solid color (albeit black with 20-some layers of clear coat on top :) ). Sure, metallic paint can look stellar on any vehicle. However, because of the 'heritage' & 'soul' factor embedded into a 40, I'm believing my rebuild should be that of a solid, timeless color. ... I've finally come to terms with that.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to go with my vehicle's native, 854 'Sky Blue.' ... It's not going to happen.

For some three years now, while continuously thinking about it & contemplating about it hard, I can't become crazy about any other of the 40-series OEM colors. ... I've Studied Them All !! I like each one of the OEM colors, for what they each are... but not one of them is really for me (I've ZERO interest in selling my vehicle - which is already a restomod in multiple ways).

So, the only one color that I have crossed, that actually has meaning to me, is one from an Army attack helicopter. The color is both masculine & rugged looking. And it looks as if it should be out in the depths of a forest, or driven beyond the horizon in a desert. The color is called, 'Aircraft Green,' and I become internally excited every time I'm near the Cobra helicopter that has been repainted this exact color. Below is an image I'd extracted from the Internet, that I then modified its color (as well as placed the vehicle into a creek), that I could better envision how cool & interesting looking this color would be on my own '40. The paint to be used, an expensive, commercial grade coating from Imron, is super-durable, and is now called, 'Gray-black.'

msp_FJ40-ODconcept3(f).jpg

Should I or you be using 40-Series OEM color on our rebuilds ? ... Likely "Yes." ... And should I or you be using the color that is referenced within the vehicle plate fastened onto our vehicle's firewall ? ... Likely a stronger "Yes." ... But I assure you, if I paint my own vehicle like that pictured immediately above, not only will I never grow tired of its appearance; but ever come to sell it, per whatever need - it'll likely sell faster than most other 40's, and for a respectably high price too. Likely higher than myself or family would anticipate.

But keep in mind, as cool as these vintage vehicles are, to us right now, my belief & realization is that trends are fairly rapidly going toward autonomous and/or electric vehicles. That these gas-guzzling (and largely unsafe) 40's will not too long from now become far less appreciated & desired (come this very next generation). The super-stock appearing 40-series vehicles we honor today will indeed hold a higher value into our future. And such vehicles will no doubt help to "educate" the future generation about the 4x4 heritage of their own transportation's past. But if the future generation are anything like my nephews & nieces - - Most Unfortunately, they simply won't care. :-(

~Skydog

Last edited:
:meh: it's your cruiser. Do what you want. The paint is just there to keep the rust away... really, that is the job of paint. Aesthetics are second to that.

Choose a color you like, and squirt it. Metallic, solid, flat, glossy, heck I saw a wrapped cargo van in a mirrored brass color the other day that made my head spin. Do what YOU want, ain't life grand!? 40's look good in flat, matte, glossy, metallic, solid, clean, dirty, one color or many. 40's rock.

:meh: it's your cruiser. Do what you want. The paint is just there to keep the rust away... really, that is the job of paint. Aesthetics are second to that.

Choose a color you like, and squirt it. Metallic, solid, flat, glossy, heck I saw a wrapped cargo van in a mirrored brass color the other day that made my head spin. Do what YOU want, ain't life grand!? 40's look good in flat, matte, glossy, metallic, solid, clean, dirty, one color or many. 40's rock.
Drew ;

Interestingly, just last year, an automotive restoration crew, calling themselves 'Expedition Sema," literally rusted & tarnished, in an expeditious way (over one month), the body panels & tub of an FJ40. They then buffed & clear-coated the vehicle's rusted sheet metal. The result looks Super-Cool !! Almost Rat-Rod like. I spoke with him on the phone : he said hordes of people were infatuated with the vehicle & its appearance. - - If one would ask me, I'd think this could indeed become a trend.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

~Skydog

Last edited:
For me, my story is simple : I had been up in the air about repaint color - FOR SEVERAL YEARS !!

I'm the 3rd owner of mine, and have had mine for well over 20 years. Most all of that time, she has remained garaged & totally undriven. She's now completely dissembled, and I'm ready to rebuild her.

Below is NOT a pic of mine, but mine was precisely like this one : blue-green metallic, "Turquoise Green." How I happened to come across this picture - I've NO Clue !! And mine even sported the same white rear wheel flares, although had the standard white wagon wheels, that came with most of the 1977 through 1980 vehicles. Almost twenty-five years ago, while in college, I instantly fell in love with her at first sight. I was told she was a 1979, and purchased her that same day. ... Back then, while driving her on the streets of Atlanta & parts of Georgia, people continuously stopped me, while on the road, and asked to buy her from me. ... Although I always smiled, I always politely said, "NO !!!"

View attachment 1448506

It was the second owner of my vehicle who had repainted her the metallic blue-green color. The paint job was as if preparing her for a quick sale - it was super-inexpensively painted over the vehicle's original color - being that of 'Sky Blue.' ... Interestingly today, on each side of the vehicle, on the sheet metal of the top, there just below the windows, one can still see through the blue-green paint to where the dealership's Toyota decal had once been. All along the entire lower portion of the top, in large, bold lettering, it can be easily made-out that it once said, "T O Y O T A," which would have been in all-white.

I continue to LOVE the blue-green metallic color, that looks exactly the same as the pic above. My vehicle's detached body parts are still that same color. And I've been overly tempted for years now to keep her that same color. Previously I had always swore to myself that she would ALWAYS remain that same color.

But more recently, I've surmised that unless a 40-Series vehicle's engine has been swapped-out, to let's say a V8, or a V6, etc, the 40-Series vehicles, characteristically (if not spiritually), should remain as a solid (non-metallic) paint. When I now see a metallic painted 40-Series LC, I immediately think to myself it now has a V8 under its hood. Metallic is beautiful, as it's far, far more dimensional & far more depth-related than virtually any solid color (albeit black with 20-some layers of clear coat on top :) ). So, I'm believing my rebuild should be a solid color. ... I've come to terms that it has something to do with the heritage & spirit of the vehicle.

And I'm not going to go with my vehicle's native, 854 'Sky Blue.' ... It's not going to happen.

For some three years now, while continuously thinking about it & contemplating about it hard, I can't become crazy about any other of the 40-series OEM colors. ... I've Studied Them All !! I like each one of the OEM colors, for what they each are... but not one of them is really for me (I've ZERO interest in selling my vehicle - which is already a restomod in multiple ways).

So, the only one color that I have crossed, that actually has meaning to me, is one from an Army attack helicopter. The color is both masculine & rugged looking. And it looks as if it should be out in the depths of a forest, or driven beyond the horizon in a desert. The color is called, 'Aircraft Green,' and I become internally excited every time I'm near the Cobra helicopter that has been repainted this exact color. Below is an image I'd extracted from the Internet, that I then modified its color (as well as placed the vehicle into a creek), that I could better envision how cool & interesting looking this color would be on my own '40. The paint to be used, an expensive, commercial grade coating from Imron, is super-durable.

View attachment 1448525
Should I or you be using 40-Series OEM color on our rebuilds ? ... Likely "Yes." ... And should I or you be using the color that is referenced within the vehicle plate fastened onto our vehicle's firewall ? ... Likely a stronger "Yes." ... But I assure you, if I paint my own vehicle like that pictured immediately above, not only will I never grow tired of its appearance; but ever come to sell it, per whatever need - it'll likely sell faster than most other 40's, and for a respectably high price too. Likely higher than myself or family would anticipate.

But keep in mind, as cool as these vintage vehicles are, to us right now, my belief & realization is that trends are fairly rapidly going toward autonomous and/or electric vehicles. That these gas-guzzling (and largely unsafe) 40's will not too long from now become far less appreciated & desired (come this very next generation). The super-stock appearing 40-series vehicles we honor today will indeed hold a higher value into our future. And such vehicles will no doubt help to "educate" the future generation about the 4x4 heritage of their own transportation's past. But if the future generation are anything like my nephews & nieces - - Most Unfortunately, they simply won't care. :-(

~Skydog
I think you should paint the cowling between the hood and windshield frame black.:rofl:

I think you should paint the cowling between the hood and windshield frame black.:rofl:
We'll see. ... But on yours, the black cowling will create a visual flow between the black front fenders & black roof. And will augment a black bezel & black rear wheel flare. Your cowling as black will look tastefully really good. And will be somewhat unique as well. :)

On mine, my rocker panel will be black; as in, black Raptor bedliner (merely black poly-urethane with ceramic dust mixed in). Marc

We'll see. ... But on yours, the black cowling will create a visual flow between the black front fenders & black roof. And will augment a black bezel & black rear wheel flare. Your cowling as black will look tastefully really good. And will be somewhat unique as well. :)

On mine, my rocker panel will be black; as in, black Raptor bedliner (merely black poly-urethane with ceramic dust mixed in). Marc
I've researched Raptor bedliner it's a great body undercoat and easy to apply.

I've researched Raptor bedliner it's a great body undercoat and easy to apply.
To the best of my knowledge, Raptor is basically the same, chemistry-wise, as that of Monstaliner. Both are poly-urethane with ceramic dust particulate mixed in; and both equally are UV stable & tintable. The only main difference that I know of : Raptor is packaged to be very easily sprayed; and Monstaliner packaged to be very easily rolled with a paint roller. Both products are merely thick paint, but not nearly as thick as traditional bedliner coatings. ~Marc

Does anyone know how to get the original Toyota colors? I'm interested in repainting mine the traditional beige (Toyota color 464) but can't find anywhere how to translate that to anything a current painter would know without approximating.

@Paraglider

Does anyone know how to get the original Toyota colors? I'm interested in repainting mine the traditional beige (Toyota color 464) but can't find anywhere how to translate that to anything a current painter would know without approximating.

BASF - R-M Paint has a formula for Toyota Beige 464. They have a number of different grades, but their "UNO HD" is a single stage urethane that is very durable, and easy to maintain. But, about $400 a gallon and I don't know if California has any issues with it.

They should be able to mix you a sample to confirm it's what they say it is.

They mixed me some horizontal blue 808 and it was a perfect match for my original color.

upload_2017-6-30_22-16-45.png

View attachment 1488303

upload_2017-6-30_21-48-45.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom