What brand is this FJ40 radio antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi, I accidentally found this antenna in a picture on craigslist. My rig didn't come with an antenna but it has the same exact holes cut in the side as this one in the picture. Does anyone know what brand antenna this is, or where I can find one? I'd love to hook something up instead of drilling new holes! Thanks.

>picture<

I have that same one minus the spring. I think I got it at Pep Boys or Autozone.

Copied you picture so later when the link is dead will not be any question on which antenna you have.
89f8f5caea6082ec70a692e11592930f.jpg

This is a very generic antenna. My 68 had one when I bought it in 1974. Probably have at least one or two more of these. Advantage is when it gets caught on a branch it will bend and then spring back instead of snapping off.

Could have been an cb antenna hole... however the wear pattern around it is odd... not fully round ... given its location it could have been an old school battery disconnect switch

That location is horrible for a cb or radio given its location near the coil/ignition

The other holes (thru the vent even) is for a Jerry can mount ... but... you probably knew that one lol

The hole for an antenna is usually drill on the side of the cowl so the cable to the radio is inside the cab.

It always fascinated me people installing antennas never really understood radiation patterns. I also mean companies with installers as well. For reference , take a look at radiation patterns on vehicles and remember the ROOF is where it should be. That may not be where the owner wants it, but, as you see you negate a lot of energy.

Antenna.PNG

Could have been an cb antenna hole... however the wear pattern around it is odd... not fully round ... given its location it could have been an old school battery disconnect switch

That location is horrible for a cb or radio given its location near the coil/ignition

The other holes (thru the vent even) is for a Jerry can mount ... but... you probably knew that one lol
Yeah I figured about the Jerry can mount. I'd love to find out which brand/era was on there so I could mount one up again!

It always fascinated me people installing antennas never really understood radiation patterns. I also mean companies with installers as well. For reference , take a look at radiation patterns on vehicles and remember the ROOF is where it should be. That may not be where the owner wants it, but, as you see you negate a lot of energy.

View attachment 2377175
What exactly is this graph showing?

What exactly is this graph showing?
A little late finding this!! As stated, it is showing the radiation pattern based on the mounting location of the antenna. The optimum location is the center of the roof with a grounded conductive surface. By the way that is illustration #1 in the upper left corner. You can easily see the sub optimal pattern of the signal by looking at the other illustrations provided. These patterns are the same for TX and RX as proven in the theory of reciprocity. This is based on a isotropic radiator. If you need more information the interweb is your friend as this topic could take tomes to explain and understand.

see post 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom