What Bilstein shock to use on a 1982 FJ40 with 4 inch lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did a quick search here and didn’t come across them but the part numbers are in this forum somewhere
I have stumbled across them several times

Here ya go

DD975468-ADC4-443C-835D-B62E94B188D2.png

@HKforte started a thread on shocks about a month ago that had a lot of good specs.

If you just buy shocks by the numbers, you could [it actually happens a lot] end up with a shock with only 1-2' of down travel. That is why I ALWAYS recommend installing springs first and confirming that shocks listed for the app actually match the range of travel you are working with.

I just did this a few weeks ago, ordered new Bilstein’s, and installed.

1. Jack up until tire is just barely off the ground. Measure eye to eye on shock, add a couple inches and that’s the approx extended dimension.
2. With truck on ground measure eye to eye. Subtract the distance it would travel before hitting the bump stop. Take off a couple extra inches, and that’s your approx compressed dimension.
3. Measure each mounting stud diameter and then go through this giant list and find what you need;

Bilstein Shock Specs
Bilstein shock specs including part numbers, extended and compressed lengths, travel measurements and mounting codes. To understand the upper and lower mounting codes and precise locations for taking measurements for Bilstein shocks, please review the Bilstein shock measurement guide. Go direct...
www.my4by.com www.my4by.com

5/8 And 16 mm are interchangeable

Here is data from a recent thread: compress/extend numbers for some of the Bilstein shock options pointed out by Purpleaction and to echo the point brought up by 65swb45 regarding doing your own travel measurements after finalizing suspension setup and before shock selection.

Bilstein B8 5125

2-inch lift

Front: 33-062518
  • Compressed: 12.03 inches (305 mm)
  • Extended: 18.50 inches (470 mm)
Rear: 33-185606
  • Compressed: 14.06 inches (357 mm)
  • Extended: 22.50 inches (571 mm)
4-inch lift

Front: 33-185606
  • Compressed: 14.06 inches (357 mm)
  • Extended: 22.50 inches (571 mm)