What are your opinions of this FJ-40's price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I found a 1972 FJ-40 near town. It is dune beige (paint in alright shape) with the stock black seats. It does NOT have a motor in it. The transmission, a driveshaft, and a t-case (not sure if they are the front or rear) are out of the vehicle also, but come with the car. He had the transmission converted from column shifting to a floor-shifter (he still has the column shifter on the column and the transmission hump is still uncut). It has some rust here and there (body and frame). The floorpans have been replaced and painted black (not the best install but could live with). The cruiser also comes with an auxilary fuel tank (switch is in dash but tank is not on car). He is also including the disc brake setup from another stock FJ-40 (not installed). Suspension wise, it has 2.5" shackles with add-a-leaf and new shocks (not sure what brand). He is running 33x12.50's on the stock white wheels (will NEED new tires). He is asking $3000 dollars.

What do you guys think about this price?

My dad thinks this car is something that will end up with a lot more money put into it than originally planned (I think that falls true for any project.... (but I'm also just a high school kid who has never done a project car)). We were weary about how things would run (if the transmission runs fine, if the t-cases work properly, etc...) since we are not able to drive it before purchasing. Just need some input from some other people....

No No No - Back away from the sale. For that price, you should be able to get a running cruiser. That sounds like about a $500-$750 Cruiser to me.
Tell us where you are located. Lots of Cruiser Clubs around that can help you.

Ken is right on blacklight....

Run, do not walk away from this pile...

You do not want to get involved in something this deep if you are looking to get something to drive in the near future, and do not want to put a pile of money into it to make that happen....

Good luck!

-Steve

BlackLight said:
How much exactly should it cost to get this running?

Are you serious?

EXACTLY?

Five-thousand dollars, exactly.

:rolleyes:

think about what you are asking man...I am not going after you at all....

There are a pile of variables with this collection of junk that you seem to have your heart set on.....

TRUST ME....I HAVE BEEN THERE.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!

There are many trucks out there that you can pick up for 2-5K, and will be able to drive them, and enjoy them, a little, before you start modifying it, and or having to pour money into it to keep it running. Don't think that you will not, that is an illusion....

They are Land Cruisers. They are expensive, period.

Good luck!

-Steve

This truck is bad news man...

Listen to Steve...

I would be very suprised if you ever got to drive this truck. It is very hard to start with an incomplete truck and end up with something that works, unless you have piles of Land Cruiser s*** layin around. You have no idea what nuts, bolts, little pieces etc are missing to complete this truck...

run man, run...

:cheers:

He is asking $3000 dollars.

Oppps, you put an extra zero in there!!!

Man I just picked up a nice 64, granted still stock axels and the course splines but running with a nice 305 in it and brand new tires for $2,700 and it's a 100% rust free AZ 40, sold the jump seats for $300 two days later so I have $2,400 into this thing..

Granted that's a good deal but keep walking as I'd be in over my head with that one... If you're dead set on it, any cruiser (just about) is worth $500 and it sounds like a real fair price on that one would be $1,000 maybe if he found the right buyer as the disk brake axel is worth $350 alone...

Otherwise time is the number one thing you have on your side in this hunt... Time will find you the deal you want... You will have over $7,000 into that thing before it goes down the road on it's own power!

If it helps any, he pulled the F engine out 3 years ago cause it started burning oil like crazy. He was going to get a V8 for it, but got himself a boat instead. (So, the car was running before the engine was taken out of it). I trust almost everyone elses opinion here more than mine when talking about what to pay for this car...but with that said, is it still a bad idea to buy this?

Dude, YES its a bad Idea. Your talking about putting an oil leaking engine back in the truck it came out of. It was pulled out for a reason hint hint. once it dies your worse than back to square one because you have to re pull it out. Plus the engine sat for 3 years. Read if the engine wasnt pickled, or "winterized" for storage, it could be siezed right where it sits. I got a decent frame and body from NC a few years ago for 100 bucks.

Listen to these guys and your dad.

zetasig said:
Dude, YES its a bad Idea. Your talking about putting an oil leaking engine back in the truck it came out of. It was pulled out for a reason hint hint.

No, I'm not talking about putting that engine back in it. I'm saying that the car was running with an engine in it. It's not a question of wether the engine has seized up. I'm more concerned with wether the other parts (transmission, t-cases, etc.) have quit functioning. But I guess everyone thinks it's a bad idea so I'm not too concerned about it anymore...

I heard a local guy wants to sell 2 cruisers for that much, need to follow up. Last time I saw them, one was running, rough body 74 I think, 4" lift. The other is a 79 hard top with lotsa body rot and no motor. Still a huge undertaking to make one really good Cruiser from these parts, but doable with time and the skills.

These guys are so right about that other deal. Even knowledgable Cruiser guys would pass on that, especially at that price. Lost bolts/nuts and the little pieces to get it back together, A motor swap will cost ya, the adapters etc.....

1. Bad deal with the info you listed.....and you already know this by now. 2. You still need to confirm if there is rust on the frame and underneath body. 3. A good running engine can run you from 300 to up in the thousands and not mention mods that will be needed if you do a V-8. 4. My opinion is look for another one, I have seen running stockers in the 4000 to 5000 range and on up. I think a 1000 buck would be fair for both parties if you are willing to learn and frame has no rust.

listen to your dad this time

cruiser prices

This is a $500 landcruiser tops.

He has been cutting on the floors also with homemade patches?

Please run fast away and find something decent.

Sounds like the seller is way "high".

RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money...find something running for that at least...sorta a shameless plug...but I'm selling a good running 55 with a bit of mods done to it for not much more. You CAN find MUCH better deals...

I have personal experience to this; I was a freshman in college and found myself in the same situation. I bought the cruiser, engine didn't run, rotten out body, needed new brake lines, wiring, everything. Two years later and it just fired up this summer, but with new v8, disc brakes all the way around, aluminum tub, new wiring, everything. But I have lots of mechanical experience and the ability to get lots of parts really cheap. Bottom line, I have spent a ton of money to build something that as of now I still can't drive. If I could do it again I would try to at least find a running 40, but you live and learn. Listen to the people on this board, cause I am sure that my story is just like all of theirs. I also paid A LOT less than 3000 for mine, and also my dad was telling me to buy it because he couldn't wait to build it. If you have any questions let me know, I know exactly how you feel about getting a cruiser, and can tell you how my experiences have gone with trying to pay for a cruiser and go to school and have a life and pay for beer.

I am not trying to say that nobody else has had or is in this situation, just trying to relate. https://forum.ih8mud.com/images/icons/icon6.gif
Cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom