What are you working on? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a former (multiple) Land Rover owner who is now in full recovery & has been Land Rover free for over a year now,
I can confirm that you spend a lot of time working on them.
On the trail, outside the local post office or wherever else you go, you will get plenty of opportunity to work on them.
To quote the Aussie saying. “a Land Rover or a Land Cruiser can take you anywhere in the Outback. A Land Cruiser will take you home again.”

Don't worry Greg, I am not gonna fall for Land Rover, I think they are neat (this even has diff locks) but I like my Toyota and its standard hardware, this thing is just a mixture of yes, makes a mess since I have to open every draw of my tool box, even the one with Standard size sockets! ugh blasphemy that its not all metric!

I feel I need to be drinking a cup of earl grey while working on this thing. all the Brits drink tea instead of coffee right?
Oh do be a jolly good chap and get to buggering the bits under the bonnet. And don't be a wanker about it or you could get into a sticky wicket.

Now Cherreo good chap.

As a former (multiple) Land Rover owner who is now in full recovery & has been Land Rover free for over a year now,
I can confirm that you spend a lot of time working on them.
On the trail, outside the local post office or wherever else you go, you will get plenty of opportunity to work on them.
To quote the Aussie saying. “a Land Rover or a Land Cruiser can take you anywhere in the Outback. A Land Cruiser will take you home again.”

Thankfully this one isn't mine, I don't plan on owning one anytime soon, I think they are neat, but the only thing I would probably ever keep if I build one is the body, and then the rest would be a all Toyota drive line lol!

Some progress made, new Ignition cylinder is and functioning beautifully.
The new headlight is in with the front end reinstalled (minus the bumper cover thats wrecked):

I find it absolutely insane that the plastic bumper cover replacement is anywhere between $700-$1000 for plastic! makes sens why most I see around here have aftermarket bumpers, they are cheaper!

Also, he was trying to follow @Cass007 with the no battery hold down! This had to be rectified!

Last on the list is a new brake light bulb which I don't have a picture of since its not that exciting and that covers the main things on the list before I added more to it lol!

Also side note, anyone else have multiple cases of drill bits with bits missing or broken? I feel this is every Toyota owner:

Oh do be a jolly good chap and get to buggering the bits under the bonnet. And don't be a wanker about it or you could get into a sticky wicket.

Now Cherreo good chap.

Coming out of you, this just doesn't sound natural at all.
Though all this British nonsense reminds me of a show I remember watching with my family late at night after Letterman, anyone heard of the British Sitcom "Are You Being Served?"

Nothing exciting happening on my vehicles.
Been working more with the Covid mess (ER nurse) and I've been exhausted, so no fun projects.
Brakes went out on the 98 LX470 Sunday, so gotta figure out and fix that. Picked up new wheels for my BMW and put gas in the 80 after doing a tuneup. The fab guy that was supposed to make my rear bumper is way backed up so, I'm hunting for a hitch for the 80 as well.
Last thing, probably going to be selling the fj40. I just have too much going on and nowhere to appropriately store the 40 or time to work on it. So, it should find a new home. I'll post more info shortly.

Must it be 300 lbs all at once?

Kinda. The bare block is about 200lbs. It went into the basement over the winter with my brother and I carrying it down. Then dad and I built the short block, so add 100 lbs or so of crank, pistons, rods, oil pump, cam, etc. So now it’s a short block and about 300 lbs. Heads are built and ready to go on, but that’ll happen in the garage.

field, for alum.
one went as soon as it was turned on, the other made it a few hours.
both have been warranted, one just came back a week or two ago, not sure what the story on the other one is.
Just wondering were they running on a generator?

@RobE30, I just took the hitch of my 80. It has some rust, but it is yours for the taking.

Kinda. The bare block is about 200lbs. It went into the basement over the winter with my brother and I carrying it down. Then dad and I built the short block, so add 100 lbs or so of crank, pistons, rods, oil pump, cam, etc. So now it’s a short block and about 300 lbs. Heads are built and ready to go on, but that’ll happen in the garage.
Ever have a refrigerator delivered? The way 2 guys and the sholder strapps take it up stairs is impressive.

Just wondering were they running on a generator?

the one that ran was on a 110v wall outlet, the other one bought it on a 220 or 240v(i forget what their high volt is) wall outlet...voltage was checked at the outlet prior to the pop.

So now it’s a short block and about 300 lbs.

Strap it to some plywood, and push/pull (skid) it up the steps on two planks. You'll still need two people, one at the top pulling it with another strap, and one behind it pushing/stabilizing it.

Once on the landing, you can use the hand truck.

You'll need a quality hand truck. If not, that weight will bend the axle, or wheels. The Harbor Freight hand trucks with pneumatic wheels, cannot carry much weight. The rims get easily tweaked.

Screenshot_2020-05-20-09-03-47.png

You could even use tow straps laying around the house instead of buying those. That's what I've done in the past when I had to move heavy appliances. Used 2 straps that way each person had 2 slots to run their arm thru and have the strap loop at the shoulders.

the bulk of my work is onsight in the field, my time in the office is mainly limited to time in the office.....turns out there is a shop behind the office and people work in it??...I wonder what else happens out there?

20200519_152919.jpg

20200519_153332.jpg

Got a coat of paint on the cart finally. This was a project that took about 10X longer than planned...

B9040C15-DE9F-495A-8AC6-753BEBF17BFB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom