What are you working on? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have both cruisers in the garage for some winter work

I have both axles gutted on the 80....check out the front 8" carnage from CMCC. I am replacing the ARB's with Harrops and going back to 4.10 gears...better ratio for the Diesel.

After I get done with the diffs and axles rebuilds, next up on the list is putting Marlin Crawler & TT Overdrive gears into the Xfer case. Then I will get stuck into a bunch of electrical mods
20171227_155709-jpg.1598656

20171227_164900-jpg.1598657

The BJ42 got a replacement alternator and a brand new voltage regulator. The 70 series version is still available new, but it has a different plug than the Canada Spec BJ42 VR(see green plug on passenger firewall). I reused the green plug and soldered it onto the new 70 series VR.

I am also working on installing power steering, I have a rebuilt minitruck box and mount from Georg @ Valley Hybrids. For the pump I have both an OEM setup, but the pump pulley is pretty boogered up, I also have a new saginaw pump and a billet pulley for the 14mm toyota belts (also from Georg)...just need to figure out a mount for it. I like the idea of the OEM pump...but I also like the idea of the extra turning power of the saginaw.

Once I get done with the P/S mods, I will turn my attention to the H55 swap that I have been sitting on.

My little helper working on his Red Roozer
20171129_172939-jpg.1583208

The unheated garage at 18 degree weather isn’t particularly motivating.
I installed a 50K BTU natural gas heater in my garage about a year or so ago, I set the thermostat to 62 and it has no problem holding it there. It's nice opening the tool box and finding warm to the touch tools. Last night I was working on my back on the concrete pulling the rear diff and it was 12 degrees on the other side of that garage door...makes winter mods much more motivating!!!

Last edited:

I have both axles gutted on the 80....check out the front 8" carnage from CMCC. I am replacing the ARB's with Harrops and going back to 4.10 gears...better ratio for the Diesel.

After I get done with the diffs and axles rebuilds, next up on the list is putting Marlin Crawler & TT Overdrive gears into the Xfer case. Then I will get stuck into a bunch of electrical mods

The BJ42 got a replacement alternator and a brand new voltage regulator. The 70 series version is still available new, but it has a different plug than the Canada Spec BJ42 VR(see green plug on passenger firewall). I reused the green plug and soldered it onto the new 70 series VR.

I am also working on installing power steering, I have a rebuilt minitruck box and mount from Georg @ Valley Hybrids. For the pump I have both an OEM setup, but the pump pulley is pretty boogered up, I also have a new saginaw pump and a billet pulley for the 14mm toyota belts (also from Georg)...just need to figure out a mount for it. I like the idea of the OEM pump...but I also like the idea of the extra turning power of the saginaw.

Once I get done with the P/S mods, I will turn my attention to the H55 swap that I have been sitting on.

I installed a 50K BTU natural gas heater in my garage about a year or so ago, I set the thermostat to 62 and it has no problem holding it there. It's nice opening the tool box and finding warm to the touch tools. Last night I was working on my back on the concrete pulling the rear diff and it was 12 degrees on the other side of that garage door...makes winter mods much more motivating!!!

Unfortunately, I live out in the boonies of Cecil County, MD. We don't have natural gas (or sewers, for that matter). My options are propane or kerosene (which can lead to condensation, from what I've read) or electric ($$$$). My garage is only insulated in the ceiling and interior walls, so heating it with anything gets expensive, fast...I've just been bundling up and making good use of my mechanic's gloves. I washed some parts bare-handed yesterday in my semi-frozen parts cleaning bucket, then grabbed a wrench. My hand briefly froze to the wrench. :frown:

Unfortunately, I live out in the boonies of Cecil County, MD. We don't have natural gas (or sewers, for that matter). My options are propane or kerosene (which can lead to condensation, from what I've read) or electric ($$$$). My garage is only insulated in the ceiling and interior walls, so heating it with anything gets expensive, fast...I've just been bundling up and making good use of my mechanic's gloves. I washed some parts bare-handed yesterday in my semi-frozen parts cleaning bucket, then grabbed a wrench. My hand briefly froze to the wrench. :frown:
My mate installed an electric heater/AC unit in his 2 car garage, he only runs it when he is working in there and he says he hasn't noticed any bump in his electrical bill during the winter (when electric is cheapest). I think he paid about $1200 for the unit.

The wiring is a bit more complicated with a 24v vehicle!

One 24v panel, 4 relays, two 24-12v step down converters and a two-input 12v panel.

Hopefully everything will work when this is all finished!

View attachment 1560573
Nice, I may need to do something similar for the BJ42. Do you have anymore details of your setup?

My mate installed an electric heater/AC unit in his 2 car garage, he only runs it when he is working in there and he says he hasn't noticed any bump in his electrical bill during the winter (when electric is cheapest). I think he paid about $1200 for the unit.

Interesting... I don't even want AC - the garage is "shaded" and I don't mind sweating. It's when your feet go numb and wrenches start freezing to your hands that I start to get frustrated!

I thought about picking up one of those ceiling-hung 220 volt electric heaters but I've always just suspected they'd be expensive to run. I also worry I'd forget to shut it down and burn my house down although it seems like they might be a bit safer nowadays.

Like a minisplit?

Spent last night doing some minor maintenance. Noticed a occasional “grinding” noise on slower hard braking. I knew pads were getting low, so i ordered up pads and rotors. Even had calipers sent over just in case. Had a hunch a wheel bearing might be at fault, and had one sent over as well. Turns out my hunch was right, had a significant amount of play in the right front.

While it was in the shop i took the time to run a new cb cable. I haven’t been able to get my cb in proper rf range since i bought it, and i suspect the cheap-o cable to be at fault. Wanted to get it ran while my rear seat out from my puppy’s puke-a-poloza. Haven’t got around to tuning yet to see if it did anything, but will report back soon.

View attachment 1600498
Wow that's a good deal of work. How did cleaning the back seat turn out? What an ugly thought.........

Wow Morgan your third member really swallowed that pinion gear! I assume this is the same carnage from up at Anthracite last year, actually 2016 if I remember correctly. No wonder the axle made noise! Hope you get everything together and can enjoy some wheeling time this year.

Like a minisplit?
Exactly...ill get the model number from him...its pretty slick.

Wow Morgan your third member really swallowed that pinion gear! I assume this is the same carnage from up at Anthracite last year, actually 2016 if I remember correctly. No wonder the axle made noise! Hope you get everything together and can enjoy some wheeling time this year.
Yep this was from when we were at Anthracite. Chewed it up and spit it out

@mryanangel I'e seen that before. Turned out the installer did not remember to steak the nut. I think the crush sleeve may of given a little then the nut backed off and the pinion walked into the carrier. A new arb carrier housing is about 400 iirc. And the new seals are a little too. But it' a easy rebuild I remember I felt it grabbing before it blew up. I also snapped my t case input at the same time. It was a expensive day.

@mryanangel I'e seen that before. Turned out the installer did not remember to steak the nut. I think the crush sleeve may of given a little then the nut backed off and the pinion walked into the carrier. A new arb carrier housing is about 400 iirc. And the new seals are a little too. But it' a easy rebuild I remember I felt it grabbing before it blew up. I also snapped my t case input at the same time. It was a expensive day.

I will check the front nut to see if it was staked...I didn't check when I pulled it apart. I am having Zuk rebuild my diffs with new Harrop e-lockers, the ARB's won't be going back in the 80. I am going to put the 9.5" ARB into the front diff of my BJ42 and get a new semi-float ARB for the rear of the 42.

An 18k btu mini split would run about 1500-1800.

That 9k btu unit would likely be undersized for a double garage that isn't well insulated.

These units only require 20amp which is nice.

That 9k btu unit would likely be undersized for a double garage that isn't well insulated.

My buddy has the 18k BTU unit...there are two inside units, one on the back wall and one on a side wall....both plumbed to the same outdoor unit.

My buddy has the 18k BTU unit...there are two inside units, one on the back wall and one on a side wall....both plumbed to the same outdoor unit.

Yeah I was thinking something more portable/easy to install - like this: https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Hea...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V09ZW8CFWY2RDBQMR9RQ

I don't really have a good wall to cut a hole in, in my garage. That said, I can't find one of these electric units with decent reviews that hasn't almost burned at least one person's house or shop down. I like the wall hanging units and, placed strategically, they would probably suit my needs, they just seem universally plagued with thermostat failures and bad fan bearings. Anyone used one of these?

I can't find one of these electric units with decent reviews that hasn't almost burned at least one person's house or shop down.

If you already have a propane tank, get something like this:

hot_dawg1073591814.jpg

I have this exact same unit in my barn, which is about the size of a two car garage, and it works great. I've done serious insulating however.

I also have a larger Lennox Hot Shot gas heater in part of my shop, that is poorly insulated, and it heats an area about the size of an eight car garage with no problem. I've run both of these units for hundreds of hours with no mechanical issues. I use propane in the barn, and natural gas at the shop.

I'm not a big fan of electric heaters...

Wow that's a good deal of work. How did cleaning the back seat turn out? What an ugly thought.........

Took the seat bottoms out and my wife handled it. Since she decided to gamble without a seat cover, and i was picking her up from work in the snow she opted to deal with it.

I have one of these that runs on kerosene. Makes the garage like 80*F if I want, but I can taste the kerosene when I use it so I only break it out in emergencies. I should sell it, but am lazy about getting it out of the shed.

I also have a nice sized radiator unit in the garage that runs off the outdoor wood furnace, but it's passive heat and undersized for an almost 4 bay garage. It makes a 30*F ambient temp close to 55*F in the garage, but when it's 12*F ambient it doesn't do much other than keep the temp above freezing.

I need to use my old furnace and blower unit to mount a new coil from the wood furnace in the garage, but it will require moving things around, running some ducts and plumbing it in and I'm lazy there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom