What are you working on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not Toyota related, but i know some of you guys are into BMW’s. 2013 M5 that I’m doing an engine swap on. One of the more fun jobs I’ve done in a while.

A724A49F-6D89-4D6C-807F-36732233A9B4.jpeg

BB59166E-77B8-4F98-AA47-48CA446EC55E.jpeg

D627666C-B67E-4248-A9E3-DD93FBC3277C.jpeg

Not Toyota related, but i know some of you guys are into BMW’s. 2013 M5 that I’m doing an engine swap on. One of the more fun jobs I’ve done in a while.

View attachment 1609523

View attachment 1609524

View attachment 1609525

Nice! What engine are you swapping in? I don’t have a ton of experience with the later models but I’m fairly familiar with the E30 and E36 through association.

This one isn’t mine - but it’s a good friend of mine’s. I was actually in it back in high school when he crashed it (back when it had the original engine).

5EEFD84A-C68A-412B-B6ED-5D0CAF727B4F.jpeg

Now it has the Six cylinder out of a 5-series, and a HUGE turbo, and megasquirt. It’s pushing about 450 horsepower at the wheels.

9E509BCD-55B7-4FFE-8152-069924092570.jpeg

Makes a great track rat but now it keeps breaking rear axles.

If I ever pick up another project it very well may be an E30.

View attachment 1609523

View attachment 1609524

View attachment 1609525

Power to you dude, my patience to work on the higher ends always wears thin.

Had to track down an oil and coolant leak on a 550i x drive the other day, that twin power turbo V8 is aninterestiing piece of engineering....

But when it comes to driving them, not much beats them...

Knocked out a couple of 'projects'

In our recent snow I decided to use my Camry as a snow plow after getting aggravated trying to shovel the 2 1/2 - 3 ft high snow that actual plow had pushed in front of my drive way, prompting me to rip the front bumper cover that was already barely handing on, off...
Then in the next 30 mins my mother-in-law texts me that my father-in-law was in an accident in the storm and since we have so many vehicles (2 out of the 5 vehicles in my driveway are 'reliable'), so back on the bumper had to go...
View media item 64833View media item 64830View media item 64832View media item 64831
There is a lot of zip ties holding that front bumper cover on, but it will at least hold till next storm or till I can afford a new bumper...

Next project was a little more productive, if anyone recalls I broke a shock that last time I was out (November?), and with having to drive the truck a little more I needed to get that situated, Monroe apparently has stopped production of there super cheap blue shocks, so I had to go with something different and went with there heavy duty shocks, being I run 80 series front coils and rear shocks, I should have probably just run the better shocks from the get go.

Old Rusted vs New Shiny
View media item 64834The body is noticeably larger then the cheaper ones
View media item 64836The stud as well, as you can see the cheap on on the good side was starting to bend, probably the same issue that cause the other shock to break.
View media item 64835
The ride improvement is phenomenal now I just need to get some extended bump stops to keep from doing this again, and get the fronts replaced if I can find new shocks or a better option.

Swap in an LS ... after spinning main bearings in several Nissan VQ35 engines with twin turbos I swapped in an LS2 to my 350Z. I gave up a bunch of whp, but the car is so much fun to drive with the LS in it.

Cruiser maint this weekend, just small stuff:
New 6k high/low beam headlights
Oil & filter Change
Purge catch can
Took a BFH to the core support and hood latch to finally get the hood to sit level with the front of the fenders
Found the PO put a bunch of crap clamps on the trans cooler lines and looks like they were spraying all over, band-aid fix for now until weather is better for correct fix
Brakes, diff fluid, transfer case fluid and grease the drive shafts and U-joints is next, but haven't done the grease before and I'm a little scared of it.

Fixed the hood over the weekend ... hit a big gust today on the highway and saw it lift a little. Now I can't get the 2nd part of the latch to disengage to get it open. 3rd time on this fix is the charm I hope. Sigh ... :bang:

Original owner drove the vehicle through high water and hydrolocked the motor

$2k core charge on the og engine so no such luck.

Ah, tis the season for hydrolock. Got one around this time when I was back at Toyota, every year there was at least one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom