What are you working on? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a factor 55 prolink the other day. While I was at it I went to install a new winch control box as we had a brand new one at the shop that had a damaged cover. Since the new cover was damaged I needed to reuse my old one. During that process 3 of the new solenoid studs broke and 3 of the old ones broke. So one trip to quadratec later I'm several bucks lighter to "fix" something that worked perfectly fine. Moral of the story: if it ain't broke...

Feel your pain, I try to stick with the, "it's Broke, Upgrade!"

I think the only real long term fix is new headlight housings. It seems like after you polish them your committed to doing it 2-3 times a year.

See I feel with the off the shelf stuff its designed that way, you can take my process one step further by doing a clear coat of pain, and then wet sanding and buffing, and that will get them to last even longer.

Right now this is a test to see how long it will last like this without any wax on them (didn't have any at the time I did this) and go from there, the Camry headlights will definitely need to be replaced soon due to them being the cheap ebay ones.

This weekends project.

20170209_175603.jpg

Today I did a Toytec 3" lift on a 2015 tundra. Customer is a friend of my fiancé. I doubt it will ever see the trails, but it will look darn good. With that said she's looking to sell the factory trd suspension. I nor her have any idea what it's worth but if any of you guys are interested I could certainly put a deal together. Needless to say work was quite enjoyable today.

IMG_7286.JPG

IMG_7288.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Hand-drilled and tapped my 283's crank snout to accept a crank bolt to help install the harmonic balancer, hold it on, and give me a wrenching point to rotate my engine in the future.

Was really nervous about drilling the crank but it came out pretty straight...not something you want to screw up!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Took advantage of the beutiful day and gave the fj a full cleaning inside and out. Lurking in the background is the wagon I recently finished up to replace my fiancés tdi wagon that was bought back on last Thursday. @VBRoamer did yours get bought back yet or are you still waiting?

IMG_7312.JPG

After the meeting yesterday I made a b-line to the shop to meet up with a buddy of mine to install a set of sliders and a new rear bumper. Sliders were a major pita to install. Drilling through the bottom of the frame was quite the task.

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG

Performed a bunch of needed maintenance on the FJ today. Transmission flush, rebuilt both CV axles, oil change, inspection and a front wheel bearing. In the process I found I had a broken gas tank strap so I pretty happy I found that before it ended poorly. I also found out there are inner and outer seals for the wheel bearing so it had to sit disassembled overnight until I can get my mitts on a set in the morning.

IMG_7368.JPG

IMG_7369.JPG

@joabmc where did you get those links? I was wondering the other day if anyone made those.
I had them made. Have to do a little modding yet. Trying to find a better hitch pin alternative and need to relocate my swaybar to insure I done rip my ABS sensor wire off.
So can you so these dis-assembled? I am looking for a simila system for my 80.
Sure thing. I can get some measurements for you.

Took a long look once again my my clutch components and transmission input shaft bearing. The truck had made some "chugging" noises in neutral before I tore it down. This suggests the input bearing might be bad, but it looks ok to me...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The pilot bushing was toast:

image.jpeg

I'm hoping the noise was the throw out bearing riding the pressure plate fingers...but clearly this truck had some considerable issues.

nothing in the transmission itself looks "bad" to me - everything spins smoothly by hand, only a slight bit of play in the input shaft lateral and in/out, but I'd hate to reinstall to find out I was wrong...

I'd also hate to spend the money on a rebuild if it "ain't broke."

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

Rick- with the engine running, transmission in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed, the engine and input shaft turn at the same speed, in this condition any noise would most likely be in the transmission. Any noise you hear when the clutch pedal is depressed would most likely be from the clutch release bearing. I noticed that your pilot bearing was really worn on the end from some sort of thrust action against it. Maybe the ID is worn too but of course I can't tell from the pictures. With the front bearing retainer in place on your transmission (to keep the input shaft bearing properly captured) there should be very little front-back (in-out) play. If you have a lot of this it might be allowing your input shaft to push against the pilot bushing. Take a look at the area on the front of your input shaft where the splines start to see if you see wear in that area caused by thrusting against the rear face of the pilot bushing.

Rick- with the engine running, transmission in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed, the engine and input shaft turn at the same speed, in this condition any noise would most likely be in the transmission. Any noise you hear when the clutch pedal is depressed would most likely be from the clutch release bearing. I noticed that your pilot bearing was really worn on the end from some sort of thrust action against it. Maybe the ID is worn too but of course I can't tell from the pictures. With the front bearing retainer in place on your transmission (to keep the input shaft bearing properly captured) there should be very little front-back (in-out) play. If you have a lot of this it might be allowing your input shaft to push against the pilot bushing. Take a look at the area on the front of your input shaft where the splines start to see if you see wear in that area caused by thrusting against the rear face of the pilot bushing.

Hey Gary - as to not clutter up this thread I'll send you a PM.

I'm not part of the Keystone crowd, but here's my Pioneering kit.

HMWVV rack:

Added holders for Bow Saw, Machete, Crowbar, Mini-sledge, and Hatchet:

It's going to be able to attach/remove from a standard 2" receiver hitch. I'll be welding one to my rear tire carrier soon. Just need to be taken apart, tweaked a bit, and cleaned up for paint.

Started building a rotisserie for my 40 project. Steel is cut to size. Spent the better part of the day yesterday drilling a myriad of holes and prepping for welding. I'm not a pro welder so I'm having fun learning to weld. Learned a lot about drilling 3/4" holes in steel and that my bench top is less than optimal. Rotisserie plan from Red Wing Steel Works. Pneumatic casters so I can tow to second floor of my garage where my blasting and paint room is located. More to follow.
Screenshot_20170320-115133.png
20170319_160141.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom