What are real-world results from Supercharging? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I've read a bunch of the supercharger installation threads, but I can't seem to find "Before and after" results from anyone... you know - 0-60 times, etc. I know we can see results from dynos, but I want to know what actually happens in the real world - day to day- that you can measure yourself.

Can someone help out here?

All the best,

Muddy1

I merge with hwy traffic with ease loaded down on 35s and don't drop to right lane in our east coast hills. With new rad Tstat and water pump the temps remain near stock and mpg measures the same as my buddies similar built stock motor.

I'm a little amazed by the abundance of snarky remarks, with no attempt to answer the question.

Let me give an example.

I did 5 different mods to my last rig. (e.g. change intake, change exhaust, change turbo programming, etc.)

When I first started, my 0-60 time was 16.5 seconds.

I measured my 0-60 times after each mod.

By the end of the 5th mod, my 0-60 time was 9.5 seconds.

Yes, yes, I am an engineer, and I understand measuring different metrics- IAT, EGT, ambient air temp, coolant temp, etc. etc. I also understand the value of changing one variable at a time.

BUT I see no issue with asking "What did you see before/after you did the mod?"

Good grief.

Muddy1

Last edited:
WTF is this "real world"?

If it requires actual, factual data, I want no part and will happily remain in the land of sunshine and unicorns, where butt dyno is biblical word and the wicked witch can be summoned with "caster, caster, caster".

Welcome to Mud, by the way. :flipoff2:

To me, "Real World" would be something like: "The 0-60 time before I put on the supercharger was around 11 seconds. After I put it on, it dropped to 9 seconds, measuring it with my iPhone 0-60 app. I did 10 runs before and 10 runs after, on the same stretch of road near my house. I find it much easier to drive, and I can run regular unleaded without pinging."

Muddy1

But, why... does it really matter???
And 0-60 measurements are arbitrary because so many factors effect the results (weight, tires, gearing, air pressure, humidity, air temp, etc.).
And it wasn't like I was going to yank the SC if it didn't meet some random performance 0-60 criteria.
The TC guys think they are inefficient, the normally aspirated guys think they make you overheat and I'm a happy camper with my no longer available 6.5psi supercharger and seven injectors.

Well... Yes, I think it matters to those who are looking at options and pricing, etc.

I agree that you wouldn't yank the SC if it didn't meet some criteria. I'm sure it helps.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much it helps in day to day driving, merging into traffic, highway passing at high speed, going up hills, etc.

YES, I know 0-60 has some variability - I already conceded that! But we still do them, because they help you to do some form of apples to apples comparisons.

I can tell you this. When I changed my old rig from 11.5 seconds to 9.5 seconds 0-60 time, I was happy to drive it, and I DID drive it for 10 years with zero complaints. I know that my TLC is slower (by a bunch) than my old rig, and I'm looking at affordable, reliable ways to add power. It's a lot easier to add power to a turbo-charged diesel engine than it is to a gasser series 80. So, I'm just asking around.

*sigh*

Muddy1

honestly, I just did a full head rebuild and sc on my 96 fzj80 and can't say enough good things about it! I just did a trip to big bear and the truck ran awesome. Much more power headed up into the mountains and I never had to redline the engine at all. Just easy cruising and plenty of power. On the freeway I hauled at 75 mph the whole time. I am very happy with the result as now the truck is just a great family expedition vehicle. We ran gold mountain trail and then camped for the night. The hottest I got was 203. I expect it to get even better when I install my snorkel, air to air intercooler and methanol injection.

As far as merging and going up hills it makes a big difference. I think the transgo shift kit also really helped as well as adjusting my shift cable properly.

I merge with hwy traffic with ease loaded down on 35s and don't drop to right lane in our east coast hills. With new rad Tstat and water pump the temps remain near stock and mpg measures the same as my buddies similar built stock motor.

define "loaded down"?

my naturally aspirated '94 has no trouble with the leadfoot traffic in north-central Utah. And apparently we're known for that. 80mph all the way from Orem to St. George, 75mph all the way from St. George to Orem towing all 2000 pounds of a 1984 jetta coupe + car dolly. 13mpg unloaded, 12.5mpg loaded :(.

Logically speaking, forced induction increases the effective displacement of your engine, by increasing the effective volume of the cylinder. I'm a big fan of european turbo-4 engines for this reason.

Since the super charger is no longer available the debate has less significance with each passing day. On the other hand I guess there is no harm in talking about history.

I thought there were still a few kits out there?

Turbocharging probably has a greater bang/buck ratio. it's just a shame there isn't a better bolt-on kit than the currently available option from, eh, was it cx racing? I forget. IC where the winch should be and a nameless chinese turbo is all i remember for sure.

I know this answer isn't like what you want, but this is why I am doing a S/C:
1. It's a no-brainer kit I can compare apples to apples with others here.
2. It's been through Toyota, so people thought it out to make the kit.
3. Mods I add are ones others here blazed the trail on & de-bugged.

The bottom line to me - if it helps turn the rubber & offset the added weight of crap I carry to a point where my 80 feels even close to when is was stock then GREAT - that is an arbitrary thing & if it doesn't hit it'll be close. Good enough for me since it's a 3ton rig all loaded or when I just plain tow the boat.
I think it's a "anything helps" piece since we aren't talking Mclaren or Ferrari or Porsche.

I dyno-ed mine after the TRD SC add and got 177 HP / 246 ft-lbs Torque. Lower numbers than I expected, but with all the drive-train drag, 5.29 gears, 35" meats, etc. I guess it's reasonable. I haven't ever clocked a 0-60 time since I don't drag race her fat ass, but I no longer dog or downshift on long +6% highway climbs...she pulls like a muther-f*cker. MPG is nearly the same (as long as you don't lead-foot it). Pulley Boys make smaller diameter pulleys which will add boost up to 10psi if you want to get freaky (although less reliable and will void TRD warranty, but that's over in 1 year anyhow).

No one is being snarky, these are all things we have been asking supercharged members for years.

those of us that posted all agree with you that real numbers would be great. In fact I start a thread a while back and post results of 15-60mph times for stock and 3 turbo'd tricks and invited the LS swap guys, the SC guys and the diesel guys to put up a speedo video of their time just so we would have comparisons. Guess how many videos got put up? 0.

So no one is being snarky we just want to see real data too. But aren't holding our breath.

I'm a little amazed by the abundance of snarky remarks, with no attempt to answer the question.

Let me give an example.

I did 5 different mods to my last rig. (e.g. change intake, change exhaust, change turbo programming, etc.)

When I first started, my 0-60 time was 16.5 seconds.

I measured my 0-60 times after each mod.

By the end of the 5th mod, my 0-60 time was 9.5 seconds.

Yes, yes, I am an engineer, and I understand measuring different metrics- IAT, EGT, ambient air temp, coolant temp, etc. etc. I also understand the value of changing one variable at a time.

BUT I see no issue with saying "What did you see before/after you did the mod?"

Good grief.

Muddy1

This is good starting data. A stock truck on a 4 wheel dyno jet usually makes between 135-145hp around 185ft/lbs so you're seeing about a

177/135 = 31% increase in hp
246/185 = 33% increase in torque

Approx crank power 212*.31% = 278hp
Approx crank torque 275*33% = 366ft/lbs

Granted these are very ballpark numbers since you didn't have a before number on the same dyno but pretty respectable.

Doing a quick look up on the 5.3 LS that guys are swapping they make around 300-315hp and 300-340ft/lbs so fairly comparable.

I dyno-ed mine after the TRD SC add and got 177 HP / 246 ft-lbs Torque. Lower numbers than I expected, but with all the drive-train drag, 5.29 gears, 35" meats, etc. I guess it's reasonable. I haven't ever clocked a 0-60 time since I don't drag race her fat ass, but I no longer dog or downshift on long +6% highway climbs...she pulls like a muther-f*cker. MPG is nearly the same (as long as you don't lead-foot it). Pulley Boys make smaller diameter pulleys which will add boost up to 10psi if you want to get freaky (although less reliable and will void TRD warranty, but that's over in 1 year anyhow).

Last edited:
Thanks for that breakdown on the numbers scottryana! I am planning on adding an intercooler kit along (which I got from a fellow mudder) with the smaller pulley to up the boost. When I do, I'll post the numbers on that also. It won't be for a while because I'm currently working in Vietnam.

Spanks again

Snarky?

A reminder that it's a fat ass, three ton station wagon may be snarky.

Short of is typical Mud.

Take chill pill, laugh, and enjoy the conversation.

Since the super charger is no longer available the debate has less significance with each passing day. On the other hand I guess there is no harm in talking about history.

Anything is possible in said land of sunshine and rainbows, including bagging big bad buck unicorns....

image.jpg

Spanks again

I sure will.....

0-60 testing in any land cruiser is just cruel. I think that's the reason most of the responses you'll get are "I didn't have to drop a gear driving up the pass." I'm in the planning stages for a DIY turbo for the 80, and I can guarran-damn-tee you will not be doing any 0-60 tests. Maybe a dyno run, but highly doubtful :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom