What a great website, couple of ?'s... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently purchased an '85 LC with 149,000 miles. I love it, and consider myself a medium wrencher. With this forums help i've already burped the coolant (now temp never reaches over half way) and will attempt to adjust valves this weekend. I tried to search for it, but have a couple of questions. First off, besides purchasing a Tuffy, is there any easy cupholder that will fit in the rig? I love my morning coffee but not in my lap :mad: Is there one that snaps into that empty slot under the radio? Or do i need to go the 3rd party route(maybe a beverage buoy?)
Also, HOLY MOLY this truck is slow! I thought my old 29 HP Karmann Ghia was slow but i think it would beat the LC on the dragstrip!
Thanks in advance for your help and this is a great forum with some priceless information:cheers:

A tuffy console is a great upgrade from the stock console. Not only do you get an arm rest and more storage, you can add cupholders on the front and on the rear, too! However, your stock console should have two square cup holders on the drivers side, behind/above the emergency brake. If you don't have these, then post up in the parts wanted section and someone that has converted to a tuffy may have a spare stock set.

The stock cup holder is item 17 on the attached picture from Specter Off-Road, Inc.-Landcruiser Parts & Accessories
center console.jpg

Last edited:
These landcruisers are "pre-latte" so the cup holders are not so great. NAPA sells a nice two-cup holder with a place to stick your change and hold your I-pod or whatever, it attaches w/either velcrow or I would use a couple of self-tapping screws. If I can find the part # I'll post it, I think it was about $25.00.

Regarding your slowness... I know these pigs are slow but in speaking with a fellow mudder recently, he realized his stock 2F had extremely low compression on 2 cylinders when all this time he just thought it was the slow 2F.

Have you checked your compression?

yes i had a mechanic who works on LC's in the area do a complete check of the truck before i bought it, including a compression check. Prob. a waste of $150 but i needed the peace of mind. The compression numbers were better than i thought they would be and all close to one another. I was more making a stab at the slowness, it's growing on me though. actually in first and second gear it has pretty good pick up, it's just going from 40 to 60 on the highway that takes forever. thank goodness i don't live by many hills. I love the tuffy, since my LC is brown I guess i'd order a "spice" one with the cupholders. I'd like to try that din one as well. has anyone here tried installing one? Thanks for all the responses, i'm a proud new owner. :cheers:

My sig sez it all....................................

just get used to going the speed limit(or less) now

For highway efficiency keep the RPMs under 3000, better @ 2500

with my 32X11.50X15 tires, 2500rpm is 62 mph

perfect road speed, perfect engine speed

welcome! :beer:

Also "fuel efficiency" is a relative term

on your best day you won't get over 15-17mpg

:beer:

for a cup holder, just put a roll of duct tape on the tranny hump

Bill

yea on my second fill-up i averaged 14 mpg, i was actually excited. I have the two cup holders on the console, but they seem better flipping drinks high into the air over bumps than controlling spills. I swear they are sitting on some sort of spring. I like the duct tape idea, i'll do that today.
Also, is it even worth it to try and fix my power antenna? Or just ignore that it doesn't work and leave it up?
:cheers:

Did 60's come with power antenna option? Neither of mine have a power antenna.

since knowone else has done it yet i will...

Welcome :flipoff2:

Welcome! Where in SC are you? Upstate Cruisers is a great club. The main group is in the upstate and there's a lowcountry group in the Charleston area. Check out the clubhouse forum for a meeting time/place.

since knowone else has done it yet i will...

Welcome :flipoff2:

Sorry about that! Welcome!!!! You will soon be doing this :hmm: when you are not doing this :steer: , this :doh: , or this :bang: . :)

Did 60's come with power antenna option? Neither of mine have a power antenna.

You can get a power antenna for the FJ60. There is a switch that fit's in one of the blank spots under the heater controls. The antenna is the same as from and FJ62. On my 1985 the wiring was already there.

... I was more making a stab at the slowness, it's growing on me though. actually in first and second gear it has pretty good pick up, it's just going from 40 to 60 on the highway that takes forever. thank goodness i don't live by many hills....

I was a little concerned about the slowness as well. I did a Rodney flush to the trans and then adjusted the accelerator and kick-down cables. It made a world of difference. I can now actually pass folks on the highway!

Oh and welcome to Mud! :flipoff2:

I honestly have no problems passing people with my 2f, all I have on it is a weber 32 and some headers, I haven't checked the compression but it feels better than any other 2f I have ever driven so I would say its good.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom