Wet Driver Floor - Is this why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, guys. Sooooo I'm pretty sure this is why my driver's floor is wet. My headliner is totally dry and always has been, but I recently pulled my weathertech liners to clean them off and found that my driver's side carpet was soaked.

I looked all over the inside, checked my sunroof drains, then found this.
Will some silicone get me through the winter, or do I need to schedule a glass R/R Asap?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zG3ugzzs9ys2pJRE6

20181224_101444.jpg

Glass R/R.

The reason being you are almost assured of finding rust underneath that and possibly in other places as well.

You will want to have any rust attended to before it becomes worse. Insist on an OEM windshield gasket (or provide your own) there is also a specific technique to installing the windshield on an 80 series so make certain the installer is aware of that.

Good luck.

Flint

It could be but look up "fire truck mod" to see what most people attempt first. I am considering the same solution but at the same time a new gasket is about $65 and with installation (according to FSM) it's probably about $150? Main reason I'm unsure of doing the mod is I kind of want to make sure my windshield frame isn't rusted though I don't know what I would do if it is as I'd be relying on the shop to take it off for me. Winter makes it tougher for using the sealant as well but seems worth trying if you're in a pinch.

Did u clear your sunroof gutters??? Run a soft rubber coated wire down each gutter hold and clear them. Or get up underneath your rig and find the drains and reem them from underside with a flexy type wire.

The other spot to silicone shut is where the glass meets the gasket on the windshield /inner side of gasket bakes out in the sun and acts like a trough funneling water in.

Did u clear your sunroof gutters??? Run a soft rubber coated wire down each gutter hold and clear them. Or get up underneath your rig and find the drains and reem them from underside with a flexy type wire.

The other spot to silicone shut is where the glass meets the gasket on the windshield /inner side of gasket bakes out in the sun and acts like a trough funneling water in.
They seem to be draining fine. The plugs in the rockers were clear and my headliner is dry. My floor was dry a month ago, too. So at least it's recent.

Like @bugsnbikes was tracking, I’d be up there with a glass of water proving to myself the sunroof drains work before I go after the windshield.

Not saying your windshield isn’t the problem, I just prove out to myself the “low hanging fruit” -type stuff before tackling a windshield job or finding a good shop that will do it right & hiring it out.

That’s just my opinion.

I recently saw an 80 getting its windshield replaced. Clean 80 in SoCal.

Underneath the old gasket revealed a disheartening amount of rust. The owner must’ve been so downtrodden.

Check yours ASAP everyone. The leak may be the least of your worries.

Last edited:
Im in exact same boat, Im getting OEM windshield seal from @beno and pulling, inspecting and touching up AI Liner around windshield mines on passenger side but exact same result. My telltale is the fog on the bottom edge of windshield and everything else is dry.

Did you resolve this issue?

I'm starting to think that I my leak is windshield related. I checked the sunroof drains and they were clean. My headliner has never been wet and my slit drains are clear as well.

My 80 is fairly rust free so I'd be surprised if this is the issue. I would also not know how to fix it was so your experience would be helpful.

Did you resolve this issue?

I'm starting to think that I my leak is windshield related. I checked the sunroof drains and they were clean. My headliner has never been wet and my slit drains are clear as well.

My 80 is fairly rust free so I'd be surprised if this is the issue. I would also not know how to fix it was so your experience would be helpful.

I also dealt with a wet passenger floorboard for probably a year checked all the usual stuff. Finally, a stroke of luck after a wheeling trip caught a huge bulls-eye on the windshield (gave my friend in front of me a hard time about this). Since I had windshield coverage, I had it replaced. Surprise, dry floorboards.

Heater core leaking??

I would also check the rain gutters. If the seam sealer is cracking or missing water can get in that way also. Mainly happens on the 60's but have seen it on the 80's as well.

Firetruck mod (caulking under existing weatherstripping of the windshield) is what I think fixed it for me. Of course, I did a bunch of sunroof stuff at the same time (cleaned the slit drains, stuck wire through the windshield drains, and replaced the rear drain lines completely) so that may have had something to do with it. But I'm pretty sure mine was a slow seepage under the old windshield weatherstripping that was exaggerated when the nose pointed uphill. Also mostly on the drivers side and as far back as the second row.

Same here, I used sealant under the windshield gasket on both sides and it fixed my leaks.
Also sealed sunroof but that wasn't it which lead me to this.

Usually a wet floorboard is a result of one of three: leaking sunroof or sunroof drain, leaking windshield, or less likely but a possibility is a leaking heater core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom