Wet floor, dripping from the headliner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Occasionally I’ve had wet floors for as long as I’ve owned this 80. But here in AK, it’s frozen most the year , and I’ve ignored this issue. However now it’s dripping from the headliner beside the sun roof.

I ran weedwacker line down the sunroof drains in the front corners. Is there another set of sun roof drains ?

There is holes towards the back of of the sunroof tray that have rivets or something up inside them that were leaking on mine. I used some windshield urethane to seal them up.

2F2094A2-8C7F-48DD-A850-05EC061404C3.jpeg

Yeah for the drains in the back. I have seen where the drain hoses kink a little before going down and out.

There are also two lines to the rear.

The drain tubes aren't super skinny, so running something through them will only yield results if they are really full of debris, which has always seemed unlikely to me. The more important factor seems to be the tiny drain slits under the rocker panels, where the front tubes drain into. They are small and easily clogged, tubes get backed up, and the sunroof tray gets overwhelmed with water, thus finding its way onto the headliner. When I cleared the rocker drains while having the same issue, a bunch of dirty water came pouring out, and it hasn't happened again.

The rear hoses make a direct exit, so much less possibility of clogging

Of course, it's also possible your leak is due to something else, but the above is easy to check off. Also inspect the condition of the sunroof seal, and might as well take a look at the condition of your roof. Mine didn't appear bad at first glance (there was one lone rust spot) but upon further inspection I found some spider cracking in parts of the paint, went to redo that, and turns out I had a few pea-sized holes in the metal. That's since been repaired; still no issues.

I'm down in Juneau, so definitely know the struggle with precip!

Last edited:
Too much water may be getting past the sunroof glass seal and that can overwhelm the ability of the drain holes/hoses to empty the drain pan quick enough. That can cause the drain pan to overflow, more likely if you park with the vehicle tilted or on an incline. IME when the drain pan overflows the water can roll laterally then forward down/near the A pillar.

There are also two cable covers, front corners of the sunroof assembly held in place by one screw each. Water can work it's way from the drain pan (if overfull) to those screws and down past the screw threads. Fix is to put a dam (wall) of butyl rubber (Window Weld ribbon sealer) under the cable covers and use a thread sealant (or a dab of the butyl rubber under the screw heads) before installing them. The cable covers themselves can get warped which makes it more difficult to seal them up so you can attempt to flatten them out using a heat gun carefully.

First photo shows cable cover removed (note open screw hole) and the "dam" of butyl rubber I added:

FZJ80 Sunroof cable cover leak fix.JPG

Bottom photo shows the buyl rubber squeezing out after reinstalling the left cable cover. The front left drain hole is to the lower left in the photo (not visible), note how close the edge of the cover is to where the water runs toward the drain:

FZJ80 sunroof cable cover leak fix 2.JPG

FWIW those plastic cable covers could probably be made easily on a 3D printer if anyone out there does that type of work. A slight redesign might help it seal a bit better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom