Events/Trails West Mesa 4x4 Ride 2/1/2020 Before Super Bowl Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3am, still no sleep. I'm out. Have fun, be safe and post pics!
Get some rest , we will do this again. Next week into the Puerco, check out my other ride thread .

Well, I had good intentions of coming, but the back window on the 4R decided it wasn't going to roll up.

Well, I had good intentions of coming, but the back window on the 4R decided it wasn't going to roll up.
Sorry you couldn't make it. Next week's ride should be fun, too.

Had 18 4x4's, oops, one was 2 wheel drive Toyota prerunner truck. Guy just moved here from Cali. last week. He had a good time, and got to open it up in some of the arroyos. said he would join us again, including HDC.

I will post pics soon. And do a quick write up on the ride.
Stephen got his Toyota Van in and out of everywhere, Where 2 Jeep Cherokees got stuck, he drove right through. He has got his van figured out, and his off road skills are growing.

Stephen got his Toyota Van in and out of everywhere, Where 2 Jeep Cherokees got stuck, he drove right through. He has got his van figured out, and his off road skills are growing.

This reminds me of hang'n with the JeepinWV guys back east...they had no idea what to do with me and my 3rd Gen 4R! You'd think I'd showed up in a dodge caravan to hit the trails. For the first year they put me in the middle so they could pull me out ”when” I got stuck . By the time I moved back here they had no worries and tail gunned most of the time. 😎

I even had one guy tell there was no way I’d make it a rutted hill and he didn’t want me to even try. Little did he know I regularly ran the trail and never had any problems...he got showered in mud standing next to the trail as I made my way up. Tehe 🤭

I can only imagine the thoughts newly met people would have with Stephen driving an imported van off road.🤣

Sorry you couldn't make it. Next week's ride should be fun, too.
I will see what I can do. I left the gear out just in case. I did get the window up, but I can't explain why it keeps killing the power to the relay. It does it on full up and full down.

Thanks for organizing the run, Jeff!

@alia176
10A5E54E-638D-4A0C-9552-B0B43322AB7B.jpeg

Good times indeed Jeff, thank you for organizing and leading the trail run. It was cool to meet some new faces and realize how assbackwards CB radios really are :rofl:

1580654877322.png
1580655657005.png
1580656054045.png
1580656256171.png

PIctures from West Mesa ride.
DSCF2069.JPG
DSCF2073.JPG
DSCF2075.JPG
DSCF2084.JPG
DSCF2087.JPG

More pics...
DSCF2095.JPG
DSCF2098.JPG
DSCF2102.JPG
DSCF2106.JPG
DSCF2111.JPG

This reminds me of hang'n with the JeepinWV guys back east...they had no idea what to do with me and my 3rd Gen 4R! You'd think I'd showed up in a dodge caravan to hit the trails. For the first year they put me in the middle so they could pull me out ”when” I got stuck . By the time I moved back here they had no worries and tail gunned most of the time. 😎

I even had one guy tell there was no way I’d make it a rutted hill and he didn’t want me to even try. Little did he know I regularly ran the trail and never had any problems...he got showered in mud standing next to the trail as I made my way up. Tehe 🤭

I can only imagine the thoughts newly met people would have with Stephen driving an imported van off road.🤣

I think some of the drivers didn’t know what to make of me and my van and doubted that I could keep up when I drove up and started airing down. But as I say, the VanMan Can!

I think some of the drivers didn’t know what to make of me and my van and doubted that I could keep up when I drove up and started airing down. But as I say, the VanMan Can!
You are right, the VanMan can. There were several places on the trail that wheel placement was key, and you must have seen were you needed to place your tires, to make your Van get through them. If you had just followed the guy in front of you, that would not have worked for your Van. Hugely important when your 4x4 has open diffs. Nice driving!!:steer::cheers:

Good times indeed Jeff, thank you for organizing and leading the trail run. It was cool to meet some new faces and realize how assbackwards CB radios really are :rofl:

View attachment 2199299View attachment 2199314View attachment 2199316View attachment 2199318
I agree that HAM radio is the king of communications on the trail. With 17 rigs between me leading and my tail gunner, I missed some messages, but I would key my HAM mike and Ali would let me know what was happening in the back of the pack. You should ride with me sometimes and watch my juggling CB and HAM mikes, while driving. But, I love having some HDC guys on the trail with me, when I lead NM4W rides. So, I will continue to invite the HDC on NM4W rides. The entire group worked well together, and there were several people that were very new to 4Wheeling, and I liked how the experienced drivers stepped up and shared their tips with the newbies. We have to work together to promote our love of off roading.
Thanks to HDC members for helping out on this ride. Ali and Juan became my scouts, up ahead on the trail, while I was making sure the group stayed together. The Scouts would let me know what was up ahead, thanks. 👀🚙

It was indeed my pleasure to assist you Jeff, as I believe in good comm and keeping the group nice and tight. I enjoyed opening her up a tad to see how the suspension soaked up the spirited driving with a top heavy rig and she didn't disappoint. More power would've been nice but that'll come soon enough. I hope run into the black 4runner feller Andrew in the near future. I told him about HDC and Mud so he'll popup here eventually. I think he works at Sandia as well.

I agree that HAM radio is the king of communications on the trail. With 17 rigs between me leading and my tail gunner, I missed some messages, but I would key my HAM mike and Ali would let me know what was happening in the back of the pack. You should ride with me sometimes and watch my juggling CB and HAM mikes, while driving. But, I love having some HDC guys on the trail with me, when I lead NM4W rides. So, I will continue to invite the HDC on NM4W rides. The entire group worked well together, and there were several people that were very new to 4Wheeling, and I liked how the experienced drivers stepped up and shared their tips with the newbies. We have to work together to promote our love of off roading.
Thanks to HDC members for helping out on this ride. Ali and Juan became my scouts, up ahead on the trail, while I was making sure the group stayed together. The Scouts would let me know what was up ahead, thanks. 👀🚙
No problem Jeff I appreciate you setting this up and leading the way. It was a good day and I got to explore a lot of the West Mesa that I have never seen before. Look forward to many more!

No problem Jeff I appreciate you setting this up and leading the way. It was a good day and I got to explore a lot of the West Mesa that I have never seen before. Look forward to many more!
I think the West Mesa is worth getting out there more often. Big area and every time I get out there, I find something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom