Webasto install HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys!

I'm looking for some guidance here!

I made the mistake of ordering the Thermo Evo Top Webasto heater which is a 12V system...

Only when I was about to make a mounting bracket with the help of @franklin40 did we realize I got the wrong heater.

What heater would you guys recommend for installation? Webasto Thermo Pro 50 Eco?

I'm not ready to do a 12V conversion on my rig just yet!

Hey Guys!

I made the mistake of ordering the Thermo Evo Top Webasto heater which is a 12V system...

Only when I was about to make a mounting bracket with the help of @franklin40 did we realize I got the wrong heater.

What heater would you guys recommend for installation? Webasto Thermo Pro 50 Eco?

Just get yourself a big enough 24v to 12v converter for the Webasto.

Hey Guys!

Assuming this is for your HDJ81, they are a 12V electrical system EXCEPT the starting circuit, just make sure you connect all accesories to the RH battery and you're good to go. Anything connected to the LH battery, will see 24V during starting, RH side only for accesories.

Assuming this is for your HDJ81, they are a 12V electrical system EXCEPT the starting circuit, just make sure you connect all accesories to the RH battery and you're good to go. Anything connected to the LH battery, will see 24V during starting, RH side only for accesories.
HOLY s*** - this makes this whole thing much easier for me.

Thanks, man... I thought I totally f*cked this up.

k so i’m a 60 series guy with a 1hdt so it really doesn’t apply to me but i am curious to learn. how the heck does this system work? how does one battery get isolated from the other until the starter runs? can someone point me to a thread that discusses this or explain it?

k so i’m a 60 series guy with a 1hdt so it really doesn’t apply to me but i am curious to learn. how the heck does this system work? how does one battery get isolated from the other until the starter runs? can someone point me to a thread that discusses this or explain it?
Basically, one battery is grounded to the frame and has its positive side run through a huge relay. The other battery's negative and positive go through the relay. Under normal conditions the relay connects the positive side of both batteries and runs the negative of the second battery to ground. When the key is turned to the 'start' position the relay switches the second battery's negative from ground to the positive lead of the first battery, putting the two in series rather than parallel. The positive side of the second battery connects to the starter, sending 24v down the line.

Attachments

• Starting 2.pdf
    527.1 KB · Views: 45
This might help visualize it a bit better. The system is used in quite a few industrial applications.

1638286585631.png

how does that not send 24 v to everything though even just temporarily? i’m not electrical guru but i would assume that during the time that the starter was running that the whole system would be 24v no? i just don’t get how even for that moment the one battery can still be 12v.

how does that not send 24 v to everything though even just temporarily? i’m not electrical guru but i would assume that during the time that the starter was running that the whole system would be 24v no? i just don’t get how even for that moment the one battery can still be 12v.
Battery A will always be 12v to ground. Battery B will switch. All things 12V must connect to battery A (or be isolated from ground)

It looks like it's not available for download. does anyone have a copy they could send me?
I found a workshop manual and others ill upload here hope this will also help someone. better yet if someone can upload these to Resources that would be great!!!

Attachments

• Webasto_Heater_Marine_Thermo_Top_installation_manual.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 34
  • Webasto_Heater_Thermo_Top_C_E_&_Z_Installation_Manual.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Webasto_Heater_Thermo_Top_C_Spare_Part_manual.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
  • Webasto_Heater_Thermo_Top_C_Workshop_Manual.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 19
  • Webasto_Heater_Thermo_Top_Operating_manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
I found a workshop manual and others ill upload here hope this will also help someone. better yet if someone can upload these to Resources that would be great!!!
had some issues with my Webasto Here is a troubleshooting tree to follow

Attachments

• tsl-17-troubleshooting-tree-functional-description-tsl-17-switch-on.pdf
    435.1 KB · Views: 43
you can move 1 wire to make it more hotter.

Attachments

• Webasto Make More Hotter.pdf
    274.7 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom