Water Temperature Switch - '89 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my meandering journey to solve my cooling and engine temp issues, I just got done replacing my thermostat ('89 FJ62). During the job, the wire running into my water temperature switch (upper passenger side of the thermostat housing) broke off. It looks like SOR has the part used for $118, part# 182-67A-U.

Thing is, there seems to be a lot of info about water temp sending unit and water temperature sensor, but I can't find much info on the water temperature switch. I think the part number I'm looking for is 8942860060, and it seems to be discontinued. What does it do? Am I ok driving around without it until I can find a replacement?

I can't check NAPA until the morning, but is this part made after market?

Thanks

Last edited:
if the wire broke off, it likely is just a terminal. the old broken terminal stub can be removed from the housing and a new terminal crimped on and set into the connector housing. If you are talking about the sensor on the top right of the stat house (on your left looking at the engine bay), then that is the ECU temp switch for the CSI. mine broke off there once. you need a tiny screwdriver to actuate the locking tab of the old terminal in order to push it down and out of the connector housing. a fuel injector terminal end is what you need for that sensor, and they are available from places like injector rx, ect...

I can't quite find a connector online that matches the round shape I am looking for. Here is a picture of the connector that broke. Any ideas where to get this kind of connector?

unnamed.jpg

The connector is just that. And while it appears to have a broken retaining tab on the housing, it should still work as long as you got a new terminal on the end of the wire and got the broke off terminal out of your housing. My plastic connector housing also has a broken tab, but stays reasonably well now that it has a new terminal with a fresh crimp. Hth

Just a heads up, the one you found wont work. It is the right plug but the sensor end is to long to fit in the housing. At least from holding it on top. I'm gonna see if it threads in tomorrow.

Anyone know what will happen if it isnt working? Mines not leaking but the plastic is almost snapped off.

Anyone know what will happen if it isnt working? Mines not leaking but the plastic is almost snapped off.
I know this is super late but I was looking into this sensor more and came across this thread. I believe this temp switch is related to the fuel pressure circuit.
Slide1.jpg

So far mine hasnt caused any problems that I'm aware of. But I'm still searching for a replacement.

So far mine hasnt caused any problems that I'm aware of. But I'm still searching for a replacement.
This is the only replacement I have been able to find: More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TS213
It looks different but supposedly is a compatible part. I have been running one for a few months with no issues that I am aware of. I have a vague memory of testing it according to the FSM and it checked out but I will try and go back again and check on my rig pre and post warm up.

Any luck on this sensor? I’m replacing the water pump and t-stat and was going to change out every sensor on the housing. I believe it’s working properly but would still like to replace it since I’m in here. Thanks
Its been working I guess? haha. Truck has been running great so it must be. But I keep forgetting to functionally test it. Additionally, @ToyotaMatt have a line on OE units?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom