Water Temperature sender Location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering where the water temperature sending unit goes on the f motor? pictures would be great.

-also this is my 1000th post, And i just paypaled woody 20 bucks. :cool:

Last edited:
74fj40 said:
Do you have any pictures, the temp sending unit i purchased from Cdan, is to long and not wide enough...

What did he say?

..kind of a personal question....:)

Cdan told us it mounted on the side of the head somewhere, but we cannot find any location where it fits.....

Coolerman said:
Sure you are putting it in the right hole? :)

http://tinyurl.com/78nbk
IMG_0890b.jpg

Max, maybe this will help. Mine fits in a bushing, where the yellow pen is stuck...
h2o 002.jpg

where did ya get the bushing from? also what type of thread is it? IE, compression, pipe...

- what are the sizes, from what to what, (ex. 1/2" to 3/8) or whatever

ps - thanks for the picture - very nice looking engine!!

Last edited:
Max, it is pipethread, but I don't know the size. I may have one.

Ed

EDIT: Just checked and it is 1/2" into the head, presume 3'8" for the sender, but not fo' sho'.

Last edited:
Coolerman said:
Sure you are putting it in the right hole? :)

http://tinyurl.com/78nbk

Actually, mine is different than Coolerman's, but as long as the depth is adequate, any of three holes will work. Currently all that is hand threaded in ther until I get it into the truck and see how it lays out. I've seen some senders that(I think) are shorter, so that may make a difference.

Ed...again:D

Ask Cdan about the adapter tomorrow... ;)

that sender seems too long for it to be for the F engine...

I do not ever remember them being THAT long....they do use an adapter however.

good luck!

-Steve

We talked to Cdan today - he said for sure it was for the F motor, but that it was supposed to mount to the side of head somewhere - we can't find anywhere where that could happen.
His parts manuals don't show an adapter/housing, just a straight mount to the head.....
Been to a couple of hardware stores and no luck with a housing that will fit - guess we'll just keep lookin'.....

Poser said:
Ask Cdan about the adapter tomorrow... ;)

that sender seems too long for it to be for the F engine...

I do not ever remember them being THAT long....they do use an adapter however.

good luck!

-Steve

that bushing piece pictured in Ed's photo is similar to the adapter I have used to install mechanical temerature senders from Auto Meter.

Autometer part number: 2264

Their site does not show me a picture of it however...

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=66

I have not seen a Toyota temp sender that threads into the side of the cylinder head....only the top....and with the sender bulb on that piece you recieved from Cdan, you will need an adapter so that the tapered part of the sending unit seals against another machined surface inside the adapter, and spaces it up away from the casting...that is what the Autometer piece does with thier senders....

Good luck!

-Steve

you need the adaptor like degnol shows.. Try an earlier 40 like 67... I know my 64 has that piece. Dunno about the 66 as it's in pieces. Ask him about a 2f fj60 temp sensor... those you don't need an adaptor. And it really doesn't matter which spot in the head you put it. I'll find a pic later...
112_1244.JPG
112_1245.JPG
112_1247.JPG

Last edited:
wesintl said:
.. And it really doesn't matter which spot in the head you put it....

As long as it does not bottom out in the head....

Max,

I can look tomorrow on my 72 and see were it would go. According to SOR (http://www.sor.com/sor/products2.tam?xax=18751&category.ctx=182-12&page#.ctx=182) you need a "union" 052-15(sor's part number) but they say they are no longer available?? anyway if i have an "early" 72 motor i would be more than happy to give you the union as i am going to junk the motor anyway. Let me check for you tomorrow in the morning/evening depending on when i get my arse out of bed.

Stew

Yeah.. I think it's called a union as well. Lookin on the fische and epc.

11101G should get him to the unions.. then it's just which model.

Looks like my above pic of the small one shows it in a "union" as well.. I never realized it.

go down to colorado auto parts and yank one off a 60...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom