Water Pump for '85 FJ60 oil cooler?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I'm not a mechanic, and barely engine knowledgeable. Now that I have that out of the way...Will be rebuilding an '85 FJ60, USA wagon 2F engine.....when I search water pumps some sites say something like "This water pump is for Cruisers which have a fan clutch AND an oil cooler". OK, I've identified that my FJ60 does have a fan clutch but how the Hades do I know if it has an "oil cooler"?? Where would that be and what would it be connected to if I have one?? Thanks for any help on this frustrating dilemma!

1598128528612.png

1598128554644.png

Aisin/Asco WPT-017 Fan Clutch

Aisin WPT-028 (w/ Oil Cooler)

OEM Parts

I found it! HOWEVER.......both holes on the front have a plug and the two side pipes are not connected to anything. It`s like the cooler was installed but never connected to anything. Is that bad news??? I`ve been driving it for years like this.

Last edited:
The oil cooler bolts to the side of the engine. It’s like a little radiator. Coolant flows in and out of the pipes cooling the oil. The bolts holding it onto the side of the engine are bolts. What’s shown in spikes picture is a modification. One of the pipes connects to a port on the water pump and the other to the thermostat housing.

don’t know why yours is not connected. Maybe some pictures would help.

6DEB2489-C3F5-46A7-BECB-BAB98B9849C9.png

Thanks 2mbb.....the diagram helps me even more to understand.....here's the best I could do photowise... the upper left pipe (not seen) is the same as the lower right pipe (seen). Nothing further attached, it`s just the oil cooler bolted on and nothing else. I bought the wagon in 1995, maybe it was like this then or maybe along the way an unscrupulous mechanic had his way...I never paid attention as long as the car ran well. The thing is now...what water pump do I buy? Obviously this cooler is not connected to the existing pump. I`ll have to figure out why not. BUT THE MAIN QUESTION IS if I buy a water pump meant to connect to this cooler do I have to connect it or can I plug the inlet/outlets in the pump so I don't have to use the cooler?. OR do I have to find a water pump that does not require an oil cooler? PLUS, maybe this cooler is shot...they sell on ebay for $300++. Then I`d need to find all the additional hoses/connectors. This is a real dilemma...looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking!!

You don't have to have the oil cooler. Earlier 2Fs didn't have one and you can run the other type Oil Filter Bracket no problem.

1598144621471.png

The one without the nipple for the Oil Cooler line

You can sometimes find the OEM rebranded as Delco, etc... You'll have to look in the box. Don't know what's available to you in Costa Rica or if you're planning on mail order....

WPT-063 is the Aisin OEM. Local parts house should be able to get it. Also from Toyota.

1598146578986.png

Buying parts online and shipping them down here for the most part....the info and advice you guys give is really impressive especially to a
know- nothing like myself. On the other hand now I do know something. I'll check out these part numbers, maybe talk personal to one of the places where I've been making purchases....cruiser outfitters, cruiser corp, specter....thanks muchos for taking the time to explain things!!!!!!

@ToyotaMatt

I don't know if Matt will ship to Costa Rica, but he can set you up with everything you need.

Buying parts online and shipping them down here for the most part....the info and advice you guys give is really impressive especially to a
know- nothing like myself. On the other hand now I do know something. I'll check out these part numbers, maybe talk personal to one of the places where I've been making purchases....cruiser outfitters, cruiser corp, specter....thanks muchos for taking the time to explain things!!!!!!

@Don Pedro

matt here

i DO ship international

and i can help .......

PM sent

@ToyotaMatt

I don't know if Matt will ship to Costa Rica, but he can set you up with everything you need.

Thanks Spike...didn`t know he did that...he is working on my cylinder locks and ignition (re-keying). I`ll send him a message...

Thanks Spike...didn`t know he did that...he is working on my cylinder locks and ignition (re-keying). I`ll send him a message...

Small TEq World .........

You can plug that extra outlet that goes to the oil cooler. I used a sender for a mechanical water temp gauge; two birds, one stone...

PLUS, maybe this cooler is shot...they sell on ebay for $300++.

Curious here, what would one do to test the oil cooler to see if its good or not? Since you have it OP, wouldn't you want to try and make use of it? As you can see in the diagram provided there are a few pipes and hoses needed to make it work, so maybe someone in this trucks past had an issue with one of those bits, and simply decided to delete the cooler because of it. Might work perfectly fine.

Curious here, what would one do to test the oil cooler to see if its good or not? Since you have it OP, wouldn't you want to try and make use of it? As you can see in the diagram provided there are a few pipes and hoses needed to make it work, so maybe someone in this trucks past had an issue with one of those bits, and simply decided to delete the cooler because of it. Might work perfectly fine.
Using it was my first choice before I began to dig deeper. Lower pipe available at $50. Upper nowhere to be found. Then I figured, heck, it's been running fine for at least 20 yrs without it so........ I'll keep it and clean it up, who knows n
maybe down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom