Water Crossing Pierce Creek OHV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLC2013

SILVER Star
Threads
Spent the day exploring some trails in the Tahoe National Forest. Majority of the time was on the Pierce Creek OHV trail. Made it to the first large stream/river crossing and didn’t dare attempt to cross. Set up for lunch and watched some 4runners attempt the crossing.
Only one sacked up and attempted the crossing and made it after a few attempts.

initially I thought no way, especially with the family with me but as i re-watch the video I think possibly I could pick the right line and get safely across... but only having a tough dog lift and 32.6” tires (285/65r18) I was hesitant as the 4runner had Much bigger lifts and tires. I think I made the right choice.

What are your guys opinions? Did I puss out or make the right choice?

53B5F8CB-6700-41D6-B189-8BCCC1EA137D.jpeg

9C108BF9-2F48-4DD8-8BC6-F1F3DFA64BBF.jpeg

By yourself, maybe you could of gone for it. With the family, always better to error on the side of caution. You made the right choice.

I wouldn’t attempt with out a snorkel. Water crossings are even scarier from behind the wheel. Big time pucker factor driving a $30-40k truck in 2 feet of water.

Just wait a few months, and try when the waters are lower. I'd assume that's fed from snowmelt.

It's a fun trail, nothing extreme and wide enough to avoid pin striping. Had fun in the shallow 1-2 foot water ponds.
I'll be back once the water levels drop. Got to give that 4runner props. Only one from his group to venture across.

98C6EBF0-6F1B-4892-8CDF-E9649C3480A2.jpeg

You made the right choice. Whenever I am out with the wife and kids, I always err on the side of caution. Always.

Look at my avatar...this was in Iceland. Our very seasoned Icelandic guide (in his massive/built Defender with like 44's) wasn't comfortable with a braided river crossing that he had done hundreds of times in the past. The water level was way up, higher than he had ever seen it. He did the smart thing and called in some locals on the other side of the river so he had a truck to follow across. They knew exactly where to cross. We followed them and had no issues. He didn't let his ego get us in trouble.

You made the right decision.

no such thing as "puss out" when you have family onboard and it's not a mandatory crossing for logistics or safety. agree with others...

Just remember to turn off the traction control before you enter the water. Nothing worse than starting to drift sideways and the motor won't spin the tires with your panicked foot on the floor. I wouldn't call that crossing extreme or dangerous. Just my opinion. Done worse with my F-I-L and grandkids in the car.

If you are hesitant to try something and aren't sure if you can make it and water is involved, don't do it. Seriously. I made a very expensive mistake about 20 years ago in my first Jeep with a water crossing running at ~3x normal, and after convincing myself I shouldn't be a wuss in front of my friends I went for it and had a $7k engine replacement repair bill afterwards. Water crossings like the one you posted can be totally benign or catastrophic 6" to the right or the left, and unless you know it like the back of your hand and/or have walked it to ensure you know what you're getting into, it just isn't worth it especially with your family with you. You definitely made the right choice, and the only person's opinion that matters in these situations is yours - don't worry what anyone else will say or think. Especially not random guys on the internet ;)

Yeah, I think you probably could have made it, but certainly wouldn't characterize not doing it as "pussing out". I'd call it pretty damn smart. You ended the day with family and truck intact (presumably). Sounds like a great day to me.

I wouldn't have done it. I mean, you'd *probably* be fine, but if you're not what's your plan B?

I've seen someone ford a fast moving river crossing (in a jacked up '74 Ford pickup), overshoot the ledge, and end up hood deep in the water. Then they decide to drive down river at that point (instead of across) and aim for the shore about 100 yards further downstream. Smashed a rock just before the bank, somehow bounded up onto the shore, and when they stopped they were coughing and sputtering and revving their engine trying to keep it going for a few minutes. While we watched their antics unfold (before they made it to land) we all were looking at each other trying to decide if anyone would risk their own vehicle to try and pull them out of the water if they stalled and started heading downstream. To the point in my first paragraph, they'd stalled, hydrolocked, and/or been pulled down river, what was their plan B?

According to the USGS: 12" of water exerts 500# of lateral force. 24" exerts 1500# of force, which is enough to lift your vehicle up, while 1000# is enough to push you downstream.

Howeverrrrrrrrr...... if my wife says that it could not be done..... I probably would.......LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom