Water Pump Squeal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could use some help identifying an all of a sudden squeal/groan in the front motor parts. Started out of nowhere. Went on a 400 mile trip. Next day noise started immediately after start up. Sound does seem more 'groan' like, like it could be a bearing going out. I cant easily determine if its the water pump going out or the tensioner/ belt parts. I've ruled out power steering, hopefully. I've sprayed water on the belt and it doesn't go away. Went on the highway for a bit and the noise is consistent and speed doesn't really affect the squeal/groan. Its there all the time. At idle it seems like its coming from the water pump power steering area but they are all so close together anyway (I know not very helpful). I don't see any leaks (levels are normal) but its hard to see the water pump weep hole since its so buried and I don't have time to start taking things apart at the moment. Has anyone experienced a water pump going out where everything seems to be operating normally other than a squeal/groan coming from it? Or does this seem more like a textbook tensioner going out? Water pump, tensioner, belt and idler all changed same time 44k miles ago so seems premature for any of them to be failing but i'm ordering them all again anyway. Yes OEM parts. Likely best to start with the tensioner/belt and go from there but wanted to see what the consensus was or any anecdotes.

On a separate note, since I'm ordering parts I am also on the hunt for a hose I noticed had some fluid weeping when I changed the oil recently. I cant locate a diagram to identify the part, but its a 6 inch rubber hose that goes from the bottom of the radiator and connects to a hard line for the transmission. I cant get underneath to take a picture at the moment but there are two nipples coming out of the bottom of the radiator (left and right side) that are for the transmission. Each one has a 6 inch or so rubber hose connecting the nipples to hard lines going to the transmission. Ive tried to search but I cant find a diagram showing these parts. All I come up with are the bigger cooler hoses that are on the separate cooler located on the passenger side, which these are not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Could be idler pulley, water pump bearings or fan clutch. Can you use a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the source? Or even a pipe on your ear? That should help find the source.

The second part you are referring to is your transmission cooler hose (either supply or return). The leaking fluid is probably transmission fluid. When looking for a parts diagram, look at the transmission diagram.

1706384179567.png

I presume the leaking hose is one of the following, but please verify prior to ordering/replacing:
You should also replace the clamps...again verify the component/hose first, if you replace the hose(s):

Last edited:
Id would have to pick up a stethoscope to try that. As far as a pipe or similar, would be hard to get on the water pump while the motor is running but maybe not impossible. Ill see if I can find something skinny enough. Likely going to just start with the tensioner and go from there. Wasn't sure if anyone had a noisy water pump before, as I haven't come across that in my DIY repairs before.

Looks like #32941G is what iIm looking for. Thanks a lot on that one! The discount Toyota parts site would not cooperate when I was searching. Tried transmission and radiator searches with no luck. Looks like partsouq should be my new go to for diagrams. Doesnt help that im frantically trying to diagnose all these problems either.. Thanks for your help

Id would have to pick up a stethoscope to try that. As far as a pipe or similar, would be hard to get on the water pump while the motor is running but maybe not impossible. Ill see if I can find something skinny enough. Likely going to just start with the tensioner and go from there. Wasn't sure if anyone had a noisy water pump before, as I haven't come across that in my DIY repairs before.

Looks like #32941G is what iIm looking for. Thanks a lot on that one! The discount Toyota parts site would not cooperate when I was searching. Tried transmission and radiator searches with no luck. Looks like partsouq should be my new go to for diagrams. Doesnt help that im frantically trying to diagnose all these problems either.. Thanks for your help
Part number 9044517182... Partsouq is pretty well priced. I use if for a lot of my orders in bulk...In this case, the shipping/import cost might make it quicker and easier to just buy locally.

1706385068371.png
This is the hose that i'm looking for but having some trouble finding that one specifically. Not sure if they are interchangeable with the others you listed. All depends on the suffix apparently. Il keep digging and see

1706391317207.png

I'm getting these results. Not the same hose on the diagram but for $14 I'll see if its interchangeable. Thanks for the help

I look at it this way, on the 4.7, the timing belt interval is 90k miles. Common to replace the water pump, accessory belt, and all pulleys at that mileage too.

We have timing chains, but there's no reason to believe our water pumps last longer than the 4.7. So what I'm saying is, treat it like a 4.7 and replace all the front end stuff at 90-120k. This is probably about when the radiator crack starts to develop as well, so do the radiator and hoses.

Finally had time to work on the truck. Replaced the tensioner and squeal has been resolved. Water pump was dry. With the tensioner removed you have a clear visual of the main body of the water pump to inspect for a leak or evidence of weeping. With the tensioner located right below the water pump, makes sense why it was hard to isolate which part the noise was coming from. Overall question was whether a leaking or malfunctioning WP would make a squeal as it goes out.

Not sure why the tensioner went out so quickly. Still looked fine, felt like it had plenty of spring left with the breaker bar on it. Bearing made no sound when spun by hand and felt smooth. However, there was an unmistakable squeal when idling and the windows rolled down. With the windows up you couldn't hear the squeal inside the cab. Explains why I didn't hear it develop on the highway on the way home.

Also, part 90445-17182 IS the correct part for the AT cooler hose that attaches to the bottom left-side of the radiator despite the Toyota parts website listing it as incorrect for a 2008 and the part thumbnail showing a different hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom