Water Can Spigot Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you want to consume man made Estrogen compounds? Not me. That's some scary s***.

Great thread. Lots of good options I didn't know about.

Do you drink filtered water all of the time? You think the water infrastructure to your house does not allow things that would make you cringe into the system? I can't believe that anyone would think that the water that is coming out of that little spigot......99.8% for washing hands and dishes could cause any sort of health problem.

Funny thing, bottled water has less requirements than tap water.

I'm talking about the delivery from
storage to house. Or restaurant. Whatever. Either way, this bottle and garden spigot are for dish washing. Hand washing. Cooking.

I just had to push back on that comment. Sorry

You should see the crap in beer and soda lines in restaurants ;)

Someone else said 'keep it stupid simple'.
That suits me to a tee as you can see by sideways pictures!

Foodgrade pvc attached using brass garden hose joiner threaded spigot threaded in to plastic boss on my 20L jerry with some teflon tape .
No valve, no moving parts, no strain on jerry, literally a couple of bucks in parts.

Puppy dog approved! Lower hose end to dispense water by gravity.
I have a presta type bicycle tube valve stem threaded into the top cap to allow air in as jerry empties.

Hang hose up with hook when done dispensing.

I have had water leak once or twice on extreme rocky climbs otherwise almost child proof.

Since taking pics I added a brass garden hose connector/joiner to the loose end of the hose. To fill the jerry, connect to a hose tap with food grade hose and fill directly from a tap without removing the jerry from the vehicle

New twist on old solution. Just used rubber o-ring . Quarter turn valve

image.jpeg

I've used 20L water containers in oz for more years than I care to remember. Too many memories of pulling it out to dispense and fill. I always take a 1 gallon container as well for actual day to day use/cooking etc. Then dispense from the 20L to the gallon.

Anyhow, a couple of years ago I put together a gravity water filter scheme and would fill a shower bag with water to then filter through a hose into the 20L (no need to remove from the vehicle). Then since I had extra hose found I could easily siphon water into the gallon container. That worked well with no need to juggle the heavy 20L container around.

Then early last year I found a reasonably inexpensive company on the east coast (in oz) that will make custom water bladders exactly the shape/size you want and put fittings where you want them. Decent heavy duty material etc. So, I designed a wooden box (no 'bottom') and had a mate make it for me (since I was in the US and he leaves near my home in Perth AND he's a wood working wizard). The box/bladder was designed to be just over 5" high but sit between the wheel arches of my patrol and sized perfectly for the fridge and some other boxes to sit on top of it.

So, all I lost was 5" of vertical height which actually helps to raise everything up anyway. What I gained was a 70L water storage container that is 'built-in' and out of sight and safe and reasonably 'low' sitting the vehicle. The box bolts down to existing captured nuts (rear seats) so it is secure and not moving anywhere. I then strap the fridge down to the top of the box along with the other storage boxes. So, all nice and safe, nothing moves/rattles etc.

The bladder has an inlet fitting (on the top edge) and an outlet fitting (on the bottom edge). Hoses run in/out of the wood box and I have potable water hoses and valves connected. To make things 'safe', I can just clip the hoses higher than the bladder and nothing can leak even if there's a valve failure. Filling is just a matter of connecting a hose to the fill side or when bush using a 12V pump to transfer water through a filter from a water source. Dispensing is easy, just lower the outlet hose lower than the vehicle and open the valve - straight into a container or into the 1 gallon 'dispenser'.

When water is getting low it's just a matter of parking the vehicle at a slight angle to get the last of the water to flow out of the outlet fitting.

The whole scheme works great and only took about 30 years to stop using 20L containers :)

Unfortunately I never took any pictures of the setup last visit back to oz when I installed and used it during a 2 week trip to the bush.

cheers,
george.

Do you have a link to the custom bladder builder George? I'm keen to figure out something similar and I'd also be grateful if you could post your box dimensions for the 70L

Do you have a link to the custom bladder builder George? I'm keen to figure out something similar and I'd also be grateful if you could post your box dimensions for the 70L

Well, the bladder was for my Patrol - so not 80 specific.

But here's some pics of the bladder sitting in the box (upside down).

Custom bladder made to order:

bladder0.jpg

bladder1.jpg

bladder2.jpg

bladder3.jpg

Bladder was made to the specs below. Essentially 67L if a 'box', the bladder is of capable of filling the available box space which is a little larger.

bladders.jpg

The pics above before a big mouse hole was cut in the box. There are two pipes one is essentially inlet/breather and the lower becomes the outlet, gravity operated to empty. I use a small submersible pump to push water into the bladder through a Sawyer filter. A few drops of bleach flushed through the bladder prior to a trip sterilizes any issues, but since the bladder is under a box and not in light there's not really an algae breeding ground issue.

The box (metric since it was a mate in oz that made the box for me):

bladderbox.jpg

Again, this box was for my Patrol and designed to fit between the wheel arches and behind the driver/passenger front seats. My fridge then straps down to the box (the box in turn is bolted down to the floor via existing mounting holes). Tool boxes etc also strap down to the box. The strap downs are metal screw down swiveling brackets with captured nuts in the box plywood. Marine carpet lines the inside of the box to prevent and bladder rubbing issues. Captured nuts and bolts sit flush and don't protrude so no risk to the bladder.

usplastics.com is a good source for potable quality hoses/taps/fittings etc.

cheers,
george.

Well, the bladder was for my Patrol - so not 80 specific.

But here's some pics of the bladder sitting in the box (upside down).

Custom bladder made to order:

bladder0.jpg

usplastics.com is a good source for potable quality hoses/taps/fittings etc.

cheers,
george.

Thanks george, it helps to visualize how much space 70 liters is. I'm about to take my last 2nd row seat out permanently and add onto the front of my storage so there's room for a few things like water. etc. I have my fridge accessed through my passenger rear door as this seat is already removed and I think I'll copy your design and place a bladder under it

Thanks george, it helps to visualize how much space 70 liters is. I'm about to take my last 2nd row seat out permanently and add onto the front of my storage so there's room for a few things like water. etc. I have my fridge accessed through my passenger rear door as this seat is already removed and I think I'll copy your design and place a bladder under it

That's the beauty of volume - it's the product of Height, Length and Width, so just 1" increase in height (notice I didn't say length...) makes a large difference in capacity. 5" tall will be 5/4" more capacity than 4" tall. So, with my above dimensions I'd go from 67L to 84L... Of course that means you've gone for 67 kg of water to 84 Kg... Though at least with a bladder the weight is nice and low (floor level). Just plan your placement so that filling is easy (from above, small 12V pump etc) and make the outlet at floor level and gravity operated. Worst case park on a little slope to get the last of the water out if you run that low. No having to strap water containers down or having to haul them in/out of the vehicle etc. Keep a small water container (say 1 gallon) for all your day to day water needs and then top up from the bladder as needed.

Since most water is wasted washing stuff, I've learnt in the oz bush to minimise washing waste. For washing things (including stinky body) I've found a trigger spray bottle works exceptionally well and is very refreshing sprayed on your face if your're hot - even if all you have is a warm breeze. Of course once you find a decent source of water (water hole, tank, outcrop with soaks etc) then wash everything well including self... I've also stored 'washing' water in one of the solar bags - then just hook to the side of the vehicle (off the rack etc) when camped and you can use it to was things - basically the shower head is your 'spray' head. Set the kitchen table up near where you've hooked the water and all is handy.

cheers,
george.

Here is something I'm using from Living Overland... I did a quick blog post and video.

Living Overland H2O System

2015-06-15-20.06.09-600x450.jpg
SO I am considering making one of these but would like to be able to add a spray nozzle to wash my surf gear. Does the faucet head unscrew? Would it take a hose bib?

SO I am considering making one of these but would like to be able to add a spray nozzle to wash my surf gear. Does the faucet head unscrew? Would it take a hose bib?

I have this faucet on the Kamparoo sink and it won't accommodate a spray nozzle nor does it detach. But, I bet such thing exists.

I have this faucet on the Kamparoo sink and it won't accommodate a spray nozzle nor does it detach. But, I bet such thing exists.

Correct - not detachable.

Remember the whole faucet assy is screwed on the Septre original pour cap so you could probably create something.

Correct - not detachable.

Remember the whole faucet assy is screwed on the Septre original pour cap so you could probably create something.
I've been looking but I haven't been able to find a faucet with an electric switch to operate a pump AND allow a hose to be attached

I've been looking but I haven't been able to find a faucet with an electric switch to operate a pump AND allow a hose to be attached

There are two style of faucet that looks like the one in the above picture. One style has a built in switch, that goes "click" when you turn the large dial from OFF to on. Second style has no switch so it relies on the pump to automatically sense that the head pressure is increasing and stops the pump. I'm guessing, you'll want to order the first style of faucet with built in switch. I have the second style in the Kamparoo.

jmviV7lnW4_IUpn7YF-z51L9STNk04sILBM0PfX4nR2t_vNhdlvZI0wWiS27rNfgW7_xbCa8dulS3mdyHwzXA5qyW8qA3S8rDPPYMFijVG5yuuzs-SkLmqaL6oXMJ_1h4WemBA_v7hDZEGwtD-wvJR4h44zN8-Jg8udJkxAMsrhtKYG6kNjxsGLcUxXnFd15wrpC1dYODwzZYnT7DLjR-Rmj_MTvcKgHR1teTHWcXxpmHKGRNNV6e-c3ap1oVPChdjMIuVY4v9VRABj1DpQi5JA2HlN5-VK_dXqQCYMM6zOEqIZ_r4DGPTC87BBcX1R9p-qQWgkKpL_wvrBv5hlv1wE-44dMOEMV53xRvm4_UZhG4wwTjWca3cNObYChLZ9ld_n3g_ZTw-rD9cWyApj4wIlfYk9_nU2wwiDxXz9tBA1Wzg5JYNznvHbvP7YC8y5mEWC1YEfwQ8C7YGiYoXCXPeN15b2zq9cUZbGCgXrtIBpyGlfJFPPIYOj3p-cyMnvCtI1CasQbBNdFM7QtPA9Uon-PI1T4LipCHKJnHj0Lv9jTkf-HlkDeJwZ5ylxviQBanZwoPYH6ZIBAGe8zSch2u0bUKqiZmV0ycz9uqr3q=w711-h948-no
79VAVqtRMNqyPnkB4Z6d26wbhoqgo-daKV5qP9PzHA8tbyzH6u10Ucy38sgyoJ2p63fE78tN2m7kkVup3UGOSFZ9zXCbS0jG-GuuHUXfeOCXBIQk0w0hKra3t2L34pErJeRzzyLpjL630xNVQ5FbFyL2yjwirIH3dc5JsdWwAclzRKth2qeTcsPixw1-E20oPCRyeytegwXc1zSy61z1MfwjMpO4VLHX3G3YOCbIb86gPpGV1qSw8-kFICk5ooQUr1_yicn7LZdw3QHLzcbt2UY7cup1J4tZd4u7DD3b7rA4sOdxndg1cqy1wFB02TR7d9iLl-UQmvP3aIw2fqgU4TojqZJmCwHUVRuf5vwyoCf_W0QnyvSCeod1zSCml1nYBAj_kjMsXuZtw4VO-qz8iGlO9AlVIEgaMHLHaJuB3orWiU8mr_-YPgXicOSV8K_435eC9SExAesgIOLzi1pDqVKYdxt8tQOEcbmuH6XlFCUty_u8jny7fQxlLZw6_D1tDJe1Wlxm8j6rswohBHZsTGZM8i0dmFZq9hWajMp-E2MbAhHgC5EgfwRjGrp0oh1FlaBQRkJb4_6ScI84605Ji60mwuJjXtbXnkxG8_xL=w711-h948-no
wmd-klLF6cTAShz9rCLvYx9d-oo6GeS0BcYJMLNG_OLsBe_luX16CCIRMHAi7UAbBoOi-ewF4J-CV7GD26ZPh7mElhZj9zXgWLLzu9U9O0G_vLtL3wcW4CqerhWxDF_gsL7RxPfywJGus5qobFx4s45o-LYo2_wbPAE-Sug49-8HW4cqbwN-yrwCEqWccYbB3JL-tBx61plDzJPmW5kl7hmumHkpicQL4xNPELuTzSsHPO-Xw7wgBmtYXtvq4nDjTdMVUZ2DyKs93RmiaCDf0WsnA2XUsFqr9wQy0EUaE1O8mtYhvFWj9QtZTJTFoSrGOkBcpoY_6gkOLAAbJsKTpG0le-yOZN99gOfZKkHpo7hgZCxkPHwAwaIdnMq6_Q4t-0_qTzd1OoZAA8_XqtoDr9_Ka_IlUCCBbXK911r4phwGDpPduU-pZf8gpx5rk7myxhkMVqcjRc78VZc1S8JoN_3_Vw0RnrbnUWS-WfJfQBP6c9iK8v1K5eYtS2fsBX6O6WHeODSudnb7HWIdahwLg7d6fv2PlVHm_yKzYVEaRVOBy2hjQGzKSU0fMhTH_EX3QNHCL8lkudxoX3e9SdHT1LLgKniAQVMSz_AVVtlu=w711-h948-no

(save the $0.99 cuz you have a pile of hose clamps anyway ;)

next step, teflon tape, assembly and testing.
hH_Navbw5B2_mzdODw9XpxFcc3_D-TO3CwA8p5btPvFIn1IjBklafER5gKhHUaxz9tpaTudTj5ICfmawnJnMkUGTT0lZCdT0N_fqKWFSzsfPuzk4TqD3ux9cKCCSTn4xguq6YdUMhvclHnJhkT40YetuwqBw461uV1LXVsvdeMBHUpCGiN28kVt_AEIsU26NBwXIrLttk6t1uHOW8JXcEvZQJiFLa54wsseba0Lp8KxtI_mMhJDn2oB1coeu_GrnzzoNNlGChaQEg_TjtnfdM_S1pXJZUZ6tr52LO1dcLNIpmEV4MWowEbbaUDrVxGQBjvMf1VHu85m4_5zkXUHRcV-r1BjbWRyjX5AFQOxRsYwXaYUKuHeDPjeECYg_PBnQ6QulGFKQ1ytQT6_GquEkHBj_I_au3knJZAa7vwDj5p2x4J1GUbpYuffdWQk1wivzC8RZBUBI2GtzCCWcAX_zhgsoIpPJV2BWcfS4Y_YOeof2xe0qnEk2yEbG0D579c4Q74rrwQiruuMm-ktWMZscaF15It-lP1nnWFVqORuo7dPxiBTn32Jd6P3QP7CMGjXNnZldSxw893R3_W-R3yEuW0_7QB4pcDADekApTI3R=w711-h948-no

worked but long...
v5VFnyjy2WxNpeu_BJXLod6qzitzsAqCPVj5hzYUJRxDEMpbzcZi7ztySgDlHYz7OpFpYpr1B6VNo9LAfUfLjeRmtWGHwm3niJuqvbMwxJXCRaTvYI28NxSKLF4QKrWueY8OWTl8SAoLd1m8xZNBrtX3Gcx2Fv5TiNSJCERuunKYrveBu_xA73GNqsKgCZ1UWpf0KKTcs9O4garN6iYjDOJZrWU8PaEWnJ9x0uUzv2nkozJbX4dHHjLXvtb356EGbrpWhdMPkAnoiLSwFAXm8UpvaBmkCAhzFCj7k8o3gG6JEmrsakr7pJPFK2soKIo2hUbF_fZHNpGVbEtrKOPwvNnNXtCiDuXYEMtpAv4Tbw1-VYORB7HKZ3h8ANFQYqASzw9WGMuCptj1QgT9SmnoAwnr7zmfrZz8Qzj_fsnDdBp62DMfEtljN_Vn6ZF5u2ThNouimHAF5R1TXrdD1-b2n__xCkBkBCVPt1TjxzZl8Q_hlwBS8QHyYcOt0LK0NPS8Z54sZ4K8ZrvX48k_j6DRXdqVvJV06HChcPfaJaXG3kutVqB3cS9-6AN0gHlwZmYuJHM1MeT8T-MFBk_qQoIn6kDneWUGu2FQdKRjkmda=w1198-h898-no
WkOIr7U6utDZauxYRSTQRGSkvW0_MrTT4jEK2hDzneFs3sxTFQcYTrrpRrGzp-V0LOLEiQERxopEdB8cZ439d565a2g_PN0j2UN4GBbdIh3VitelWOhNRB6M9WDKCQuKHeWxJSpTEi6jBB4434t4dU4NwJTXvxDN8IbF4QTHIQK2zel1JZvyep5d62Uq4wgK66O_Ogd9Y5phLfKGuMtP-aM2edtXiRGv2EiHzbjCMvRK0cd0meOE5qLR6eugEW6QaI4uMmf58WwF9SjObluzmSjbBMf2iNKfFnVoM6CfUgcBx7jjh7zmhDjl5RujsCih5bez7WA3QhyjUWu-oy43ZK9udDvX6tya0wcfUMfsJZqoZmFWktHrkVBEhkATfbU0rTSk1HVALpo4GvMVWe-MYe5kV8wNX5YUes2_y4TIV1g5TlQTKC5QO4o1xkKUBLh0vt6XM6MsLzIu_4ooSLoAWocnSgA1zaJehQGNCf2ZCPEDKwep1-WTBJj61XqylBSek-bWnN5rJ1GVz2oPoQZ_orOKtnexnpDfBnhrLQMN1cQvBvt6f4Wgzqo6wlQtuQQvi19cBXGcxUAkSbO24yXfmOpZ5zpfCMwOd2yM-PzM=w1198-h898-no

ball valve pours well, great for filling pots for pasta night...

but as I said, long....
rTehpZex_HiZShs5AOoBrr3Grz_-pkHyC6s3Z6k2urLVYLPmplmzXbsEZW0eqVtQ717QjQ5GxcxIao2BH-iLyLeV-njSxgmKFzkkLe-8Wc8gSGz0LRImuHH0mn8fiCrRtWb2dkFwhf0pOG3yC3KfMFWj1azskg3H_GllzG0U_mDRmPyoe6Kgp9Mb31Di5-8d6DWMJVszhiF31VEaP8jrgvIBT0rUvuzKDY7rt7QMuNij7mid0pfD1uF0HX1TwBTv-qlVkxkDyRM19ybMPp_IUHwU538aOmigX38cm4lJESNlBAiXz_jm2zfbmT3k1Vi9vmBseuGR5qIeCjYh1DmiCyfhOMBdU7qgxNc7Gjm_LtSm_3qO24qjQc1eyG_u9hHolYF7w16zUNB9B3NawnNUtMYN9gLTDCo48ahwqa20HfmmLYLXVD71fdUzS4wOjvt6APwLQfWj4OEZ2uExlCSSDgb6cTPT_cKwtZk1eL2kSyeZb5lWmhPNr13pcn4-s3fbHjq5r-SyEZZa8IjvclnyPGepmGapSf1tEXV5_TMWCG8sa2t8LZiUF92l_hzH8MNT13mDBc31GJzaTnDOJ3aWD0ZyKCHjhMSg6Jjb0AoZ=w674-h899-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom