Water Can Spigot Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is something I'm using from Living Overland... I did a quick blog post and video.

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2015/06/living-overland-h2o-system/

2015-06-15-20.06.09-600x450.jpg

I'm curious, those of you with MFC cans, can they be permanently installed on their side so the cap is on the bottom? Do you have tighten them mofo so that they don't drip? I've never tried it so was mildly curious.

I've taken mine laying on the narrow side on a few long trips on both paved and gravel roads...
Zero drips...

I've used 20L water containers in oz for more years than I care to remember. Too many memories of pulling it out to dispense and fill. I always take a 1 gallon container as well for actual day to day use/cooking etc. Then dispense from the 20L to the gallon.

Anyhow, a couple of years ago I put together a gravity water filter scheme and would fill a shower bag with water to then filter through a hose into the 20L (no need to remove from the vehicle). Then since I had extra hose found I could easily siphon water into the gallon container. That worked well with no need to juggle the heavy 20L container around.

Then early last year I found a reasonably inexpensive company on the east coast (in oz) that will make custom water bladders exactly the shape/size you want and put fittings where you want them. Decent heavy duty material etc. So, I designed a wooden box (no 'bottom') and had a mate make it for me (since I was in the US and he leaves near my home in Perth AND he's a wood working wizard). The box/bladder was designed to be just over 5" high but sit between the wheel arches of my patrol and sized perfectly for the fridge and some other boxes to sit on top of it.

So, all I lost was 5" of vertical height which actually helps to raise everything up anyway. What I gained was a 70L water storage container that is 'built-in' and out of sight and safe and reasonably 'low' sitting the vehicle. The box bolts down to existing captured nuts (rear seats) so it is secure and not moving anywhere. I then strap the fridge down to the top of the box along with the other storage boxes. So, all nice and safe, nothing moves/rattles etc.

The bladder has an inlet fitting (on the top edge) and an outlet fitting (on the bottom edge). Hoses run in/out of the wood box and I have potable water hoses and valves connected. To make things 'safe', I can just clip the hoses higher than the bladder and nothing can leak even if there's a valve failure. Filling is just a matter of connecting a hose to the fill side or when bush using a 12V pump to transfer water through a filter from a water source. Dispensing is easy, just lower the outlet hose lower than the vehicle and open the valve - straight into a container or into the 1 gallon 'dispenser'.

When water is getting low it's just a matter of parking the vehicle at a slight angle to get the last of the water to flow out of the outlet fitting.

The whole scheme works great and only took about 30 years to stop using 20L containers :)

Unfortunately I never took any pictures of the setup last visit back to oz when I installed and used it during a 2 week trip to the bush.

cheers,
george.

Why a bladder instead of a hard (plastic) water tank - like those used in RVs?

What do you do to keep the inside of the bladder clean? I know the backpack water bladders need some routine maintenance to keep them bacteria free...

Because the bladder can be custom made to the exact size I want and it can conform to the space it sits in (inside a wood false floor/box etc). There's no sloshing in a hard plastic tank since the bladder 'shrinks' as it empties. Also, no hard plastic that can age/crack etc. For offroad use the bladder works great.

For <US$200 shipped, it was custom made to my required dimensions with fittings welded on etc. Takes minimal room since it sits on the floor and is totally protected.

A few drops of bleach can be flushed through if really needed prior to a trip.

cheers,
george.

Found some pics my mate sent me while building the box:

bladder1.jpg

bladder2.jpg

His trial fit with his 60L ARB, I have a 47L so a bit taller, but not as long

fridge1.jpg

fridge3.jpg

cheers,
george.

Found this (hard) RV tank after a quick search, (although I DO understand your thinking on the benefits of the bladder)

Price:
$189.95

Part Number: R-RVB425
Capacity: 25 Gallons
Dimensions: 36"L x 32"W x 6"H
Weight: 15 lbs.

I love all the creative solutions on this thread. I'm curious though, since we're using food grade water containers, shouldn't we be using the same for the spigots as well? I see garden spigots and the like and thought I'd pose this question.

Dunno about you, but I've drunk out of a lot of garden spigots in my life..

Damn, that's a good point too!

Food grade water spigots......that s*** is funny.

So you want to consume man made Estrogen compounds? Not me. That's some scary s***.

Great thread. Lots of good options I didn't know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom