Water Can Spigot Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I fabricated this using a sink pump from a trailer. It works well.
Truck 013.jpg
Truck 012.jpg

Last edited:
Nice solution for your use. I want to carry my cans outside (rear carrier/trailer/roof) and then be able to add the faucet. With the garden hose option of my last prototype if the can is on the roof of the truck it would be easy to rig a gravity feed shower or feed a sink and have some pressure...

I have one of the beige water cans shown in post #21 and the solutions above look great. Any discussion as to which materials are water safe? i.e. stainless steel / plastic. Is brass ok to use, I see it shown above as one of the solutions.

Stainless steel, brass, bronze, and copper are fine for drinking water. As for plastics, it depends on the plastic. Most plastics are safe.

Last edited:
Nice solution for your use. I want to carry my cans outside (rear carrier/trailer/roof) and then be able to add the faucet. With the garden hose option of my last prototype if the can is on the roof of the truck it would be easy to rig a gravity feed shower or feed a sink and have some pressure...
So, mount the pump faucet to a board and run a hose down into the jerry can. Use a stopper with a hole in it for where the hose goes into the jerry can if you want that sealed.

I like the ideas, but it requires too much time and effort for a relatively small payoff in terms of convenience. Lowes has a self priming super siphon style hose for around $10 (did when I bought mine to use for my scepter water cans.) what about having one of those handy? the only draw back is that the can has to remain standing tall but can still remain on the roof rack while dispensing.

I bought a male garden hose to male 1/2" NPT brass adapter, coated it with silicone adhesive on the NPT side, and used it like a self threading screw/tap. It threaded itself right into the plastic of the spout and the silicone sealed it up. Also got a garden hose thread cap for travel. In camp I stick the can up on the roof rack or on top of the trailer tongue box on its side and attach a 6 foot food grade garden hose and a pistol grip garden nozzle. Easy peasy.

Adds a little bit of height to the can but it still fits inside my M416, just barely touching the inside of the lid.

watercanspout.jpg
watercanspout.jpg

I have one of the beige water cans shown in post #21 and the solutions above look great. Any discussion as to which materials are water safe? i.e. stainless steel / plastic. Is brass ok to use, I see it shown above as one of the solutions.

Most of the faucets in your house are made of brass. ;)

Look for food grade plastics. Regular garden hose is not and will add some taste to your water.

I don't get it. What's wrong with the original spout that y'all have to fab up these ridiculous contraptions?

The easiest way to get controlled flow is to adjust the angle of the jug as you're pouring. :D

I don't get it. What's wrong with the original spout that y'all have to fab up these ridiculous contraptions?

The easiest way to get controlled flow is to adjust the angle of the jug as you're pouring. :D

When sitting in camp, especially with kids, it's alot easier to turn a faucet than to tip a 5 gallon jug.... but in support of your point-of-view I suppose one could argue that there is nothing wrong with leaning against a tree to crap instead of using that ridiculous contraption the toilet.

When sitting in camp, especially with kids, it's alot easier to turn a faucet than to tip a 5 gallon jug....

Oh yeah, kids.... :doh:
Didn't think of that.

but in support of your point-of-view I suppose one could argue that there is nothing wrong with leaning against a tree to crap instead of using that ridiculous contraption the toilet.

I WOULD make that argument, though I doubt my neighbors or girlfriend would agree. :grinpimp: Stupid society...

Funny you mention that though, I was actually going to make that argument over in the camp toilet thread what with all the ridiculous enclosures and fancy shmancy toilets they got goin on in there. But I thought better of it since everyone has their own ideas of what counts as camping.

why not a banjo tank flange,,,
Banjo Corporation Liquid Handling Products
drill a 2" ho an you can end up with a 3/4" threaded ho to full fill with the valve of ur choice
these will not leak if installed right
great for low pressure

The reason I have a sink pump on my water jug is because of the dogs. The jug is tied down the back of the truck all summer and in a couple of pumps they have fresh drinking water after their walk.
:cheers:

since my last link got booted
banjo fittings dot com has the double bulkhead,,,
should be about 1/2 the price of the marine place....
the are a good sourse for low pressure fittings,,,

As a followup, we used the threaded PVC ball valve all weekend with great success. Convenient and easy with no leaks. Hardest part was finding the ball valve assembly that I threw in my bag at the last minute. Works a charm without extra holes and still has the OEM look.

As a followup, we used the threaded PVC ball valve all weekend with great success. Convenient and easy with no leaks. Hardest part was finding the ball valve assembly that I threw in my bag at the last minute. Works a charm without extra holes and still has the OEM look.

:cool:

I'd be worried about messing up the threads on the can side if I was taking it apart all the time and with the ball valve itself torquing the cap all the time; that's some soft plastic. Keep us informed on the long term durability of your system.

Here's my solution, though I can't remember where the spigot came from. I had it on the shelf for years. Each 80 has this water can in the cargo area and it's primarily used for refilling water bottles. The water comes out of the sink RO filter so it's very tasty.
100_3008.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom