Builds Watch me tear my FJ40 apart!! 72 frame off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's coming together. Looks great. I would love to come by and see it one day.

I'm not as smart as you. I started assembling mine before a test fit. Fortunately I'm using all the original body parts.

Jeff

Your welcome anytime, I'm not working next weekend if your around.

Got a few hours in the garage and the build continues!

IMG_2888.JPG

So far so good everything is fitting together nicely. I'm hoping to have everything back together Wednesday. I do have a few things I need to address, first I'm going to have to get a new bolt kit for the top and doors. I just ordered Overland Metrics 1000 piece kit so I'm gong to wait for that to come in before ordering anything else. Both my doors have small stress cracks I need to weld, I will include a picture below please jump in if you think I need to do something else. I also have a dent on the front cowl where the hood bolts up. So still plenty to do before I tear it all apart again.

Door fit

IMG_2886.JPG

Door stress cracks
IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG

Well it’s all back together! I’m pretty happy with the fit on everything with the exception of the hood, it’s not horrible I just want to work on it a little more.

D197D9BE-144D-4E51-9636-23FA5955C7E4.jpeg
67535D4D-2B19-4153-837B-0556448BDC70.jpeg
61601DB5-54D5-4CF9-BCCC-918E802C441F.jpeg

Got mail today, thanks Overland Metric! I the kit came fast and was packaged well, I didn’t have much time tonight but from what I saw everything looked good.

8D7682AE-7B3E-45D9-BF75-F5F5D27BA2D6.jpeg

Only got an hour in the garage tonight but I started on my doors.

Before

1D560774-BBBA-4A60-8A79-1EA80D094CB3.jpeg
7B8DB2AC-94B4-407D-8CA8-6F32D59BB364.jpeg
82F83E12-5307-47AB-B34E-EEF660C8C9D3.jpeg

After

A0CA69DE-3036-4CFC-B3BE-4025F89EBFF5.jpeg
347643CB-CD45-42AC-8C7B-8F5A482CF100.jpeg

Not much done over the last few days, I did finish up my doors and started working on my trans tunnel. It was pretty sad to have to cut into a perfect trans tunnel but I have to modify it to fit the 4 speed.

Other than that as we move closer to paint I continue to go back and forth on color ideas. I thought I was set on Dune Beige but, Toyota came out with that cement color on the TRD PRO 4Runner that I really like and I've seen a few other grays that I like. I know it isn't a factory 40 color but I can't make up my mind. I don't care what it does to the value as I'm not planning on selling it and its pretty much a resto mod at this point.

Please give me your opinions!

Something like this

Toyota Heath Grey #113

fj45.jpg

Last edited:
I like the gray, gives it a classic and sophisticated look.

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go with the grey! Now I just need to order the paint so I won't change my mind again!!!

Sorry I’ve been away for a little while but with work and my new daughter I haven’t had much time. I have been getting a little work done here and there and hope to get some time tomorrow.

Anyways I have a little problem I’m hoping you guys can give me some guidance on. I can’t figure out the best way the mount the rear seat brackets for me front seats. My 40 came with a bench but I have decided to run buckets. I can’t just drill a hole in the floor and weld a nut on the bottom because the floor is boxed in. I know people do this all the time so any input would be great.

1642C33B-2CA1-4825-8E32-D43D5697E34C.jpeg

Josh

Also can someone give me measurements on how far the front drivers sits from the firewall. I’m just trying to get my measurements right before drilling holes!

Thanks Josh

Check into Nutserts

There are also SS toggle bolts used in marine applications

FASCO FASTENER Stainless Steel Togglers | West Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeith
its my understanding from reading i did yesterday that the tool also rolls the top of the nutsertslightly to help its holding power?

I was looking everywhere I could think of yesterday to try to find some tech specs on the loads they can handle depending on the thickness of the metal they're installed in, etc etc but couldn't find anything.
Only certain styles require the heads to be rolled.

There are two basic styles of threaded inserts: bulbing and a shear-type that uses interference to hold itself in place. The shear type are typically the cheaper ones you pick up from Pep Boys, etc. I would suggest the bulbing style for your application as they have a much larger load bearing area on the back side of the insert. You can also get them with splined bodies and large flanges to help resist spinning and give a large load bearing area on the top side of your application.

With respect to the bolts sticking in the inserts, put a little anti-sieze on the bolt and make sure the drilled hole size in the parent material is correct for the insert and that should take care of 99% of your problems.

Check into Nutserts

There are also SS toggle bolts used in marine applications

FASCO FASTENER Stainless Steel Togglers | West Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkeith
its my understanding from reading i did yesterday that the tool also rolls the top of the nutsertslightly to help its holding power?

I was looking everywhere I could think of yesterday to try to find some tech specs on the loads they can handle depending on the thickness of the metal they're installed in, etc etc but couldn't find anything.
Only certain styles require the heads to be rolled.

There are two basic styles of threaded inserts: bulbing and a shear-type that uses interference to hold itself in place. The shear type are typically the cheaper ones you pick up from Pep Boys, etc. I would suggest the bulbing style for your application as they have a much larger load bearing area on the back side of the insert. You can also get them with splined bodies and large flanges to help resist spinning and give a large load bearing area on the top side of your application.

With respect to the bolts sticking in the inserts, put a little anti-sieze on the bolt and make sure the drilled hole size in the parent material is correct for the insert and that should take care of 99% of your problems.

Thanks for the reply, I was talking to a friend that use to restore cars and he suggested the same thing. So I've been looking at the tool and nutserts on amazon. I haven't ordered one yet but I will be soon, I will keep everyone up to date on how it works.

Thanks again Josh

Yes I’m still alive!!

Sorry for not keeping up with everything better but between my job and my little girl I just don’t have a ton of time. I have been been slowly but surely chipping away.

D3FC5BA4-8269-4D9B-87A7-E35D2ED725BD.jpeg
67556C23-03D6-4C6A-8F07-904A3FFF0B09.jpeg
D99C372A-0788-4112-B218-DA191128D3B1.jpeg
0C651B23-76E9-460D-95FC-2E156A4D4A84.jpeg
1AD07036-AAEE-4D4A-8DBD-30E3731D8C12.jpeg

So as you can see I’m still test fitting everything as I’m really paranoid about painting it and things not fitting right.

My pro car seats came in and I’m still working out the details on the seat frames.

I order the humvee seat belt kit that some guys are running on here some once they comes in I will month them and make sure I have the seats where I want them. I’m still debating on a tuffy console or the cruiser crap one. If anyone has an opinion please jump in and let me know.

I will try to do better about updating!

Life is what happens while you’re making other plans- John Lennon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom