Builds WAS: 68 FJ40 in Seattle, Now: My 68FJ40 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PO of mine needed an intervention as well. I had 158(!) holes welded before I started taking it apart.

And even all those holes weren't the worst of it. That was his lack of recognition of his lack of skill with a stick welder...

Last edited:
Took a 4 day trip into the Cascades with friends mostly driving Stella, while I drove my '64. A maiden voyage, with no real problems. They both did well on some roads totally impassable to passenger cars.
20180805_160258.jpg

Glad to see you driving it instead of blowing it apart. Stella has character!

Well done; love your rig and the color:love:
Thanks, you can see her original "spring green" (?) peeking thru on the outside, and most of it wasn't repainted inside. I ponder the work and result of stripping it, as a citrus stripper removes the dark green later finish, without harming the original finish.

Glad to see you driving it instead of blowing it apart. Stella has character!
My French friend after driving them both said they had "different personalities" :)

Another view. With 5 people and 2 dogs, and some uncertainty as to how the old rigs would perform, the Prius came along to haul gear. Even with its back seats removed, it was packed pretty full. It stayed in camp for the duration.
20180808_223213.jpg

Last edited:
I ponder the work and result of stripping it, as a citrus stripper removes the dark green later finish, without harming the original finish.
As I ponder the day when I start to put Sweet Simplicity back together rather than dismantling it further, I’ve experimented a bit with a citrus stripper to see if I can get to it’s original paint. I’ve tried rubbing it on, leaving it on and even scrapping with it, all in inconspicuous spots. Not sure of process and success. Any further details on your attempts would be appreciated.

Nice trip and maiden voyage. That’s what it’s all about.

Last edited:
I'll look at the jug and see what I used. @oregon fj used a citrus stripper with great results on his glove box and ash tray. But I'll bet it all depends on what kind of paint that second (third, fourth?) coat was. For me, I'm afraid what the PO used outside on Stella may have been different than what came off nicely inside.
I haven't used it much, I'm afraid if I'm in a hurry and glop it on, the original finish will come off too. I just used as little as possible, a green pot scrubber, and some gentle elbow grease.

Mine was originally a white type color but I really like the Defender type green the PO did and, if the underlying color and primer wants to peek through, then so be it.

But I'll bet it all depends on what kind of paint that second (third, fourth?) coat was. For me, I'm afraid what the PO used outside on Stella may have been different than what came off nicely inside.
Indeed that appears to be the case. On my rig, the inside was painted with a color that was not one of the 3-4 coats of paint over the "bandaid" color on the outside. The inside paint came off easily with the citrus, and caused no damage at all to the factory paint, whether it was pewter or bandaid.

While I don't like bandaid as an exterior color, I tried the stripper on the outside anyway. It did not even soften any of the 4-5 outside paint coats.

I'd pondered selling Stella, having always
wanted a spring green FJ40. Little did I know I HAD ONE RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE! Sheee-it!

Tried this paint stripper on the hood and in 5 minutes:
20180911_194552.jpg
20180911_192730.jpg

Check back in a few weeks. This is going to be interesting indeed!

Last edited:
And now, she is definately not for sale.

Tried this paint stripper on the hood and in 5 minutes:

Check back in a few weeks. This is going to be interesting indeed!

Lol!

Was this rubbing during the 5 minutes or letting sit for 5 minutes and then rubbing?

Indeed!

I have done this on a few rigs, and am always amazed how tough the oem paint is! It’s a lot of fun too, to reveal the new old paint!

Bit of both, sat ~5, scrubbed 5. I wonder if it being cool and damp mattered. It may not seem to go so well when I tackle more at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom