Warn Hub Rebuild or Replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 76 FJ40 has Warn locking hubs, but they don’t appear to be the ones I have seen as “OEM” in some online catalogs. One of them is leaking quite a bit of grease around the top chrome trim. I am trying to find either replacement hubs or a rebuild kit. Anyone have any idea on either?

A cereal box sounds like it could solve some problems with that, or an o ring.

Pull them apart and see what's leaking.

My 76 FJ40 has Warn locking hubs, but they don’t appear to be the ones I have seen as “OEM” in some online catalogs. One of them is leaking quite a bit of grease around the top chrome trim. I am trying to find either replacement hubs or a rebuild kit. Anyone have any idea on either?

What kind of hubs do you have ? (pictures would help)

if leaking from the hub body, there is a good chance you need to go thru the entire knuckle assembly, as grease will generally not run unless mixed with gear oil from the diff.
unless the hubs are broken, there is no need to replace them
Warn hubs can be gone thru and re-sealed, part of the knuckle job.
40's in 1976 did not come from the factory with locking hubs, Warn hubs were either a dealer ad on or installed by a PO
the long body aisin/asco hubs were on 55 series from the factory. they are very expensive on the used market. Warn hubs will work just fine for normal trail use.

Last edited:
Whether you rebuild / reseal the knuckles, you’ll still need to source a Warn hub service kit (7309). It’s not the only source, but this kit is available from Amozon for 35 bucks.

And if you order the Warn hub service kit # 7309, inspect the contents right away. I had problems with the # 7309 kit form Amazon that I ordered two times. When I spoke with a rep at Warn, the kits he pulled off the shelf were wrong and he had now explanation. I don't know if they ever got it straight. Details in a thread "HERE"

Thanks for the responses. Here are a few pictures of what I am seeing…
FB033F7C-D03D-44DC-B37F-4D2215A8FDF9.jpeg
B2E4DF0D-C7A4-442D-A4DC-70CCC1E1844B.jpeg

If you can get some good measurements for the O-ring (square shape) you might be able to find a close enough replacement from these guys. They probably won't have one with the groove but the X-ring style might suffice.

Is the cap loose?
Doesn’t seem to be. I haven’t dealt with locking hubs much in the past so pardon my ignorance. Would pulling the cap off mean I have to get a rebuild kit or could I clean and close it and see if anything changes? Will also take a look at knuckle when I have some time.

Doesn’t seem to be. I haven’t dealt with locking hubs much in the past so pardon my ignorance. Would pulling the cap off mean I have to get a rebuild kit or could I clean and close it and see if anything changes? Will also take a look at knuckle when I have some time.
Just pulling the hub off and checking it out real good will be a decent place to start, looking at the back of the knuckle will tell you more. Grease shouldn't just flow out of that cap, it appears that you may have gear oil in your knuckle housing.

Nothing major, just a knuckle rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom