Warn 8274- is this a fair deal?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WSOPgold2012

MoxieMan
SILVER Star
Threads
"Warn 8274 winch with a full drum of synthetic rope, brand new motor and hd bearings. New solenoid and comes with wired remote - $1000"

Thanks

Screenshot_20210117-153854.png

Looks like a sloppy rebuild to me. Perhaps it works great. If so I'd want to closer to $500 than $1000 for that winch.

lol, what are hd bearings on a 8274?

If it was a "Full rebuild" then mabey 1k if done right, and I mean all new parts...wheres the 3 or 5 pin connector?

but on the contrary, anyone can paint, slap a new motor and throw a few parts at it and up the price tag...

New ones are what, $1,800 or 2,000? If it's in good running shape it would be worth it, but it's hard to tell that from the photo and description. But, you should be able to buy one for half or less of that one and rebuild it yourself.

^^^

This is a better idea. I wouldn’t trust someone else’s rebuild, especially for $1k. Buy one for $4-600, rebuild it yourself following threads on MUD & then you know that you have a good one.

Late to the party and not well versed in these winches beyond their part number, but...
...those weren't originally equipped with synthetic line were they?
And as such, at least with other winches made for steel, putting synthetic rope on risks the rope melting from drum temps.
Or maybe these winches don't have that issue due to their odd design?

8274 does not have an internal drum brake.
That being said, i personally think something would have to be going seriously wrong for a drum to melt syn line.

Late to the party and not well versed in these winches beyond their part number, but...
...those weren't originally equipped with synthetic line were they?
And as such, at least with other winches made for steel, putting synthetic rope on risks the rope melting from drum temps.
Or maybe these winches don't have that issue due to their odd design?

8274 does not have an internal drum brake.
That being said, i personally think something would have to be going seriously wrong for a drum to melt syn line.
Good to know.
Interesting. That's what I've come to understand...winches originally equipped with cable cannot run rope due to drum temps. Or put another way, winches equipped with rope are designed specifically to keep heat away from the drum.
You can run cable on a rope winch, but not the other way around. etc.
Superwinch for example (my current winch) forbids the use of rope on their cable winches due to heat.
Maybe it's rope/cable the connecting apparatus being different too?
Idk. :meh:
At any rate, sounds like the 8274 is not constrained by that issue (if it's even legit) for the reason you stated. 👍

edit:perhaps cable winches actually use the drum and cable as a heatsink to disipate heat from the motor and rope winches lose that ability due to the rope? Again, just spitballing...

Last edited:
Many folks use rope on their 8274 w/o issues.

I do not tho. I do like the advantages of rope, but where I wheel, steel cable suites me fine.

Good to know.
Interesting. That's what I've come to understand...winches originally equipped with cable cannot run rope due to drum temps. Or put another way, winches equipped with rope are designed specifically to keep heat away from the drum.
You can run cable on a rope winch, but not the other way around. etc.
Superwinch for example (my current winch) forbids the use of rope on their cable winches due to heat.
Maybe it's rope/cable the connecting apparatus being different too?
Idk. :meh:
At any rate, sounds like the 8274 is not constrained by that issue (if it's even legit) for the reason you stated. 👍

edit:perhaps cable winches actually use the drum and cable as a heatsink to disipate heat from the motor and rope winches lose that ability due to the rope? Again, just spitballing...

This is not necessarily true or a constant. Pretty much everyone is selling the same model winches with and without syn line. The winches are otherwise identical.

When using syn on a drum with internal brake, you should be aware of potential heat issues, but as mentioned, extreme heat from the brake should not be occurring under regular usage.
The brake is there to catch a freespool runaway etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom