Wanted Wanted fj62! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Hey, I'm new here, but I've seen some others post and get some decent responses, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am looking for a southwest fj62 (I am in LA) preferably under $20k, but that could be pushed for the right car. White or grey would be nice and mostly rust free and mechanically sound.
Ideally this will be a daily ready car (obviously mostly local and the occasional road trip/camping trip). I do not mind minor cosmetic or interior work, It does not need to be perfect by any means, but rather a platform for me to be able clean up and slowly work on over time.

Some background... I previously drove a 2007 Sequoia that was unfortunately totaled by a drunk driver one night while parked on the street. Although not the greatest in terms of gas, that was an amazing car that I really started to appreciate and enjoy maintaining (as it was a pretty unique vehicle), and so, I was very upset to see it end like that, but what can you do... Eventually I started to get over that and realize that I am gonna have to find a replacement. I started looking at 4runners, land cruisers, and sequoias, but I have always had a soft spot for the 60 series land cruiser, as it is a pretty good medium in terms of classic, practicality, reliability, and simplicity. I also got way more than I expected from insurance, so that helps open up more opportunities in terms of budget.

I'd love to be able to learn from others who are way more knowledgeable than I am, so feel free to respond with advice, or anything else, I'd love to converse with you guys. I have been browsing facebook and craigslist religiously for the past month, and only a few feasible listings have come up, so I am willing to continue to be patient to find the right one!

Thanks!
Alec

Your wishlist might be pushing you further past $20k than you think, given how wildly expensive 62s are these days. That being said, there's still deals to be had out there, just be vigilant in your search. I'd recommend being open to 60s, as well, since they are usually more affordable and you aren't beholden to the A440 (auto transmission) if/when it has issues. 60s are certainly more spartan with manual, well...everything. I was no mechanic when I bought my first 62 and, now that I'm in a 60, the engine bay is far less dizzying to the uninitiated, IMO. I always suggest to someone in the market that they find a way to drive one before investing time and energy into the search because it's really quite astonishing how slow they are. You get used to it, but your Sequoia will feel like a McClaren comparatively.

Lastly, point yourself toward the FAQ section in the stickies at the top of the 6x Series forum. There's at least a few days worth of required reading for prospective 60/62 owners. Best of luck.

Hey, I'm new here, but I've seen some others post and get some decent responses, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am looking for a southwest fj62 (I am in LA) preferably under $20k, but that could be pushed for the right car. White or grey would be nice and mostly rust free and mechanically sound.
Ideally this will be a daily ready car (obviously mostly local and the occasional road trip/camping trip). I do not mind minor cosmetic or interior work, It does not need to be perfect by any means, but rather a platform for me to be able clean up and slowly work on over time.

Some background... I previously drove a 2007 Sequoia that was unfortunately totaled by a drunk driver one night while parked on the street. Although not the greatest in terms of gas, that was an amazing car that I really started to appreciate and enjoy maintaining (as it was a pretty unique vehicle), and so, I was very upset to see it end like that, but what can you do... Eventually I started to get over that and realize that I am gonna have to find a replacement. I started looking at 4runners, land cruisers, and sequoias, but I have always had a soft spot for the 60 series land cruiser, as it is a pretty good medium in terms of classic, practicality, reliability, and simplicity. I also got way more than I expected from insurance, so that helps open up more opportunities in terms of budget.

I'd love to be able to learn from others who are way more knowledgeable than I am, so feel free to respond with advice, or anything else, I'd love to converse with you guys. I have been browsing facebook and craigslist religiously for the past month, and only a few feasible listings have come up, so I am willing to continue to be patient to find the right one!

Thanks!
Alec
Hello,
I have a 1989 FJ62 that I purchased in 2009 in Sacramento, CA. It is an original CA car and was actually purchased new in Sacramento, perfect weather for preserving a car, so it has ZERO rust. I did a lot of work on it; had someone that was a friend and a great Toyota mechanic rebuild the engine, I had a professional shop rebuild the transmission, put OME heavy duty suspension, just installed ARB bumper and winch, just installed-brand new Front Runner roof rack with Jerry Can holder tray. I love my rig, and never thought about selling it, but I am now contemplating getting a 200 Series so I can accommodate a big family on a road trip and going off-road at the same time. I see them go for a lot and I have not decided what I want for it. I would like to see if other members can chime in for suggesting a selling price. Much appreciated and best of luck to you.
FJ62 .jpg
FJ62 Side View.jpg

Your wishlist might be pushing you further past $20k than you think, given how wildly expensive 62s are these days. That being said, there's still deals to be had out there, just be vigilant in your search. I'd recommend being open to 60s, as well, since they are usually more affordable and you aren't beholden to the A440 (auto transmission) if/when it has issues. 60s are certainly more spartan with manual, well...everything. I was no mechanic when I bought my first 62 and, now that I'm in a 60, the engine bay is far less dizzying to the uninitiated, IMO. I always suggest to someone in the market that they find a way to drive one before investing time and energy into the search because it's really quite astonishing how slow they are. You get used to it, but your Sequoia will feel like a McClaren comparatively.

Lastly, point yourself toward the FAQ section in the stickies at the top of the 6x Series forum. There's at least a few days worth of required reading for prospective 60/62 owners. Best of luck.
Hey, thanks for the response, I am almost starting to think that my budget is too low aswell, but I like to keep hoping. I actually have gotten a chance to drive a 62 recently and I am aware of how slow they are, I don't really have a need to drive very fast, and I am a fan of the idea that it will restrict me from speeding hahaha. The main reason I am looking at a 62 is because they cruise a little bit better on the highway, if I got a 60, i feel like it would have to have a 5 speed swapped in already, which I am not sure if that will be easy to find (correct me if i'm wrong, ive never driven a 60, 4 speed or 5 speed). Also, I am not an expert on california emissions, but Im assuming a fuel injected cart will be easier to smog, and a little bit more reliable (again, correct me if I am wrong). And the power locks and windows would be nice. But that being said, I will start thinking about broadening my search. Also I will make sure to take a look at that FAQ section, thanks for the input man, appreciate it!

Hey, thanks for the response, I am almost starting to think that my budget is too low aswell, but I like to keep hoping. I actually have gotten a chance to drive a 62 recently and I am aware of how slow they are, I don't really have a need to drive very fast, and I am a fan of the idea that it will restrict me from speeding hahaha. The main reason I am looking at a 62 is because they cruise a little bit better on the highway, if I got a 60, i feel like it would have to have a 5 speed swapped in already, which I am not sure if that will be easy to find (correct me if i'm wrong, ive never driven a 60, 4 speed or 5 speed). Also, I am not an expert on california emissions, but Im assuming a fuel injected cart will be easier to smog, and a little bit more reliable (again, correct me if I am wrong). And the power locks and windows would be nice. But that being said, I will start thinking about broadening my search. Also I will make sure to take a look at that FAQ section, thanks for the input man, appreciate it!
You need to check out Nate’s 60 @mattressking thats for sale. If you can stretch your budget then you won’t be disappointed.

I'm in LA and selling mine. Happy to show it if you're interested. Below is a link to my for sale thread. Cheers

Having owned both, I'll say that yes, the stock 62 does cruiser better on the highway than the stock 60. The 4 speed isn't bad, though, and is really a nice, dependable gearbox. I can cruise at 70-75 with no problems right at 3000 rpms. I had smog gremlins with my 62 and I'm having them with my 60. I don't know if CO is as stringent at CA with our testing but old components can fail regardless of it being EFI or Carb'd. There's also a really nice EFI (Holley Sniper EFI) available for 60s, so keep that in mind if the carb scares you. I don't know if one is more reliable than the other. It's really just about how well the truck is maintained. There are carbed trucks that run like tops and EFI trucks that run like total dog****.

Thanks!
Alec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom