Wagon wheels versus Old School (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had an opportunity to get a set of 16" splits off my friends Troopy, but I decided against it when none of the local tire shops would touch the things. It seems splits are on some sort of black list.

just change\mount them yourself. It's really easy. Then just take em and get em balanced. Tire shops just don't know how to work on the toyota splits.

i'm not gay (or a chick) but i do like the look of the old plain white wagon wheels.

but, i must admit that wagon wheels don't look right on a cruiser with anything but a square bezel. but that's just me. does that make me "new old school" or "old new school" ???

i will agree with a few others on this thread, 16" splits would look great on your rig. black wall out, for any combo.

skinny 16" rims do limit the tire selection, but if you are looking to mount tall skinny tires, you should have no problems with finding a tire you like.

the nice thing about splits, is you can mount the tires yourself. do a little research (online, there is info out there) on how to do it PROPERLY, and you should be good to go.

there must be a reason that you can still buy a brand new cruiser with split rims downunder.

split rims can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing but, so can driving a car.

front hub caps on the back seem a little out of place.

even on blocks, it's still a very nice 45...

crusty

My truck has LT265-75R-16s on Toyota steel wheels, these are not 'skinny' tires and there are no problems with this combination.

What you're calling "old plain white wagon wheels" isn't what I was referring to was it?
images

just change\mount them yourself. It's really easy. Then just take em and get em balanced. Tire shops just don't know how to work on the toyota splits.

indeed :)
Split Rims changing tires

your truck came with them,
you definitely need them :D
Cheers Peter

Last edited:
Many tire shops don't like split rims or charge extra because they can be dangerous to work on if not done right!!

Think truck tire shops can do it.
Never had problems with split rims and tires shops here in Germany
Cheers
Peter

they are right many tire places here in the usa do not do split rims...because they think all split rims are dangerous. Old style splits from the 50's really put a damper on split rims here...they were dangerous.

toyota uses a "split ring" design...very safe IMO

the only danger is seating the bead while airing up...a simple chain around the tire is all you need.

The thing about split rims is that you do not need to bring them to a tire place...you do them yourself. Very easy to do.

X2 I agree with Peter ... split rims are the way to go for that rig :)

good thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/199121-255-85-r16-bf-goodrich-mud-split-rims.html

Hub caps.

But if you like wagons, get some stock white OEM wagon wheels from a 1980-1983 FJ-40 or mini truck.

Uh, where'd you get the sliding rear window? Nice!!

I bought the back of cab from SOR.So when it arrived,to my surprize, that was in it! ;) It is missing one of the sliding doors but I think I can make something work.It is also a factory Toyota part!:cool:

It is?? Any chance there is a part number on it?

Yes there is.I'll snap a pic of it in a little bit and post it on your thread about you looking for one so I am not hijacking this thread.:)

Where can I get a set of "old school" steelies with some stock tires? sorry to bring up blast from the past but my HJ is in some desperate need of a stock wheel and tire!!

Where can I get a set of "old school" steelies with some stock tires? sorry to bring up blast from the past but my HJ is in some desperate need of a stock wheel and tire!!

How stock? SnoCruiser stock? I have a set of 4 later model rims with the stock SnoCruisers still on them. Been saving them for someone interested in doing an OTT resto.:cool:

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom