VSC OFF switch install. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Disabling it is so I can drive like I choose to instead of the method being dictated by the vehicle. I AM the driver, not the car. Why should I have to push a button instead of the skinny pedal for one patch of sand? I'm glad to be rid of it. I have a brother who is a state trooper in WY. The FIRST thing he does when getting into the Dodge Charger is turn off the TC. It is problematic when you really have to drive hard. I stand by my opinion that these annoying features are for a populace that is increasingly inexperienced and will likely never venture off the pavement. Also, my world is a bit different because I put in a part time kit (another story there, but I'm happy with that decision too) so I don't have the "push a button" option. That combined with my general distain for nannies makes disabling them the right thing for me. Not saying it's right for everyone, but I am very, very happy with the nanny-free, 2WD operation of my Lexie and the corner drifting, wheel-spinning capability it now has.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. I just performed this modification on my 2006 and I'm very pleased with the ABSENCE of the annoying nannies. I can power through sand now without the stupid traction control bringing the vehicle to a halt. This crap is for people who don't know how to drive or don't want to. There. I said it.
Lehiguy, so you did what the OP did and all is good? One of the members here commented on how it changed his shift points and he had to revert back. I'd like to know as i have an 06 as well.

Disabling it is so I can drive like I choose to instead of the method being dictated by the vehicle. I AM the driver, not the car. Why should I have to push a button instead of the skinny pedal for one patch of sand? I'm glad to be rid of it. I have a brother who is a state trooper in WY. The FIRST thing he does when getting into the Dodge Charger is turn off the TC. It is problematic when you really have to drive hard. I stand by my opinion that these annoying features are for a populace that is increasingly inexperienced and will likely never venture off the pavement. Also, my world is a bit different because I put in a part time kit (another story there, but I'm happy with that decision too) so I don't have the "push a button" option. That combined with my general distain for nannies makes disabling them the right thing for me. Not saying it's right for everyone, but I am very, very happy with the nanny-free, 2WD operation of my Lexie and the corner drifting, wheel-spinning capability it now has.
can you specifically explain your wiring, or if anything was different from the first age of the thread?
I did this I think 3 years ago and I swear it was driving and shifting like it was locked in Hi. What I mean is slower acceleration and shift points exactly like it was 4 hi locked.

I should go over it and try again. I've just been waiting for someone with a vvti to verify it works.
I'm pretty meticulous with wiring but I could have made a mistake.

I'm also part time. Over 3 years now.

Well I finally went and cut & grounded the pink wire on my 2001 LC (not LX as the OP)...and it disabled the ABS, not the VSC. Anyone with an 01 specific FSM out there that can tell which wire is the correct wire to ground in A43??

Edit....helps to plug the A43 back in. VSC deleted!!!

Last edited:
Yes, it is pink with black tracer, second plug down from the top.

Thank you for this mod.

While testing the VSC mod ATRAC applied the brakes for second at 60MPH. Very wet conditions with bald front tires. Perhaps I was hydroplaning.
My understanding is ATRAC primarily works when under throttle... Once you let off the throttle things change.
There were some nice YouTube videos on ATRAC years back.

I need to dig a bit more though.

I used this switch because I like the way it looks: https://amzn.to/2xjaYva
I got the same switch after seeing yours and the price, the terminals are super small but I found some super small insulated spade lugs that fit.

Turns out the three terminals that are inline with each other have continuity between two at a time, depending on the button position, the center one I made the ground, one side to each of the ends after cutting the wire. I just made sure the side that connects to the ground is the ecu side.

This way when the switch is out, its the normal connection. VSC works…
Push the button, severs the factory connection and grounds the ecu side and you get the VSC light on the dash.

Works like a champ, I have a couple tight off camber turns that really make VSC sound off even you feel your not going fast at all! But wanted to keep it active for freeway things like deer here in the WNC mountains!

After we get back from an upcoming trip I may look into a factory VSC switch like is found in the FJ I think.

Will need to track down the plug and some terminals also…

A06E3F52-6749-44EE-BFF0-CE0AAA202B18.png

Sooo,

Quick question for you all who have disabled the VSC.

I did a momentary switch so I could disengage and reconnect the connection as I wanted.

Today while in a pretty tight turn on dry asphalt (my switch was engaged and VSC was lit up on the dash like it should be turned off) and my skid control light started flashing and the beeping was there as the body rolled a bit,

33s don’t help either….
I also should add I did a ZPC with Tech-Stream a while back.

This happen to any of you?

Wife and I were coming back from vacation and almost home, it was the round about at Sierra Nevada and that's when it happened. She heard the beep and was like, “you told me you had that switched off” Ooopssss.

Last edited:
Anyone got a video on this mod? Some of us cant read wiring diagrams with our eyes closed. LOL.

Bumping this thread as I have had my first time experience with this VSC crap.

I regularly trail at a spot by my home so I am very familiar with the route to get there, all the curves and uneven off camber turns. Today the VSC engaged several times and I had no idea what was going on. I've only read this thread up to the points of "how to" but not the "why".

To clarify, this road is paved and involves a few switch backs and tight uneven curves before getting to the mud/gravel parts of the trail. I have never experienced this before having driven this road many times. I find it somewhat ironic that after reading all the responses, people have pointed out that this may be caused by worn rack bushings, play in the wheel bearings, and loose or worn suspension components. Well, funny thing is that I just replaced my rack bushings last weekend and my suspension/bearings are recently refreshed...

I'm not the type of person to just start cutting wires, so my steps for corrective actions are:
1) Get an alignment
2) Perform ZPC
3) Install the following switch: CH4x4 Push Switch for Toyota - VSC Symbol - https://www.ch4x4.com/product/ch4x4-push-switch-for-toyota-vsc-symbol/

All I want to do is to be able to turn VSC on and off (simple enough)

Using the diagram/pictures below, am I correct in understanding the wiring question as a few people on here have also inquired?

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.15.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.15.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.03.21 PM.png

TIA

You are going to cut a wire, because that is what is required to install the switch. This is the same switch I used, although they sent me a green lit switch and it looks out of place and is bright. The vsc off light will still function on and off depending on switch position. I used a relay to get the positive click sound, but probably not required.
Everything has been answered at the beginning of this thread post, including the detailed install pictures, different methods to wire the switch and the wire to clip...

You are going to cut a wire, because that is what is required to install the switch. This is the same switch I used, although they sent me a green lit switch and it looks out of place and is bright. The vsc off light will still function on and off depending on switch position. I used a relay to get the positive click sound, but probably not required.
Everything has been answered at the beginning of this thread post, including the detailed install pictures, different methods to wire the switch and the wire to clip...
Yes, it has been covered many times, yet the same questions keep coming up because not all of us are electrical engineers. To be clear; there is NO confusion in which wire to cut, the confusion comes in wiring a switch. The pictures and explanation I posted are either wrong or right. That is the only clarification that is needed in this thread.

The pictures posted at post #11 are self explanatory by @LostAfrican . That is how to wire it to a relay. Any generic relay you use has the pins labelled so it's easy to follow. If you wish to run just a simple on/off that is also possible with no relay, as you are just grounding the vsc ecu.
Please if you do not understand electrical then you should find someone who does as you can cause blown fuses, shorted out components, or worse, an electrical fire.

The pictures posted at post #11 are self explanatory by @LostAfrican . That is how to wire it to a relay. Any generic relay you use has the pins labelled so it's easy to follow. If you wish to run just a simple on/off that is also possible with no relay, as you are just grounding the vsc ecu.
Please if you do not understand electrical then you should find someone who does as you can cause blown fuses, shorted out components, or worse, an electrical fire.
Gotcha. So i'm still able to achieve the same goal with just a simple switch and no relay to turn ON/OFF the VSC. Stupid question; but what's the point of the relay?

The relay gives you an audible click when you push the button. :cool:

Finally got around to doing this.

Big thanks to both @LostAfrican for the relay wiring diagram and help and @aedgington for selling me his LX last year! Of course thanks to @Odyseuss for starting this thread.

I used @LostAfrican 's relay method and wired it up to a switch that I made using parts from a 4Runner/FJ A-Trac Switch and VSC Switch. The A-Trac Switch is a non-momentary switch so I used its internals but used the VSC switch button and housing because the housing had the same type of connector that was already present (and unused) behind the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel. Originally, I purchased only the VSC switch had attempted to convert it from a momentary switch to a non-momentary switch however I did not have luck in doing so. YMMV, and the instructions to convert it are below:

I'm really happy with the end product, its exactly how I wanted it to look and work. The only caveat being the filter on the VSC light is orange and not green like the rest of my dash buttons. Hopefully I can find a green filter soon!

1654384288580.png

VSC Switch 84988-35070
1654384380178.png

A-Trac Switch 84988-35060
1654384466029.jpeg

5-pin Dorman relay attached to side of the ABS, BA, VSC, TRAC ECU
1654384598559.jpeg

Finished product!

Just giving this a bump for anyone in need. Months of dealing with vsc due to dying rack and bushings bad. Did a quick cut and ground of the pink and black stripe wire mentioned and no more vsc. Need to get rack done desperately but this will atleast stop the braking jerk and alarm. Vid attached of rack moving. 388k on clock

So, I did this today on my 01 Land Cruiser and I’m not 100% sure I did it right.

Found A43, found pin 3 (which was a different color for me, but the pink/gray/black was present in a different location). Connected pin 3 to ground. Started it up and no VSC OFF light.

VSC off didn’t illuminate on startup (does it usually, I’m unsure now). Anyway, here’s a pic. You can see the pink/gray/black stripe on the other end opposite from pin 3).

I haven’t taken it for a drive to see if VSC will act up, but the lack of VSC OFF makes me think I could’ve screwed it up.

9E1A4315-5329-4E6F-8F22-0CCCCC8AF325.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom