Viscous coupler is "seized." (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

Shop is swapping out shaft seals on the TC and I also asked them to help diagnose the no-CDL issue.

They cracked open the case and told me the VC is all seized up.

I was going to have them replace it. But he said with oversize tires, it will just seize again. I'm running 35s.

I always wanted a part time kit. Is this the time? What's an average cost for a PT kit installed??

Any other wisdom is appreciated.

Scott

Doesn’t sound right...something is not right with the storyline you have been given, I think. Was the transfer case run dry?

Just go without it, you don’t need it.

I picked up my 80 knowing the VC was shot, felt like the CDL was locked all the time, birfs clicked, tires scrubbed in turns, generally drove like cr@p. Took me about 3 hours to open the back of the case and get it out, night and day difference. Added a CDL switch and did the pin7 mod so I can control when I need the CDL engaged (high or low).

Having it gone made a massive difference in the driving experience. Birf click was gone, but a switched sides with them over the holidays when i did my birf job.

Just go without it, you don’t need it.

I picked up my 80 knowing the VC was shot, felt like the CDL was locked all the time, birfs clicked, tires scrubbed in turns, generally drove like cr@p. Took me about 3 hours to open the back of the case and get it out, night and day difference. Added a CDL switch and did the pin7 mod so I can control when I need the CDL engaged (high or low).

Having it gone made a massive difference in the driving experience. Birf click was gone, but a switched sides with them over the holidays when i did my birf job.
My rig has a factory CDL switch already....

My rig has a factory CDL switch already....

I just mounted 35’s myself, and if I had my case open I’d be going gear reduction before part time, just me. You might already be geared down.

Point of my first reply was that I don’t think the VC serves a meaningful purpose and you are fine without it.

But he said with oversize tires, it will just seize again. I'm running 35s.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Please explain how tire size can cause a VC to fail.

So...stupid question. Why would I pay for a part time kit if I can just pull the VC and still run part time with the switch??

So...stupid question. Why would I pay for a part time kit if I can just pull the VC and still run part time with the switch??
The VC is not what enables full time 4wd. There is a center differential inside the transfer case, and that locks/unlocks with the switch.

The VC is not what enables full time 4wd. There is a center differential inside the transfer case, and that locks/unlocks with the switch.
Thanks. So just pull the part. Sounds like the best course of action.

With the VC removed is there not more drive line slack/clunking from the front end?
Thought I have read this before?

With the VC removed is there not more drive line slack/clunking from the front end?
Thought I have read this before?

Its been about 4 months since I pulled mine and I have not noticed any new clunks. If anything it really freed up how the truck feels in highway driving, hard to explain but mine was toast so it was very bound up before I yanked it.

Mine was seized when I bought it. Pulled it out and have had no issues since. Drives great. Took me about 3 hours to pull it out on my driveway with the wheels on the ground. Do it and don’t look back lol.

We throw them away on a regular basis. Totally worthless.
This sweeping generalization is far too broad, and therefore, I can point out a valid counterpoint.
If I were driving over mountain passes in snow or ice storms, that is where the VC provides a real benefit - it is a limited slip torque transfer between front and rear axles. Locking up the diffs in super slick conditions might cause all your tires to spin, resulting in you slowly sliding sideways off the road.
If, however, taken in the context of summer time driving with good traction, this thought has merit...
But, the VC provides no basic operational capability that you don't have without it.
p.s. But, on the other hand, if yours truly has failed and is now locking the center diff full time, well, that's really bad - high stress and wear on the entire drivetrain, in normal good traction conditions - even worse than totally worthless :lol: - and your are far better off to remove it.

Last edited:
Well, thanks again everyone for the input. We pulled it. I'll report back :)

This sweeping generalization is far too broad, and therefore, I can point out a valid counterpoint.
If I were driving over mountain passes in snow or ice storms, that is where the VC provides a real benefit - it is a limited slip torque transfer between front and rear axles. Locking up the diffs in super slick conditions might cause all your tires to spin, resulting in you slowly sliding sideways off the road.
If, however, taken in the context of summer time driving with good traction, this thought has merit...
But, the VC provides no basic operational capability that you don't have without it.
Pulled mine last summer. have done lots of testing in the snow on the roads. It will spin A tire slightly easier when harder on the throttle but most conditions like this I'm running fairly low throttle. If I am in something with very low traction will lock CD. bottom like is I don't regret it for traction and my drivetrain will likely last 10x longer without the VC binding.

this is well documented if you do a quick search. If i try to explain it i will make a mess of it. But pulling the VC will NOT give you a part drive. Even if you intall the locking hubs you will still NOT have part time. If you want part time you have to install hubs and the part time transfer case parts.

Last summer i went through all this. Did the part time kit, Marlin lowe range and the high range gears and hubs. Its a nice setup but in hindsight i probably should have just left it AWD and saved a bunch.

Ok, dumb question, how can you diagnose a seized VC? I jacked up one rear tire, one front tire and tried to spin a tire and it would not spin. Is that the test with transfer in neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom