Vents? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So these are behind the bumper on the LX 570 (I’m sure LC too). I’m assuming their air exhaust vents. There were plastic covers that I proceeded to rip the heck off when trying to install my bumper. Ok?

Picture of the fender behind the wheel where the bumper panel was

IMG_2200.jpeg

They are baffles to equalize interior pressure. When you slam the door it creates a spike in air pressure and these vent it. Have a friend slam the door and you can see it.

Stick those covers back on before installing your bumper.

The part that ripped off is in your hand?

To me that looks like an accessory to help the flaps prevent water ingress in bad conditions.. I’d want them to stay on under the bumper, personally.

The part that ripped off is in your hand?

To me that looks like an accessory to help the flaps prevent water ingress in bad conditions.. I’d want them to stay on under the bumper, personally.
Exactly. I would not take those off, you might find a nasty stinky muddy mess inside your rear quarter some day.

All of that seems logical. It has to be there for a reason. To be honest, it’s all pretty open and seems like it’s probably to keep the flaps from catching on the inside of the bumper. It couldn’t keep water back and it’s open on all sides. It has all the water rejection of a pergola with 4 open sides in the middle of a park.

Both broke off straight away when installing the bumper. Gluing the plastic back on is always a hard ask. Working on it but may

Both broke off straight away when installing the bumper. Gluing the plastic back on is always a hard ask. Working on it but may
I've had good luck with OSI QUAD caulk, just clean the plastic well with alcohol.

For the left side on a 14 LX the part number is 62904-60061

Appears to be the whole assembly with flaps and everything, not just the cover.

Those vents are the exhaust for the climate control. Fresh air comes into the cabin through the dash vents and exits the cabin through the vents you see behind the plastic protector (which prevents direct splashes of water from entering cabin). If you touch the rubber flaps on the vent, you'll see they are quite thin and lightweight so air can easily exit cabin, but seal shut for air in the reverse direction. As others have suggest, they should stay in place.

To be honest, it’s all pretty open and seems like it’s probably to keep the flaps from catching on the inside of the bumper.
Seem "pretty open" and "four small holes at the bottom to prevent water ingress as you wade through deep water" are two different things. Now I would not recommend wading through deep water for all sorts of reason (starter, alternator, diff/transfer vents, other low cables and connectors) so then it is probably not a big deal. Heavy rain water though at speed can flow along the body and may yet cause ingress over time.

Could you glue them back in place?

Vents are also important for airbag deployment.

I just realized the first picture also shows the mysterious rear sunroof drain.. it’s the rubber nipple above and forward of the main vent flap assembly.

Seem "pretty open" and "four small holes at the bottom to prevent water ingress as you wade through deep water" are two different things. Now I would not recommend wading through deep water for all sorts of reason (starter, alternator, diff/transfer vents, other low cables and connectors) so then it is probably not a big deal. Heavy rain water though at speed can flow along the body and may yet cause ingress over time.

Could you glue them back in place?

The car is designed to wade through water (extended breathers stock), and the brown rubber flaps in the first post are still in place and part of that design. What broke off is a baffle that controls their movement.. if anything needs to be glued it’s that.

I just realized the first picture also shows the mysterious rear sunroof drain.. it’s the rubber nipple above and forward of the main vent flap assembly.

The car is designed to wade through water (extended breathers stock), and the brown rubber flaps in the first post are still in place and part of that design. What broke off is a baffle that controls their movement.. if anything needs to be glued it’s that.

Understand the car is designed to wade through some level of water. Primarily pointing out that the piece held in hand does have a function to divert/deflect water (when driving through deep water or possible heavy rain conditions). If that depending on the use is not considered important then leave it off. Does seem to me you would want to re-attach and use also with the aftermarket bumper in place.
1707241693749.png

Understand the car is designed to wade through some level of water. Primarily pointing out that the piece held in hand does have a function to divert/deflect water (when driving through deep water or possible heavy rain conditions). If that depending on the use is not considered important then leave it off. Does seem to me you would want to re-attach and use also with the aftermarket bumper in place.
View attachment 3551843
Ah, sorry, I misread "glue them" as the flaps themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom